Friday night fever: Cove vs Queen's Park

Friday night under the lights (and about 8 layers of clothes no doubt) see's Cove welcome Queen's Park to Balmoral. Our first ever televised league match. Sadly not holding out for a big crowd due to the aforementioned and the fact the Dons play Hibs at Pittodrie that same night.

Must admit I don't mind playing on a Friday as it means I can get to another game as a neutral, where ever it might be, on the Saturday.

Cove coming into this game after an embarrassing collapse against Accies. Dominated the opening 55 minutes, 4-1 up and then took an almighty suck of the gas and went giddy. Fair play to Accies for taking advantage and nabbing a point.

Cove have no doubt improved since the reserve fixture at Ochilview a couple months back, have goals in the side but even with defensive reinforcements are struggling to keep clean sheets. Just 2 in 13 league games so far.

2 defeats, 4 draws and 2 wins in our previous 8 games since our 2-1 loss against the Spiders. 15 goals for, 15 goals against and 10 points from 24.

We should see Fyvie return to the match-day squad after 6 weeks out. Whether he starts will be interesting to see. For me he does. We've played 4-4-2 the last 2 games which has added to our attacking threat. If Fyvie starts we might go 4-1-4-1 with Fraser playing the number 10 role. Only player who definitely won't make it will be Kyle McClleland.

Spiders last result was a draw against Dundee after being up twice and denied the 3 points with a goal in the last few minutes. Still flying high in 3rd place.

3 wins, 3 defeats and 2 draws in the last 8 games. 11 goals for, 13 goals against and 11 points from 24.

Dom Thomas will miss this one after a late double yellow against the Dark Blues. A loss as he's definitely got creativity and goals. Spiders have very capable options on the bench. Will Savoury get a start? Thought he was outstanding at times last season for Peterhead and started this season very well too.

Expecting a tight, competitive match. Very difficult to predict the outcome. Bookies make Cove the slightest of favourites with the home advantage no doubt being a contributing factor.

Screenshot_2022-10-31-14-04-38-59_875a1ca781d4e761f0c51523b2fb9a8d.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

It’s Another friday night fixture this time it’s a trip to Balmoral instead of Ochilview (For once) sadly won’t make this one but will watch the game on BBC Scotland.

After the run of 1 point from a possible 9, Queens have picked themselves up with the results against Thistle and Dundee and I’m hoping this is the start of us going on a little run. We were unlucky on Friday and should of won against Dundee but it was yet again defensive ineptitude that costed us a valuable 2 points. Would’ve token 2 all before the game but seeing how average Dundee were and the chances we had, we should’ve punished them. Anyway, Watched the highlights of the Hamilton game and while it was an entertaining game Cove should’ve won it with the 4– l lead they had. They’ve slowly started to pick up since the last time we meet in August so it honestly could go either way IMO.

The Question that’ll be on every Queens fan lips is what 11 will Coyle start? With Thomas suspended, is Savoury 100% ready to start? He’s been getting minutes off the bench but with the bandage on his hand looking like it’s getting bigger every week will be able to play a full 90? Is it time for Ferrie to be dropped? Bit Harsh but Clearly wasn’t at his best against Dundee and maybe it’s time for Heraghty to have a go. Will Williamson ever get a start or even an appearance of the bench cause honestly I’d rather have Lennon Connolly have some minutes than Johnny Kenny (he can go F*ck off back to Celtic in January for all I care) hopefully Charlie Fox is fit (fingers crossed) to be on the bench for the game. Coyle might choose to rest a few players like Robson, Eze and Murray but I’d go with this lineup:

Ferrie

Bruce Kilday Bannon Davidson

McPake Thomson Jarrett Boateng Savoury

Williamson

Really Experimental lineup but if there was a time to do this it’s on Friday and hopefully Queen’s Park finally take their chance of going top of the league for a few hours for the 2089th time. Have a good Week everyone.

P.S. Cove fans any idea on how to build Temporary Stands in the shortest amount of time cause at the rate Lesser Hampden going we need all the help we can get. Also feel free if you’d make changes to the lineup👍🏾

7 hours ago, h_w7864 said:

It’s Another friday night fixture this time it’s a trip to Balmoral instead of Ochilview (For once) sadly won’t make this one but will watch the game on BBC Scotland.

