Yo-yo teams

Nkomo-A-Gogo

I'm interested to know which team from the spfl have been the most relegated/promoted in the last 25 years.

My first instinct would be Partick, Livingston or Dunfermline. I'm not as familiar with the lower leagues.

Conversely which teams have had the least. Most of the teams in the Premier league have been up or down at some stage. Outside Celtic I'm thinking Motherwell are a team that hasn't been relegated in that time. 

Forgetting the top league I'm thinking Morton. Apart from a spell in league 1 they seem to me to be forever mid-table championship.

6 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Forgetting the top league I'm thinking Morton. Apart from a spell in league 1 they seem to me to be forever mid-table championship.

We used to hold the record for most promotions( and ultimately relegations) but you're right, in recent years, we have been a classic Scottish Championship team, having spent 15 of the last 16 years in the Championship.

Before that run, we had another 12 out of 13 seasons in the "Championship" from 88-00.

In my 30 years of supporting Morton, 22 have been in the second tier.

Edited by madton

6 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I'm interested to know which team from the spfl have been the most relegated/promoted in the last 25 years.

My first instinct would be Partick, Livingston or Dunfermline. I'm not as familiar with the lower leagues.

Conversely which teams have had the least. Most of the teams in the Premier league have been up or down at some stage. Outside Celtic I'm thinking Motherwell are a team that hasn't been relegated in that time. 

Back of the fag pack figures…

Cowdenbeath…5 promotions and 6 demotions (5/6).

Second place shared with Alloa (5/5) and Stranraer (4/6)

Fourth place is a mess…Arbroath (5/4), Brechin (4/5), Livi (6/3), Partick (5/4) and Stirling Albion (4/5).

Ninth place to Accies (4/4), Ayr (4/4), Pars (3/5), Queen’s Park (5/3).

46 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

No research. Its Dundee 

Thirteenth place to Dundee (4/3), East Fife (3/4), Forfar (3/4), Ross Co (5/2) and a special for Stenhousemuir with (3/4*) because their fourth demotion was suspended.

23 minutes ago, madton said:

We used to hold the record for most promotions( and ultimately relegations) but you're right, in recent years, we have been a classic Scottish Championship team, having spent 15 of the last 16 years in the Championship.

Before that run, we had another 12 out of 13 seasons in the "Championship" from 88-00.

In my 30 years of supporting Morton, 22 have been in the second tier.

Eighteenth spot to Airdrie United (3/3…but you can argue about adding the missing Airdrieonians promotion that never happened), Dumbarton (3/3), Morton (3/3) and Raith (3/3).

After that it gets annoying and makes my eyes cross…but special mention to Falkirk for one up, two up denied, two down and one down suspended.

• 2 weeks later...

Aberdeen have never been relegated from the top flight.

Obviously some very top sides never get relegated even if Aberdeen have sailed close to the wind a couple of times and lets not even go there on whether or not Rangers were actually "relegated".

Equally there are some sides who in SPFL terms at least have never been promoted (Elgin City and Annan Athletic to name but two).

The real talent is in managing to hardly ever get relegated or promoted in the middle two tiers. Morton have as noted above spent 15 of the last 16 years in Tier 2. Queen of the South, prior to this season, had spent 19 out of 20 seasons in Tier 2. In fact I started watching us in 1985. We were promoted in 85/86, relegated again in 88/89. Assuming you don't count reconstruction in the mid 90's as a "promotion" (we ultimately remained in Tier 3 and have never played in Tier 4), then the 32 seasons since have seen two promotions (2002 and 2013) and two relegations (2012 and 2022).

• 1 month later...

We were known as a yo-yo team in the 60s and probably merited the title in the 80s.

83 - down

84 - up

85 - down

87 - up

88 - down

Mid 85-86 we were looking very much like having back-to-back relegations. Allan McGraw turned that one around and got us safe and set for the following season's promotion. Sadly, he took us straight back down and then further down in 1993.

I think Thistle and Dunfermline are the only teams to be relegated to the third tier at least twice and promoted to the top tier at least twice in that timeframe, with Dunfermline only "achieving" their second relegation in 2022. Livi have been relegated twice from the second tier but one was a double demotion due to finances rather than on-field performance. Hamilton are on course to join this band in 2023.

The longest spell Thistle have had in any one division since 1992 is 7 years (2006-2013 in 2nd tier)

I'm not sure if a similar record exists for teams promoted from third tier to second tier and relegated to fourth tier multiple times (since it went to 4 tiers in the mid 90s). Stirling, Brechin, and Stranraer maybe?

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Further to this, surely the Pars must be the only team to have back-to-back promotions (1985/86 and 1986/87 from Division Two to the Premier Division) and back-to-back relegations (2011/12 and 2013/13 from the SPL to the Second Division, to thus be renamed League One)?

Thistle did this in 2000/01 and 2001/02 (back to back promotions from 3rd tier to 1st) and also 2003/04 and 2004/05 (back to back relegations from 1st to 3rd tier) with only one year of non promotion/relegation in between.

Edited by Fuctifano

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Thistle did this in 2000/01 and 2001/02 (back to back promotions from 3rd tier to 1st) and also 2003/04 and 2004/05 (back to back relegations from 1st to 3rd tier) with only one year of non promotion/relegation in between.

Of course! Always seen Partick as the west coast equivalent af the Pars in a way. Lambie and Leishman, potential for big crowds, etc. Both had great highs and rubbish lows. 

On 08/11/2022 at 09:54, Skyline Drifter said:

Obviously some very top sides never get relegated even if Aberdeen have sailed close to the wind a couple of times and lets not even go there on whether or not Rangers were actually "relegated".

Incase it gets mentioned that QoTS wanted to parachute Rangers into the championship?