Rangers* versus Aberdeen, Ibrox, 3pm Saturday 29th October

On 30/10/2022 at 20:35, Bogbrush1903 said:

Completely agree but you can see that many of our fans don't mind throwing up the white flag on our visits to Glasgow.

If you don't have the stomach for Glasgow then you ain't going to win much as has been shown by our pathetic trophy haul over the last 32 years.

But remember we won't be judged on what we do against two teams in our own league but against all the other shite blah blah blah.

Yesterday was an embarrassment

I never said I expect Aberdeen to beat the old scum on a regular basis, but surely they can win now and again and at least make them work for their wins. As I said, Steve Clarke did it on quite a regular basis, with a lot less of a budget than the city clubs. He never talked about these games being a “bonus”. Livingston seem to trouble them on tiny resources. 

52 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

I never said I expect Aberdeen to beat the old scum on a regular basis, but surely they can win now and again and at least make them work for their wins. As I said, Steve Clarke did it on quite a regular basis, with a lot less of a budget than the city clubs. He never talked about these games being a “bonus”. Livingston seem to trouble them on tiny resources. 

It can be done, and I'm not arguing it shouldn't be done. But Clarke's Killie weren't famously attacking and expansive. Indeed, that season they finished third, their matches in the Premiership produced only 81 goals. Aberdeen, who finished fourth, produced 101, Hibs in fifth produced 90, Hearts in sixth produced 92.

The only team to finish third scoring fewer goals in a 38 game season since 2013 is Jack Ross' Hibs side, and he had some fans on his back about being dull, but they also did well against the Old Firm. I think four draws that season?

I don't mean this as a criticism of Clarke's side. They were a good team and deserved their success. My point is that it's hard for a coach at Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen with the budgets they've got to openly set sides up to play that way regularly. Jack Ross got Hibs to third in the league and to two cup finals, but they binned him. Part of that was fans being unhappy at the style.

Killie fans were never going to be bothered by Clarke's side winning a lot of games in a low-scoring way, and neither are Livi's fans. I've seen Livi play plenty over the last few years, and they're very effective, but it would be hard for a Hearts coach to set us up like that every week. Neilson gets stick for being boring, and we're miles better to watch than Livi.

So, when your team is generally built around being solid, that gives you a more established gameplan to take into games with the Old Firm. And I don't think it's coincidence or surprising that Clarke's Killie and Martindale's Livi are two sides who trouble them a lot. Nor Ross' Hibs team, but he got sacked. Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen are generally changing their gameplan to play the Old Firm, and it shows.

But Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen coaches would find it hard to establish a side that plays regularly in the way you need to to do that.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Partially agree.

There’s also an element of Celtic & The Rangers never play weakened teams against Aberdeen. They regularly do against the likes of a Livi. 

It always makes me laugh when h**s accuse Aberdeen of raising their game against them.

The h**s do exactly the same. The difference in their attitude playing a Livingston compared to Aberdeen is night & day. 

I appreciate the points above, especially about teams that play within a more structured system coping better against better team, particularly ones with only a few threats. It's one of the reasons why Rangers are doing so poorly, as the Athletic article before our effectively covers. However Rangers only made three changes between the two games, so they didn't treated Aberdeen much differently 

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It can be done, and I'm not arguing it shouldn't be done. But Clarke's Killie weren't famously attacking and expansive. Indeed, that season they finished third, their matches in the Premiership produced only 81 goals. Aberdeen, who finished fourth, produced 101, Hibs in fifth produced 90, Hearts in sixth produced 92.

The only team to finish third scoring fewer goals in a 38 game season since 2013 is Jack Ross' Hibs side, and he had some fans on his back about being dull, but they also did well against the Old Firm. I think four draws that season?

I don't mean this as a criticism of Clarke's side. They were a good team and deserved their success. My point is that it's hard for a coach at Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen with the budgets they've got to openly set sides up to play that way regularly. Jack Ross got Hibs to third in the league and to two cup finals, but they binned him. Part of that was fans being unhappy at the style.

Killie fans were never going to be bothered by Clarke's side winning a lot of games in a low-scoring way, and neither are Livi's fans. I've seen Livi play plenty over the last few years, and they're very effective, but it would be hard for a Hearts coach to set us up like that every week. Neilson gets stick for being boring, and we're miles better to watch than Livi.

So, when your team is generally built around being solid, that gives you a more established gameplan to take into games with the Old Firm. And I don't think it's coincidence or surprising that Clarke's Killie and Martindale's Livi are two sides who trouble them a lot. Nor Ross' Hibs team, but he got sacked. Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen are generally changing their gameplan to play the Old Firm, and it shows.

But Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen coaches would find it hard to establish a side that plays regularly in the way you need to to do that.

