Unpopular opinions

Pyramid Watcher

1 hour ago, onecowden said:

I don’t understand why so many clubs actually want to win a place in the SPFL. Once they actually win their place ( I do concede it would be good at the time) all they can conceivably win is diddy leagues against diddy teams. Then when they start losing more games than they win the crowds go down and they end up just the same “deadwood” as the club they replaced. 

I think many of them want to see how far they can go.  Cove and Edinburgh have managed to get beyond the starting point of the SPFL (well done).  I've said in the past I'd like EK to win promotion BUT have also said how much I hate the idea of playing 9 teams four times.  I'd agree that once you find your level then it could start to become stale although that said there are plenty of teams that have happily coped with that scenario for decades 😇.

2 hours ago, onecowden said:

I don’t understand why so many clubs actually want to win a place in the SPFL. Once they actually win their place ( I do concede it would be good at the time) all they can conceivably win is diddy leagues against diddy teams. Then when they start losing more games than they win the crowds go down and they end up just the same “deadwood” as the club they replaced. 

But this is just the same for every football league system everywhere. It could be said for any two tiers in Scottish football. Why would anyone want promotion from the WoSFL to the LL? You're just playing a bunch of diddy teams and eventually you'll hit your level. With the added kicker that the teams you're playing are even diddier than the teams you're used to playing.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

But this is just the same for every football league system everywhere. It could be said for any two tiers in Scottish football. Why would anyone want promotion from the WoSFL to the LL? You're just playing a bunch of diddy teams and eventually you'll hit your level. With the added kicker that the teams you're playing are even diddier than the teams you're used to playing.

Hitting your level? Not sure I get that either. When teams hit this so called level. Does that mean they can’t get relegated? Or indeed promoted. 

1 minute ago, onecowden said:

Hitting your level? Not sure I get that either. When teams hit this so called level. Does that mean they can’t get relegated? Or indeed promoted. 

Obviously not. But generally speaking, teams on the up can't keep going up forever. Eventually you'll hit a season where you struggle and lose more games than you win.

Everybody understands this. Don't be obtuse.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Obviously not. But generally speaking, teams on the up can't keep going up forever. Eventually you'll hit a season where you struggle and lose more games than you win.

Everybody understands this. Don't be obtuse.

Sorry. Not trying to be obtuse. 

Well it's just havers then.

Why does every single team in the SPFL strive to get into the Premiership? Barring two clubs/companies, nobody else is going to win it.

They all try and get as high as they can and win as many games as they can. To go beyond the tinpot local cups as ultimate success.

BSC Glasgow and the Lowland League was always just a backhanded plan into getting the OF Colts into the leagues from day 1.

You just need to look at where the money is coming from.

Lochburn was never up to licensing standard in the first place, the 'agreement to play there was dodgy from the start and any other club would've got told to bolt... 

Now they get shameless plugs from every ex-pro on the BBC mentioning them at every opportunity 

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

BSC Glasgow and the Lowland League was always just a backhanded plan into getting the OF Colts into the leagues from day 1.

You just need to look at where the money is coming from.

Lochburn was never up to licensing standard in the first place, the 'agreement to play there was dodgy from the start and any other club would've got told to bolt... 

Now they get shameless plugs from every ex-pro on the BBC mentioning them at every opportunity 

Thread is about opinions so fair enough to most of it if that's what you believe.

Lochburn was up to licensing standards of the time though. BSC became a fully licenced SFA member while playing out of Lochburn. Even played their first Scottish Cup game there in 2015-16 during their second season. 

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thread is about opinions so fair enough to most of it if that's what you believe.

Lochburn was up to licensing standards of the time though. BSC became a fully licenced SFA member while playing out of Lochburn. Even played their first Scottish Cup game there in 2015-16 during their second season. 

Not really tbh, just took the bait, and it was posted in this section of the forum.

Would Lochburn passed a licensing inspection now? Or was there a bit of leeway shown back then too 🙊

Edited by Spyro

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Not really tbh, just took the bait, and it was posted in this section of the forum.

Would Lochburn passed a licensing inspection now? Or was there a bit of leeway shown back then too 🙊

Go back to the days before licencing one of the things that was said ground wise was the need for floodlights, and covered seated stand. Roughly the standards that the Highland League tended to have.

The basis for licencing was first trialled with the Highland League. That's why it was two clubs from the Highland that entered the SFL Challenge Cup.

When looking at the rest of the non-league the SFA noticed how poor the standard was with historic members and had to start scaling back the requirements.

Excellent thread. Lots to discuss.  My latest unpopular opinion is how could Pollock get a licence with flats overlooking the pitch ? Was even a guy on his balcony watching the game on Monday.  

Before anyone asks, yes I know what I am on about.  

Then they get next Scottish tie on TV,  hm

B teams may just help the national team after all. Any decent young players with potential are going to play a few months in the LL and think f**k this I’m off to England or wherever. They get away from the bigots and get a far better development and in years to come Scotland national team benefits. 

8 minutes ago, big al said:

B teams may just help the national team after all. Any decent young players with potential are going to play a few months in the LL and think f**k this I’m off to England or wherever. They get away from the bigots and get a far better development and in years to come Scotland national team benefits. 

Ben Doak and Rory Wilson agree.

9 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

The town of Berwick-Upon-Tweed must commit to becoming part of Scotland again or their football team can GTF to the English leagues.

Not trying to stir up a bit of needle before tomorrow, not at all. 😉

The town of Cowdenbeath must  commit to entering the 21st Century before being allowed ....  (etc etc)

See ya tomorrow for a feast of silky football. 

11 hours ago, ekok said:

Excellent thread. Lots to discuss.  My latest unpopular opinion is how could Pollock get a licence with flats overlooking the pitch ? Was even a guy on his balcony watching the game on Monday.  

Before anyone asks, yes I know what I am on about.  

Then they get next Scottish tie on TV,  hm

Ainslie Park has flats over looking it, in England Orient ever have theM built at the sides.