Top of the Table Showdown - Ayr v Greenock Morton

I hope that Morton actually bring a good crowd here. There’s been absolutely zero presence in the away section this season unless it’s been out fans in the Railway End. No doubt Partick would’ve brought more if the game had been on a Saturday.

As for the game I can’t see Bullen changing much. This game will be a proper battle so I’d be keeping the defence quite conservative. Maybe keep McKenzie for Young as well. McKenzie came on against Partick and switched between playing as a striker and dropping back into midfield. Doing the same again could be needed here.

49 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Good to see some mutual respect in here. Will Morton bring their usual 100-150 supporters? 

Even during our darkest times I don't think we've ever taken as few as that to Ayr.  

Would imagine the trains being off would have some impact on the away attendance, but hopefully the momentum from the last few games starts to see an increase in the travelling support.

We are inevitably going to lose again at some point soon as lengthy unbeaten runs aren't going to happen in this league, and we haven't been behind at any point in the last five so seeing how we respond whenever that happens is going to be crucial, but with 12 scored and one conceded in the last five we've nothing to fear.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Would imagine the trains being off would have some impact on the away attendance, but hopefully the momentum from the last few games starts to see an increase in the travelling support.

We are inevitably going to lose again at some point soon as lengthy unbeaten runs aren't going to happen in this league, and we haven't been behind at any point in the last five so seeing how we respond whenever that happens is going to be crucial, but with 12 scored and one conceded in the last five we've nothing to fear.

These train strikes can f**k off, getting beyond a joke now. 

90% of them aren't even picketing on the strike days just treating it as a day off, seen today someone at the celtic game with an RMT union flag ffs...

Rant over lol (hope it doesn't affect travelling support size too much)

382 minutes since we last conceded a goal, absolutely nuts given the nature of this division. Defence deserve enormous credit for that. We all know Ayr fans don't rate Baird, but he has been absolutely solid for us all season and a key part of our recent success. Grimshaw has now found his form and is looking good and big Efe had the cigars out on Fri night . Schwake hasn't had too much to do in the last 4 games but anything he has had to do, he's done it well. Blues and Gillespie do a very good job of sitting in front of back 4 too.

Top scorers in league  v best defence in league. Should be an intriguing encounter.

Ayr seemed to have build a good squad with serious depth, something we are severely lacking. I wasn't impressed with Bullen last season but seems to be doing a right good job now, just like Dougie. Felt we deserved something out of the last game, poor finishing cost us whereas Ayr were clinical.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result to keep the unbeaten run going but a win would be fecking massive. 

Missing this but hopefully a good crowd make the trip down.

1-1. 

10 hours ago, madton said:

382 minutes since we last conceded a goal, absolutely nuts given the nature of this division. Defence deserve enormous credit for that. We all know Ayr fans don't rate Baird, but he has been absolutely solid for us all season and a key part of our recent success. Grimshaw has now found his form and is looking good and big Efe had the cigars out on Fri night . Schwake hasn't had too much to do in the last 4 games but anything he has had to do, he's done it well. Blues and Gillespie do a very good job of sitting in front of back 4 too.

Top scorers in league  v best defence in league. Should be an intriguing encounter.

Ayr seemed to have build a good squad with serious depth, something we are severely lacking. I wasn't impressed with Bullen last season but seems to be doing a right good job now, just like Dougie. Felt we deserved something out of the last game, poor finishing cost us whereas Ayr were clinical.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result to keep the unbeaten run going but a win would be fecking massive. 

Missing this but hopefully a good crowd make the trip down.

1-1. 

That is an impressive defensive record!

Baird was generally fine for us last season, but largely suffered from his frankly appalling performances the season before. At the same time though - the midfield in front of our defence didn’t exactly help. Baird is probably even worse than McGinty on the ball though.

If I look at the two squads I feel we have more quality, however Imrie seems to continually get players playing above themselves. I’m obviously looking at the Morton side and thinking the likes of Gillespie and Muirhead are terrible but they clearly aren’t under Imrie. You do wonder what he could do with a decent budget…

Going to travel up for this one.  We have been terrific recently and Ayr seem to have put together a decent team even though they have McGinty.  No idea how this one will turn out although in the first game our inability to take chances cost us.  I think with McGrattan in the team deservedly and Blues doing a sterling job pushing forward, we could well see goals coming from our midfield, and that's before allowing for Muirhead's improvement since moving into the middle.

I'm hoping our resurgence continues but even a point wouldn't be too bad a result.  Probably be a 0-0 snorefest now. 60 years of following the Ton ensures don't get carried away with any success.