Clarke didn’t set up the team to be negative and in my opinion we played some entertaining stuff during that period. Of course the wins made it easier to stomach. We were just solid.

5 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Partially agree.

There’s also an element of Celtic & The Rangers never play weakened teams against Aberdeen. They regularly do against the likes of a Livi. 

It always makes me laugh when h**s accuse Aberdeen of raising their game against them.

The h**s do exactly the same. The difference in their attitude playing a Livingston compared to Aberdeen is night & day. 

I think that too. I feel that both Celtic and Rangers do their damnedest to beat us and virtually always play their strongest possible sides against us. It doesn't fully explain our shocking record against these two, but partially it does.

On 30/10/2022 at 22:31, lubo_blaha said:

These groups all wearing the same colour (often black) is common, it reduces the chances of individuals being identified by the authorities. Having stood fairly near them at a few games home and away, they aren’t obviously aligned to any political outlook. Calling them fascist is quite a reach.

For what it’s worth, the atmosphere this season has been the best it’s been in my lifetime watching the Dons and this lot are largely to thank for it.

I'm not disagreeing that they've added to the atmosphere although I haven't particularly noticed that improvement myself from my Section Y position and, with regards away matches, I've only been to Stirling away. It did look like the atmosphere at both St Johnstone and Motherwell was decent though.

The bedsheet artwork was definitely raised from where they are standing last Saturday.

I don't think there was anything menacing about it but it was childish sentiments, childishly expressed and lacked any amusing content (like Peter Weir lays on more balls than Emmanuelle or the Agent McLeish one*) and, in my view, a bit embarrassing to be held up in our end as representation of our support.

It just gives that morons in the home end ammunition to claim the high ground over something that didn't really give anyone much pleasure.

I much preferred Andy Cameron being 'attacked' (well not really but funny all the same) by a pitch invader. I don't mind them taking the high ground for moments like that...😂

I suppose what I mean is, if your objective is to upset them then do it properly and put some effort and/or thought into it. 

*Or even the Spanish language your Ma's a Mattress although I was irritated by that because I'm standing directly behind the banner and caught on camera whilst the perpetrators all hid under the banner...🤨

Edited by Bogbrush1903

27 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm not disagreeing that they've added to the atmosphere although I haven't particularly noticed that improvement myself from my Section Y position and, with regards away matches, I've only been to Stirling away. It did look like the atmosphere at both St Johnstone and Motherwell was decent though.

The bedsheet artwork was definitely raised from where they are standing last Saturday.

I don't think there was anything menacing about it but it was childish sentiments, childishly expressed and lacked any amusing content (like Peter Weir lays on more balls than Emmanuelle or the Agent McLeish one*) and, in my view, a bit embarrassing to be held up in our end as representation of our support.

It just gives that morons in the home end ammunition to claim the high ground over something that didn't really give anyone much pleasure.

I much preferred Andy Cameron being 'attacked' (well not really but funny all the same) by a pitch invader. I don't mind them taking the high ground for moments like that...😂

I suppose what I mean is, if your objective is to upset them then do it properly and put some effort and/or thought into it. 

*Or even the Spanish language your Ma's a Mattress although I was irritated by that because I'm standing directly behind the banner and caught on camera whilst the perpetrators all hid under the banner...🤨

Andy Cameron said in an interview about thankful he was about his last minute decision not to wear his sheepskin jacket that day.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Craig Whyte had a dream was a far better banner than Saturdays.

I much preferred Andy Cameron being 'attacked' (well not really but funny all the same) by a pitch invader. I don't mind them taking the high ground for moments like that...[emoji23]
*Or even the Spanish language your Ma's a Mattress although I was irritated by that because I'm standing directly behind the banner and caught on camera whilst the perpetrators all hid under the banner...[emoji2955]

There have definitely been better banners at Ibrox than the one last weekend.

8f3485fcca962bb4070ea6524231ad38.jpg
1e9877d517f97db63a68c810274e0fd6.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Oh look, the mighty Saints have beaten The Rangers, but Dons fans think it’s virtually impossible with their much bigger budget. If they had any guts they’d be looking to beat this bang average team to second place. 

“Not trying hard enough”

”just need to want it more”

”guts”

Oh look, the mighty Saints have beaten The Rangers, but Dons fans think it’s virtually impossible with their much bigger budget. If they had any guts they’d be looking to beat this bang average team to second place. 

I’m sure that Kilmarnock being ten points and seven places below Aberdeen is also down to their gut levels.

2 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Ooft. Upset with the big team taking a doing.

3 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

I actually have quite a substantial gut and i think that we should win the league. You could be on to something. 

3 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

That's a no bad bait tbf.