Falkirk vs Dunfermline 5.11.22

Dunfermline certainly mastered the art of falling to the ground dramatically, squealing and wriggling so the referee stops play.

Cry more. Referee actually had a good game.

That’s the league won then before Christmas. Got to love it.

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Bold statement, a few injuries and you will struggle IMO

So frustrating. For all we pushed and probed, we never really worked their keeper. Could have played another 90 minutes and not scored. 

The Dunfermline style of play wasn't great to watch. Hoofball. And every time we went near their box, a sniper took out one of their players with a head shot. 

And the referee, Jesus wept. 3 or 4 handballs not given to us. Stopping play every time one of them fainted. But gave us nothing. 

We didn't deserve anything today. It was pisspoor. 

Referee having a good game is a poor shout.

I think iv seen one ref in this league have a good game, the standard is utterly dire and today was no different.

35 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Falkirk passed it about, with no real plan on how to actually score a goal.

You can slag off our style of play all you like, but we actually had a plan to try and score. 

Id bet every football team has a formation and form of play to try to score after all that is the point. 

TBF to the pars they came out the 2nd half and got bodies up to support Wighton but if the plan was for him to be unmarked at a corner, then your coaches are wasted at this level.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Referee having a good game is a poor shout.

I think iv seen one ref in this league have a good game, the standard is utterly dire and today was no different.

He was getting obsessed with where throw ins were taken from. Every time, sending a player two or three paces up the line. 

18 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Id bet every football team has a formation and form of play to try to score after all that is the point. 

TBF to the pars they came out the 2nd half and got bodies up to support Wighton but if the plan was for him to be unmarked at a corner, then your coaches are wasted at this level.

McPake said post match that they knew Falkirk use zonal marking at set pieces, so the coaches got the players to practice that routine this week. So it seems quite likely that was the plan. That’s the issue with zonal marking. Defensively, nobody is responsible for any player. I’m not a fan of zonal marking at all. 

Our game plan seemed to be to try and get set pieces/long throws. Until we were already 1 up, we created nothing in open play. So we must have seen something in our analysis of Falkirk to suggest we’d be able to score from a set piece.

55 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Sorry to dissapoint I'm not.But I do envy the support you both command,even in League 1.👏.

No, the person you were quoting is a Dunfermline fan… never mind, you’re probably a lost cause. 

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Did they forget to zonally defend right in front of their goal? Utter madness by McGlynn.

It was quite bizarre. They were zonal marking right on the 6 yard line. Everyone seemed to run towards the front post and Wighton had an unmarked diving header 4 yards out at the back post.

From memory, we had 4 players in the box, one of them not being picked up by one of the 8/9 Falkirk players in the box is mental/inexcusable. Regardless of whether it was a well worked routine or whatever, that’s horrendous defending. Think it was Donaldson that was responsible for back post - he was the nearest man anyway.

The defending for our goal was hilariously bad.

The referee made very few mistakes. I know it’s a sore one for the Falkirk fans to take seeing yet another League 1 title disappear before their eyes, but come on guys. Dramatisation or not, they were all fouls. I don’t know where the “3 or 4” handballs are coming from. Think one they are referring to was from Hamilton but that was ball to hand rather than him moving his arm to play. Correct call.

The seethe is beautiful. Almost as beautiful as that glorious McGlynnball of passing it around the back then eventually hoofing it.

Was talking about this with @Chicken Wing earlier about how this was the first Pars game for years either of us had been to without having any beers at all (7 years for me). A different experience although very enjoyable today! I was almost shaking with adrenaline after our goal. Genuinely felt slightly light headed (although that may also be because I hadn't had anything to eat sine 10.00).

Got fucked with the buses this morning, with loads of the services from Dundee down cancelled. Was stood like a tit at the bus station for over an hour. Thankfully the good sir Wing saved me and very generously drove up to pick me up. A very fine fellow and an excellent friend.

As for the game, we were really solid for the most part. We were too wasteful in possession first half, with too many aimless punts, but we contained Falkirk well and really restricted them, especially since much of their play was aimed towards getting Burrell on the ball. He looks like a really good player, but he was silenced today, especially when Benedictus absolutely smashed him with a delight of a shoulder charge and sent him flying.

Mehmet's sliced kick outs annoyed me, but he was great today. Very commanding in his area (came off his line to claim the ball a lot and good with rolling the ball out, plus he made an excellent save late on. He also slowed things down by taking a few seconds on the deck when needed).

Talking of which, we absolutely did that, especially second half, and it was absolutely effective. Our players took every opportunity to stay down, and it not only slowed things down and wasted time but it also visibly frustrated the Falkirk players and wound up their fans.

Second half saw us push forward more and try to be more of a threat, but I thought we too often broke play down with poor passing and crossing. However, the corner for the goal was a great ball in by Chalmers and an unmarked Wighton strode in at the back post to put the ball in through the keeper. Utter scenes. Fucking glorious.

From then Falkirk really dominated the ball, but Benedictus and Fisher were absolutely solid at the back, winning so much. Comrie and Edwards put in some great challenges too.

Actually thought Falkirk's numerous second half corners looked dangerous, but our defence was great and held firm. Our lads were snarling and snapping in to challenges and looked fucking pumped up, totally up for it and seemed to love winning so many balls, especially Benedictus, who was my man of the match. Guys were hurling themselves in front of the ball. Great to see. We also had guys on the post at every corner, which I always love to see. It really annoys me when we don't do it.

The tension with the series of corners near the end was mental, the anxiety unreal, but we held firm, with everyone doing their jobs, and really restricted Falkirk to very few chances. Todd had a chance to seal it, but the angle was a bit too tight I thought, with the resulting save actually launching another attack.

The relief and joy at full time was incredible. More scenes, and this is one erection that just won't quit!

The team coming over to the fans was great (there was one steward there who was thinking he was going to stop them!). Benedictus looked fucking pumped but Todd and Hamilton were absolutely bouncing. As Pars fans they know what this means. McPake and the staff came over too and there was much rejoicing. All that was missing was a wee Josh fist.

Where were the Falkirk who gave us a bit of a dicking first half at East End? Did they freeze in front of a big crowd or did we nullify them? Questions for them to answer. We however move 6 points clear at the top and 7 above Falkirk. 

Amusing to see the wee band of fans in the main stand near the away end offer out folk for a fight. When we scored we got the classic 'hold me back' stuff. Oddly none of them were waiting outside after the game. All funny stuff, and every fanbase has such daft wee laddies.

A good day.

Edited by DA Baracus

We went into the game 4 points ahead and have a side that grinds out results by keeping clean sheets.

Kind of makes sense that we had a game plan which involved being extremely solid, especially given that Falkirk find a way to concede in every game they play against anyone half-decent in this league.