Top of the Table Showdown - Ayr v Greenock Morton

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

2 dodgies reheating pizzas in a gazebo. 

They had about 5 pizzas left and nae pies before half time.

I had a pie before the game and he handed to to me from what looked like a fridge at the back of his tent. Absolute tinpot stuff.

It is now the coldest pie I've ever had, comfortably beating the previous winner from Montrose.

The catering guys are new this year, the food is much improved from previous years but definitely could be a bit more organised and quicker. 

As for the game, turgid stuff. I thought we might run away with it after the early goal but the same old problems of being overrun in the middle of the park led to some concerted pressure on us and eventually a good header from Quitongo. I think it was Musonda he got the better of, which was pretty surprising. Ton keeper looked entirely uncomfortable early doors but fair play for the save from the header, it was as good as you'll see at this level. We also had another brilliant chance when the ball dropped to Dipo but we somehow contrived to make a mess of it.

All in all, a fair result and we move on to next week. Hopefully Logan Chalmers is back as we really missed him today, delivery was not good enough from either flank. Final thought, Bangala must be an absolute diddy, guys played right back in the past and didn't even get on today after the McAllister injury 🤦‍♂️

Thought that was a good and interesting game.  Draw absolutely fair to me.  
The subs helped us, ours a seemed to lift us a bit and we looked likely to score.  Dunno if there's any scope to Mullin at right back again but I like the idea, especially if it means McCallister isn't playing.  

Aye that game really cemented for me that McAllister isn’t good enough consistently for this level. He’s had one or two good games this season but today he was hopeless. Rushes into challenges and high balls when he has no business to and leaves massive gaps behind him. Offers next to nothing going forward either.

I know that no one wants to see us playing 3 or 5 at the back but Mullin excelled at RWB when Livingston got promoted. Fair enough he maybe had a bit more pace back then but we are really lacking quality in the full back positions. I wouldn’t be against putting Frankie to RB and seeing what Ecrepont can do when given a proper chance.

I think come January we really need to look at sorting that out. I’m sure Grimshaw only signed a short term contract at Morton and he had a good game today at right back.

3 hours ago, Lochwood said:

The poorest we have been for a while 4/5 players well off the pace

I don't think we can play with McAllister and Musonda at full back. They offer nothing going forward and we lose our attacking fluency. I'd get Reading and Houston working in training on stopping crosses and get them back in the side 

Also thought JML was a big step down from Chambers.

Draw more or less a fair result although their keeper had more to do than Charlie. I'd like to see the Dipo/Baird incident again, but in real time it looked like a penalty and a red card.  Referee was shocking all round 

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Analytica said:

The way Ayr's highlights are filmed, I doubt that it'd be any clearer.  

I'll take your word for it though, my eyesight is pretty bad.  

Your player that got interviewed said it hit his arm so I was correct, only thing the ref got right today 

Aye McAllister looked very very out his depth today, and it's not the first time. He's not cut out for being a consistent starter at this level. He's no a shitebag that hides away anymore (like he was first time round before his loan out) but he's just looks lost and contributes very little imo.

11 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Aye McAllister looked very very out his depth today, and it's not the first time. He's not cut out for being a consistent starter at this level. He's no a shitebag that hides away anymore (like he was first time round before his loan out) but he's just looks lost and contributes very little imo.

We definitely need a new right back in January. Potentially a left back as well. 

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

We definitely need a new right back in January. Potentially a left back as well. 

Yeh I don't particularly rate any of our fullbacks defensively. Which sounds mad to say, considering we're doing quite well and are top of the league, but it's true. Not one of the fullbacks fills me with much confidence when we're on the back foot.

Agreed, one of the first things Bullen and co did was to give Houston a new contract, it was a bit of a shock at the time as he was poor last season as well. I think he's incredibly inconsistent and doesn't get forward enough. Reading is much better at going forward but he is prone to getting caught out with the ball, better player overall though. Ultimately i don't think either of them are good enough for top of the championship. 

I thought that apart from the first 15 and last 15 Morton largely controlled the midfield, but didn’t create a great deal and we probably edged it in terms of chances towards the end. At every single home game I get frustrated by our lack of control over games but ultimately we generally end up having the better chances and today we didn’t give up many at all so you can’t complain. 

We didn’t get JML on the ball nearly enough, when we actually did something generally happened. 

Quitongo has some leap on him, and Musonda struggled with him first half. 

As an aside, that “HIV Ha Ha” song needs to stop - as well as being generally embarrassing and dreadful chat, it is obviously completely homophobic. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As an aside, that “HIV Ha Ha” song needs to stop - as well as being generally embarrassing and dreadful chat, it is obviously completely homophobic. 

This. It's an absolute disgrace. Those wee p***ks sing it most weeks. Disgusting. 

Anytime the 'Ayr troop major' starts it seems to get quickly shut down now, the same has to happen with the HIV song.

14 hours ago, Shibuya said:

The catering guys are new this year, the food is much improved from previous years but definitely could be a bit more organised and quicker. 

Don't know what you had in the home end, but the catering at the away end could only be better than say, giving the fans a live cow and telling us to get on with it. The crisps were warmer than the pies.

As for the game - started badly but were the better side after the equaliser. The subs turned the game and Schwake had to make a great save. No idea how Ayr failed to score that other chance from two yards out.

Well it is against my better judgement but looks like the ref got the spot kick claim 100% correct.

Your man pushes Baird over and dives over his outstretched leg.

It's amazing how all fans keep seeing what they hope for in these type of incidents.