Top of the Table Showdown - Ayr v Greenock Morton

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

That is an impressive defensive record!

Baird was generally fine for us last season, but largely suffered from his frankly appalling performances the season before. At the same time though - the midfield in front of our defence didn’t exactly help. Baird is probably even worse than McGinty on the ball though.

If I look at the two squads I feel we have more quality, however Imrie seems to continually get players playing above themselves. I’m obviously looking at the Morton side and thinking the likes of Gillespie and Muirhead are terrible but they clearly aren’t under Imrie. You do wonder what he could do with a decent budget…

We can only really judge Gillespie on what he has done with us and he has been very good to be fair to him.  It happens with players where they are brutal for one club and good for another, just look at Baird and McGinty. Pars fans hated Ross Forbes and he was absolutely brilliant for us.

Muirhead was awful for us for 2 1/2 seasons and could have had no complaints if he was released but since Dougie has came in, he's clearly seen something there and we appear to have the player that he potentially was when he first broke through. 11 goals this calendar year in 34 appearances ( only started 20 games though)  so he's doing something right, long may it continue. He deserves a lot of credit as Morton fans, myself included, gave him stick and had completely written him off,  understandably IMO when he  scored  1 league goal in like 40 league appearances before Dougie came in.

I think our recent partnership deal with Dalrada has enhanced the budget. We added Crawford, Grimshaw and Ambrose following the announcement of their involvement and it sounds like we had money available to sign a couple of strikers( Dougie was quoted as saying he wanted to bring 2 in shortly before the transfer window closed) but we just couldn't get any over the line.  From the outside, the Dalrada partnership looks like a game changer for us. Heard a lot of good things about how they want to help the club on and off the pitch, future investment in Infrastructure and team etc. Should be interesting times ahead.

You certainly have a bigger squad, more depth than us etc, i think both teams starting 11s are fairly even.  We would prob only take 3/4 of your players for our starting 11 and you'd prob say the same about us.

Yeah, bar maybe the 2 full backs at Morton, I don't see anyone who I would take.  No forward or wingers displace Dipo/Young/Mullin/Chalmers.  If they had a proper defensive mid to play in a 3 with Murdoch and Dempsey, but Crawford isn't that player and I wouldn't swap Musonda or Kirk for Baird/Lithgow/Ambrose.

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think I could pick 3/4 players I’d want from the Morton team tbh. Grimshaw would be a better option at right back and it would be nice to have wee Rab back but that’s about it.

Picking only 1 of our back 5 when we have had 7 clean sheets in 13 games compared to your 3 is an odd for me but not surprised as both sets of fans will think theirs is better, understandably so given our positions. 

Would you not take Strapp? Been one of the best left backs in the division over the last few seasons.

I probably wouldn't take any of your last games back 5( don't know enough about kirk to judge)  but would absolutely take Murdoch, Akinyemi, Charmers and probably Mullin who appears to be doing much better than he did last season with Hamilton. Dempsey appears to be a decent player by all accounts but not seen enough of him to judge.( Couldn't drop Gillespie or Crawford anyway on current form)

Don't think individually most teams would be that interested outside of our full backs. Morton are an effective unit under Imrie but if you went back 5 games to when we were struggling I don't think you'd have anyone moaning that we had outstanding players that should be doing better. 

Does the railway end option for away fans still include that wee length round the corner in front of where the burger van used to be?  And is your west stand fit for humans with legs (unlike the stand at Cappielow)?

Picking only 1 of our back 5 when we have had 7 clean sheets in 13 games compared to your 3 is an odd for me but not surprised as both sets of fans will think theirs is better, understandably so given our positions. 
Would you not take Strapp? Been one of the best left backs in the division over the last few seasons.
I probably wouldn't take any of your last games back 5( don't know enough about kirk to judge)  but would absolutely take Murdoch, Akinyemi, Charmers and probably Mullin who appears to be doing much better than he did last season with Hamilton. Dempsey appears to be a decent player by all accounts but not seen enough of him to judge.( Couldn't drop Gillespie or Crawford anyway on current form)

There’s no doubt that as a collective unit, Morton have a very solid defence. And the fact that we have conceded so many goals is more down to us going rather baws out and playing a 4-2-4 recently which leads to plenty of chances at both ends.

There’s absolutely no way I’d swap Kirk and Musonda very any other centre backs in this league. McGinty has his flaws but I think he gets an exceptionally hard time from our fans.

32 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Don't think individually most teams would be that interested outside of our full backs. Morton are an effective unit under Imrie but if you went back 5 games to when we were struggling I don't think you'd have anyone moaning that we had outstanding players that should be doing better. 

This is accurate, though I'd have Schwake over Albinson and McAdams as well.

I also get that he isn't the type of player who immediately grabs the eye of opposition fans but I'm not swapping McGrattan for anyone with the way he's playing just now. The impact he's having is mostly through good positional sense, composure under pressure, and quick decision making rather than skinning defenders at will so it's only watching him every week and keeping an eye out for that which is giving an appreciation of how good he is, but this turnaround in form wouldn't have happened without him starting.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Does the railway end option for away fans still include that wee length round the corner in front of where the burger van used to be?  And is your west stand fit for humans with legs (unlike the stand at Cappielow)?

Yes it does include the wee bit round the corner. 

The seating is still kinda tight, not as tight as the seating at Cappielow though. It's not something that away fans mention much so I think its okayish.

3 hours ago, AuAl said:

Yes it does include the wee bit round the corner. 

The seating is still kinda tight, not as tight as the seating at Cappielow though. It's not something that away fans mention much so I think its okayish.

Cheers.  Will go for the Railway end as we always used to stand in that area round the corner.

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

Absolutely this. Sometimes it's the collective that makes a team, rather than individual ability. As an example,  Baird was okay at best with us, but in the system and with the players Morton have around him, he's much improved.

Talking about each squad and who wouldn't look out of place is an interesting one. I'd love to see the morton squad complimented by a couple of players like akinyemi and murdoch. An out and out goalscorer and a quality midfielder added to imries current squad would have a good chance of finishing in the playoffs at the very least.

Morton are 7/2 on Sat which is  massive for a top of the table clash, especially with the away team going into it with 4 wins out of 5 and 4 clean sheets on the bounce.

Hope the bookies have got this one way wrong.

24 minutes ago, madton said:

Morton are 7/2 on Sat which is  massive for a top of the table clash, especially with the away team going into it with 4 wins out of 5 and 4 clean sheets on the bounce.

Hope the bookies have got this one way wrong.

Our away form is average. We're 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. 8/18 points and we're away to the top team in the league at present. I don't think it's that wide. Ayr will be a solid if not overwhelming favourite.