Top of the Table Showdown - Ayr v Greenock Morton

16 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Well it is against my better judgement but looks like the ref got the spot kick claim 100% correct.

Your man pushes Baird over and dives over his outstretched leg.

It's amazing how all fans keep seeing what they hope for in these type of incidents.

It was never penalty. Thought so at the time. Didn't stop me screaming for it like a dafty mind you.

The Ghost of Barp might just be right regarding Dipo and Andy Murdoch, specially Dipo. He's been a bit off the boil recently. After his 3 against QP, he’s only got 1 from his last 4. But even a luke warm Dipo does a power of work, holds the ball up, brings others into play, defends well (not too well on Saturday, right enough) and has the odd assist. Still one of our most effective players.

An on the boil Dipo would probably put both his clear cut chances away on Saturday. Maybe he also needs to perfect his diving skills visa vie the penalty claim. Should watch MOTD on a Saturday night for some good tutorial material.

On 05/11/2022 at 23:28, AuAl said:

Aye McAllister looked very very out his depth today, and it's not the first time. He's not cut out for being a consistent starter at this level. He's no a shitebag that hides away anymore (like he was first time round before his loan out) but he's just looks lost and contributes very little imo.

He contributes to a tighter back four by defending the 18 yard box better than others.

We lost 6 goals in the three games before he was introduced, and only two since.  We now have a pragmatic back four, which allows us to retain our attacking options.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

What, tougher than the 3 you have lost...

The ICT game was a sickener to lose, League Cup type of performance where we had so many chances and never took 1.  Think we had 21 corners in the first half.  Dundee away was just a poor performance, although Dundee were ok, but not great. Raith, was a poor start, but got ourselves into a good position where we actually should have went on to win, but another sucker punch.  Agree with DAAS, the 2 Morton games and Cove at home has been the hardest we've been worked.

24 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

The ICT game was a sickener to lose, League Cup type of performance where we had so many chances and never took 1.  Think we had 21 corners in the first half.  Dundee away was just a poor performance, although Dundee were ok, but not great. Raith, was a poor start, but got ourselves into a good position where we actually should have went on to win, but another sucker punch.  Agree with DAAS, the 2 Morton games and Cove at home has been the hardest we've been worked.

All seems fair enough.

This Morton team most certainly leaves most teams in no doubt that they have been in a game.

The only time we haven't was against Partick which was so out of character. The reaction since though has been amazing.

We really need a bit more depth though as we are only a couple of injuries away from it falling down. Hopefully January brings a few.

On 05/11/2022 at 19:52, Lochwood said:

The poorest we have been for a while 4/5 players well off the pace, and passing was really poor. Stone wall penalty and a red card for Baird can’t believe the ref never gave it.

What I totally expected from Morton a pure battle, must have had about 20 corners I’m counting all the long throws ( every throw in over the half way line was like a corner which we defended very well)

Nearly stole it late on when Morton ran out of steam but draw was a fair result. Bullen must surely see that playing two wide men can’t go on Dempsey and Murdoch really need someone in there to help. Don’t know if we were in for Crawford but for me that would have made the team better balanced overall, going forward for me play one wide man and let them fight it out who plays in the other midfield in a three.

If that was the incident in the second half when Baird was chasing back, it wasn't a penalty - Baird got a touch on the ball to put it out.  Was right in front of me.  Scary moment but he managed to get the tackle in without fouling the Ayr player.

I was impressed with the pace at which Ayr counter-attack.  They are a decent team.  I'd love to have Andy Murdoch back at Cappielow.  As someone else said, put him and the big striker in our team and we'd be a decent bet for the title.

Edited by Alibi

10 minutes ago, Alibi said:

If that was the incident in the second half when Baird was chasing back, it wasn't a penalty - Baird got a touch on the ball to put it out.  Was right in front of me.  Scary moment but he managed to get the tackle in without fouling the Ayr player.

I was impressed with the pace at which Ayr counter-attack.  They are a decent team.  I'd love to have Andy Murdoch back at Cappielow.  As someone else said, put him and the big striker in our team and we'd be a decent bet for the title.

No, he will have meant the one in the first half that also wasn't a penalty.

I didn't think it was a penalty on the highlights. Didn't watch as far as the disallowed goal but I understand the player involved says it was a foul, so no real complaints left. Good job ref.

16 minutes ago, Iain said:

I didn't think it was a penalty on the highlights. Didn't watch as far as the disallowed goal but I understand the player involved says it was a foul, so no real complaints left. Good job ref.

The ref was pretty poor - I'm not suggesting any bias or anything like that, but he did seem to get a fairly large number of decisions wrong.  fortunately it didn't affect the result, which was probably fair.  Good day out, very nice lunch in an Italian restaurant at Wellington Square, easy to get parked, an old fashioned proper ground. Other than my daughter on her first ever visit to Somerset Park not being able to get a cup of tea from that wee tent masquerading as a catering outlet - and to be fair he gave her a free soft drink instead - it was a great day out.  I quite like Ayr as a town, apart from all the Tories of course.

To be fair to the catering guys I think that will only have been their second away crowd this season (Partick I think was the first) so will be getting used to doing both the home and away ends.  They do the food in the Hub before the game which is always top notch and have the new van at Somerset (get pizzas, burgers, different pies and burritos). In the 2-1 game at Morton, I got a capri sun and hot dog, the hot dog was one of they small ones you get in a can of 8 or something from a supermarket on a wee roll.  Handed over a fiver, only to be asked for another 1.50 :lol:

57 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

To be fair to the catering guys I think that will only have been their second away crowd this season (Partick I think was the first) so will be getting used to doing both the home and away ends.  They do the food in the Hub before the game which is always top notch and have the new van at Somerset (get pizzas, burgers, different pies and burritos). In the 2-1 game at Morton, I got a capri sun and hot dog, the hot dog was one of they small ones you get in a can of 8 or something from a supermarket on a wee roll.  Handed over a fiver, only to be asked for another 1.50 :lol:

Well the cauld pies were £3 and the reheated 3 inch pizzas were a fiver so no bragging rights on price vs value down your way either.

27 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Well the cauld pies were £3 and the reheated 3 inch pizzas were a fiver so no bragging rights on price vs value down your way either.

Did they not have the actual pizza ovens in their van?  They get made fresh in the hub before the match and I am sure they are fresh in the home end.  Sure it'll be something they will fix for the next game we have, well you would hope anyway.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

Did they not have the actual pizza ovens in their van?  They get made fresh in the hub before the match and I am sure they are fresh in the home end.  Sure it'll be something they will fix for the next game we have, well you would hope anyway.

Ha ha - van...

20221108_135403.thumb.jpg.5aeb3453838cf4caa49f85bbb9933e6c.jpg