After the run of 1 point from a possible 9, Queens have picked themselves up with the results against Thistle and Dundee and I’m hoping this is the start of us going on a little run. We were unlucky on Friday and should of won against Dundee but it was yet again defensive ineptitude that costed us a valuable 2 points. Would’ve token 2 all before the game but seeing how average Dundee were and the chances we had, we should’ve punished them. Anyway, Watched the highlights of the Hamilton game and while it was an entertaining game Cove should’ve won it with the 4– l lead they had. They’ve slowly started to pick up since the last time we meet in August so it honestly could go either way IMO.

The Question that’ll be on every Queens fan lips is what 11 will Coyle start? With Thomas suspended, is Savoury 100% ready to start? He’s been getting minutes off the bench but with the bandage on his hand looking like it’s getting bigger every week will be able to play a full 90? Is it time for Ferrie to be dropped? Bit Harsh but Clearly wasn’t at his best against Dundee and maybe it’s time for Heraghty to have a go. Will Williamson ever get a start or even an appearance of the bench cause honestly I’d rather have Lennon Connolly have some minutes than Johnny Kenny (he can go F*ck off back to Celtic in January for all I care) hopefully Charlie Fox is fit (fingers crossed) to be on the bench for the game. Coyle might choose to rest a few players like Robson, Eze and Murray but I’d go with this lineup:

Ferrie

Williamson

Really Experimental lineup but if there was a time to do this it’s on Friday and hopefully Queen’s Park finally take their chance of going top of the league for a few hours for the 2089th time. Have a good Week everyone.

P.S. Cove fans any idea on how to build Temporary Stands in the shortest amount of time cause at the rate Lesser Hampden going we need all the help we can get. Also feel free if you’d make changes to the lineup👍🏾

Ferrie still first choice for me.

It would seem very harsh to leave out Robson with 2 goals in 2 games from left back. It would be great to give Bruce some game time, but I don't think now is the time.

I also would have Murray starting and hopefully not being subbed for Kenny when we still need him to see the game out.

Williamson surley now deserves the chance to replace Murray over Kenny if/when necessary.

Biggest question is who replaces Thomas. Savoury would be the obvious choice if fit, but both Moore and Davidson (or even Bannon) are possibilities to start, or replace Savoury later in the game.

I'd probably keep the same back 4 as the last 2 weeks, though Davidson for Bannon may be a consideration.

8 hours ago, h_w7864 said:

Ferrie

Williamson

Straight swap for Thomas and Savoury for me and that should be the extent of our changes. We’re not at a stage of the season where experimental lineups should even be considered yet, especially when your suggested changes are Murray and Robson. Two incredibly key players that are in that ‘undroppable’ bracket at this stage. We lose so much as a team when Murray isn’t on the pitch. Even if he isn’t playing well, his sheer presence and energy up top occupies defenders. Williamson is a similar mould to Murray but seems slightly more natural with his positioning and runs in the 18 yard box. Shocked he’s not getting played at all recently

We need to get as many points as we can going into the new year. Get into January, make a couple of smart additions and really push on for the playoffs. The league is so tight currently that a run of 3-4 wins on the bounce could fire you ahead at the top of the league. With cove, Inverness, Raith and Hamilton as our next 4 games, it’s a real opportunity to potentially pick up a lot of points and to do so, we must have our strongest players on the pitch 

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

They've a cheek moaning. They took about 20 to Ayr on a Saturday afternoon match when a win would have taken them top.

Ayr fans continuing to be concerned with the size of our travelling support…..

The reality is that our support has held up pretty well considering we haven’t had a home game in the south side of Glasgow since March 2020

We’ve never really had much of a casual support who turn up only for big games. Like Ayr have when an older, more successful, better Ayrshire Team come to town.

6 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Ayr fans continuing to be concerned with the size of our travelling support…..

The reality is that our support has held up pretty well considering we haven’t had a home game in the south side of Glasgow since March 2020

We’ve never really had much of a casual support who turn up only for big games. Like Ayr have when an older, more successful, better Ayrshire Team come to town.

It’s ultimate wee guy behaviour. The likes of Livingston take pelters for it as well and they became a bigger and more successful club than Ayr ever were within less than a decade of formation. I’m sure Livi wish they’d won the “more fans at big games” cup rather than actual trophies and top flight promotions, though.

