Two games at the same stadium.

microdave

A few years ago, the spfl wanted to play both semi finals of the league cup at Hampden on the same day.

Now, Hamilton and Clyde will both play their Scottish cup ties at New Douglas Park on 26th November.

Have two games ever taken place like this before? Not counting pre season stuff.

2 minutes ago, microdave said:

A few years ago, the spfl wanted to play both semi finals of the league cup at Hampden on the same day.

Now, Hamilton and Clyde will both play their Scottish cup ties at New Douglas Park on 26th November.

Have two games ever taken place like this before? Not counting pre season stuff.

Were at least two examples of Clyde and Colts playing friendlies on the same day. Not sure about competitive games though 

47 minutes ago, microdave said:

Hampden during the Olympics hosted Honduras-Morocco (12noon) + Spain-Japan (2:45pm).

On occasion EOS, Fife and Lanarkshire cups were held on single venues as 2x SFs on Saturday and 3rd-4th + Final on Sunday.

There have also been a few at the Excelsior to accommodate Glasgow Uni and Celtic B e.g. 1:30pm & 4:30pm ko's.

Edited by HibeeJibee

In women's football it happens sometimes. Just today Boroughmuir Thistle played at Meadowbank Stadium at 1pm, followed by Hibs at 4pm. Semi finals of cup tournaments are regularly played back to back, last time that happened were last season's semi finals early May this year, both at Falkirk. I've been to both.

12 hours ago, microdave said:

Not as rare as I had thought.

Suspect it'll still be very rare within 'first class' competition and indeed outside of Hampden an example hasn't yet sprung to mind.

There were a few weeks between the wars when Hearts, Hibs and St Bernards all shared Tynecastle but somebody played Friday which was unusual then. There were also a few instances in WWI of clubs playing 2 games in 1 day but I think they were 1 H/1 A e.g. Saturday 15th April 1916... Celtic v Raith (3:15pm) + Motherwell v Celtic (6pm).

I remember going to two games in one day at New Tinto Park a few years back. I think one was a Benburb league match, and then Kirky Rob Roy (IIRC) were playing a cup game that had been postponed a few times. 2pm kick off then a 4.45 kick off. So the turnaround was pretty tight.

It was quite a good day. Two decent games of football for about a tenner or something.

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Not quite the same, but I watched 2 games at once. Standing at the back of the "Rangers" end when Airdrie played Queens Park and could see Strollers playing someone, maybe Dundee United, on Lesser Hampden.

If that had been me and both games were eight goal thrillers, I'd have missed all but two goals probably.

18 minutes ago, microdave said:

If that had been me and both games were eight goal thrillers, I'd have missed all but two goals probably.

It was a long time ago obviously when QP still opened that part of the ground.

We had a carry out with us, but the police in the main stand couldn't be bothered walking over to confiscate it. There was some waving of arms and shouting, then they just gave up.

I suspect with the number of 4g pitches it's more common, certainly outside the SPFL, than you might think. 

As mentioned above it happened at Meadowbank at the weekend and regularly happens at Petershill Park on a Sunday in the Women's game. 

Looking further back, there were some double headers in the early stages of the under 16 World Cup held in Scotland. Certainly at Hampden (I'm sute I saw Cuba v Ghana ahead of Scotland's first group match) and Fir Park. 

40 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I suspect with the number of 4g pitches it's more common, certainly outside the SPFL, than you might think. 

As mentioned above it happened at Meadowbank at the weekend and regularly happens at Petershill Park on a Sunday in the Women's game. 

Looking further back, there were some double headers in the early stages of the under 16 World Cup held in Scotland. Certainly at Hampden (I'm sute I saw Cuba v Ghana ahead of Scotland's first group match) and Fir Park. 

Certainly common in womens + youths (including 'finals days'/international qualifying groups/tournaments/etc.).

Still almost unknown within pyramid... indeed no previous examples spring-to-mind outside Airdrie.

Celtic were mentioned earlier as having played Home and Away matches on April 15th, 1916. However, Motherwell played twice at home in the Scottish League that day. The first game was a 3-0 defeat to Ayr United, which kicked off at 3.30pm, and then a 3-1 defeat to Celtic in the 6.30pm game. Crowds of 4,000 and 8,000 respectively attended these matches at Fir Park. Motherwell made three team changes for the Celtic game.

image.jpeg.8b02c14e8ea04a1089f8e78c41973efc.jpeg

Edited by free beer
Adding results

I have vague childhood memories of watching my uncle play in some sort of amateur Rugby final at Murrayfield a few hours before a Six Nations game. Obviously a different sport but I found it really weird in hindsight- imagine we had the Junior Cup final at Hampden then straight into a Nations League game?

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I have vague childhood memories of watching my uncle play in some sort of amateur Rugby final at Murrayfield a few hours before a Six Nations game. Obviously a different sport but I found it really weird in hindsight- imagine we had the Junior Cup final at Hampden then straight into a Nations League game?

The FA do this with their Vase and Trophy Finals and I think the FAI or GAA do this with U21 and Senior Finals in Dublin (although I'm not sure tbh)

It's still very odd.

1 minute ago, Ray Patterson said:

The FA do this with their Vase and Trophy Finals and I think the FAI or GAA do this with U21 and Senior Finals in Dublin (although I'm not sure tbh)

It's still very odd.

I can sort of see the logic in trying to build up a carnival atmosphere, I had f**k all idea what was going on though.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If you're opening it up to reserve/youth: then back-in-the-day, when nobody cared much for what state the pitch got into, it would not have been unheard of for such matches to happen before or after big games. It helped entertain the early arrivers among big crowds. For example the Final of the SFA National Youth Competition was held directly before Scotland v Brazil in 1966 and again before Scotland v Portugal in 1967.

As late as 1988 a charity game was played immediately before England v Scotland at Wembley in the Rous Cup... Rod Stewart was the guest non-professional for Kenny Dalglish's Tartan Army, who faced a Paul (Not So Ancient) Mariners side boasting Russ Abbott.

Parkhead hosted the 'Celtic Centenary Youth Cup Final' at 1:15pm on Saturday 7th August 1988 immediately before Celtic's centenary match v Cruzeiro at 3pm.

I think in the early 1990s the B&Q Schoolboys Cup final was always played immediately before a Premier Division match on the last day of the season.