Onto the game. Savoury for Thomas would be my only change. We’ll either win or lose 5-2.

8 minutes ago, an86 said:

It’s ultimate wee guy behaviour. The likes of Livingston take pelters for it as well and they became a bigger and more successful club than Ayr ever were within less than a decade of formation. I’m sure Livi wish they’d won the “more fans at big games” cup rather than actual trophies and top flight promotions, though.

Onto the game. Savoury for Thomas would be my only change. We’ll either win or lose 5-2.

Ayr fan also completely ignoring the train strikes that day to make sure the narrative of us being ‘tinpot’ is valid. Will inevitably lead to someone saying we’re spending fortunes to go bust within the decade 

Edited by qpfc

1 minute ago, qpfc said:

Ayr fan also completely ignoring the train strikes that day to make sure the narrative of us being ‘tinpot’ is discussed. Will inevitably lead to someone saying we’re spending fortunes to go bust within the decade 

We're spending fortunes and it'll end up in tears in a decade or so. Sack the board! Je suis Gretna...

9 hours ago, h_w7864 said:

Ferrie

Williamson

That certainly warmed the thread up😊 I'm not going either. I'm through to the semi-finals of Central Scotland Disco Dance competition and I'm not missing that.

It's interesting though that Coyle seems to have a reputation with fans from former clubs that he sticks to the same eleven yet he's been altering this team virtually every week. A good indicator to me that after a steady run and then a poor run and then a bit steady again he's convinced the mix isn't quite right. He dropped the two-up-front formation when results started going wrong and settled for someone running behind Murray, currently Jarrett who has scored two decent goals. So that looks okay. The consequence of that though is Murray doesn't have someone, like Williamson, to run off. At the risk of being a broken record, much of this change at the front is to bolster the midfield who in turn protect the defence. Clearly RB isn't sorted yet and the central defence are still not clicking. The return of Fox seemed straightforward when he first went sick...him in, Kilday on the bench and Fox & Eze solid as rock. Kilday's been consistently very good but another burst of frustration on Friday continues to show he's not as comfortable with Eze as he was with Fox. In the midfield, the switch of sides for McPake and Thomas seems to have worked well for the former but whilst Dom is still playing well he's not provided the same goal threat as he was on the left.

Summary of all this is, we're a third of the way into the season and still not fully settled in three parts of the back four, the front line and the wide midfielders. So I can't see him changing personnel much, maybe tinkering with formations. There's two cup ties coming up against L1 opposition. Might be better to wait until then for testing new ideas.

3 hours ago, placidcasual said:

They've a cheek moaning. They took about 20 to Ayr on a Saturday afternoon match when a win would have taken them top.

Your team has beaten us twice in fairly dramatic fashion so far this season, yet we've still managed to get under your skin because deep down you know there's considerably more chance of us achieving any real relevancy in Scottish football in your lifetime than Ayr ever will. 

I'd probably be ragin' as well, to be honest. Nae luck.

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Straight swap for Thomas and Savoury for me and that should be the extent of our changes. We’re not at a stage of the season where experimental lineups should even be considered yet, especially when your suggested changes are Murray and Robson. Two incredibly key players that are in that ‘undroppable’ bracket at this stage. We lose so much as a team when Murray isn’t on the pitch. Even if he isn’t playing well, his sheer presence and energy up top occupies defenders. Williamson is a similar mould to Murray but seems slightly more natural with his positioning and runs in the 18 yard box. Shocked he’s not getting played at all recently

We need to get as many points as we can going into the new year. Get into January, make a couple of smart additions and really push on for the playoffs. The league is so tight currently that a run of 3-4 wins on the bounce could fire you ahead at the top of the league. With cove, Inverness, Raith and Hamilton as our next 4 games, it’s a real opportunity to potentially pick up a lot of points and to do so, we must have our strongest players on the pitch 

Yeah I can see why you’d want the strongest lineup but with the fixtures in the league and Cups and the games Robson and Murray have played this season maybe they could be rested at Cove or the games against Montrose and Peterhead

17 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Not the time for tinkering; strongest line up possible for this match. My preference is starting with two up-front. And we win this 2-0.   

Agree. I think two up front works for us. Cove will score; we need to score too (two!).