HIbs vs St Mirren

I started the last game thread and the result favoured us, so why not do this one...

I could write about both teams but let's be honest there are only two relevant questions:

• Will Bryan and their (ethically tone-deaf) striker continue to dive despite VAR now being in place and capturing their cheating?
  • Will VAR be applied, as it should, to punish these players who have been caught cheating or will the referee bottle it?

Final score? 3-1 Saints.

Edited by Ric

9 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

“VAR will stop people getting away with diving and cheating” - Someone without a clue about how football and referees work.

1-0 Hibs

Boyle penalty won by a Porteous dive.

😎

Factor in a dive by Boyle in the build-up too and I think you're onto something.:P

No idea how this will go. Our away form hasn't exactly been scintillating.

We'll give you loads of the ball and try to hit you on the break.

Barring injuries I'd imagine we'll have virtually the same team as last week, with Big Dec and Tanser possibly replacing Gogic and Tait, if fit.

11 hours ago, Leith Green said:

U hIb5 ur bIG  cHEetUUrz aNd bAd Boyz

I'll keep this brief, don't want you to get all worked up, but surely the obvious solution to your players being caught cheating on VAR is for those players not to cheat. It's not like either of them have been under the radar in terms of "over emphasising contact".

46 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'll keep this brief, don't want you to get all worked up, but surely the obvious solution to your players being caught cheating on VAR is for those players not to cheat. It's not like either of them have been under the radar in terms of "over emphasising contact".

You do realise the 2 players “caught cheating on VAR” weren’t caught cheating on VAR, the referee caught them cheating, VAR didn’t change anything.

Just now, Les Cabbage said:

You do realise the 2 players “caught cheating on VAR” weren’t caught cheating on VAR, the referee caught them cheating, VAR didn’t change anything.

Please, stop this, they cheated, they were seen on VAR, they were caught cheating on VAR. I don't know why some Hibs fans feel the need to defend it, when it's plain for all to see.

If someone stole something from a shop, and the shop keeper catches them at the time, and later they reviewed their CCTV, were their actions not caught on film or does football not conform to the same lexicographical syntax as other topics?

Just for reference if a St Mirren player is booked for diving and it's shown on the VAR replays that they clearly dived, I'll call them out for it.

As for the game, care to mention who'll be your line up. Will JDH play, I like it when he plays, he's shit.

43 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

I had to put this one on ignore, his other favourite is about Boyle taking the Saudi cash. 

He needs professional help imo 😂

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

Please, stop this, they cheated, they were seen on VAR, they were caught cheating on VAR. I don't know why some Hibs fans feel the need to defend it, when it's plain for all to see.

If someone stole something from a shop, and the shop keeper catches them at the time, and later they reviewed their CCTV, were their actions not caught on film or does football not conform to the same lexicographical syntax as other topics?

Just for reference if a St Mirren player is booked for diving and it's shown on the VAR replays that they clearly dived, I'll call them out for it.

As for the game, care to mention who'll be your line up. Will JDH play, I like it when he plays, he's shit.

No one is saying they didn’t cheat, cheating is part of football and every club does it, including yours champ and it’s actually good fun. The Boyle/Morelos/Porteous/Jordan Jones/Lewis Ferguson/Scott Brown’s of the world are box office and make it more entertaining.

However, you’re talking pish, if a shop keeper catches someone shoplifting they don’t require CCTV, unless it goes to court at a later date of course, I don’t see a post match tribunal by the SFA for this as they were correctly called at the time and VAR was completely irrelevant.

If you seriously think Boyle/Porteous will never win us a dodgy penalty ever again due to VAR then you’re going to be massively disappointed.

As for Jake Doyle-Hayes, I think he’s injured but even if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be playing. He’s behind Josh Campbell, Kyle Magennis, Nohan Kenneh and Joe Newell in terms of the pecking order.

27 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

However, you’re talking pish, if a shop keeper catches someone shoplifting they don’t require CCTV, unless it goes to court at a later date of course.

You have taken that analogy and misunderstood it. If you are caught on camera, that simply means your actions were filmed, it doesn't specifically mean the actions you took were not recognised at the time. Court is irrelevant to this analogy, their actions were caught on film, and being caught in the act by the shop keeper doesn't change that fact. The definition is in the dictionary, this is not rocket science.

31 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

..cheating is part of football and every club does it, including yours champ and it’s actually good fun.

First bit right, second bit absolutely and completely wrong.

If you seriously think Boyle/Porteous will never win us a dodgy penalty ever again due to VAR then you’re going to be massively disappointed.

"They cheat and they'll continue cheating"

As for Jake Doyle-Hayes, I think he’s injured but even if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be playing. He’s behind Josh Campbell, Kyle Magennis, Nohan Kenneh and Joe Newell in terms of the pecking order.

It seems the number of ex-St MIrren players you can call on is diminishing over time, with McGinn now at Motherwell, Magennis suspended and JDH unlikely to make an appearance. Is the love affair over? :(

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You are over egging it a bit.

Over egging his triggering, when he posted the other day he reacted badly because he was triggered, or over egging the fact both players were recorded cheating, because they were.

You'll need to narrow it down a little.. ;)

Just now, Les Cabbage said:

How is that any different to being caught by Sportscene and the BBC cameras then?

None, so we agree on the use of the word "caught".

I think that's a step forward.. :)

43 minutes ago, Ric said:

You have taken that analogy and misunderstood it. If you are caught on camera, that simply means your actions were filmed, it doesn't specifically mean the actions you took were not recognised at the time. Court is irrelevant to this analogy, their actions were caught on film, and being caught in the act by the shop keeper doesn't change that fact. The definition is in the dictionary, this is not rocket science.

First bit right, second bit absolutely and completely wrong.

"They cheat and they'll continue cheating"

It seems the number of ex-St MIrren players you can call on is diminishing over time, with McGinn now at Motherwell, Magennis suspended and JDH unlikely to make an appearance. Is the love affair over? :(

How is that any different to being caught by Sportscene and the BBC cameras then?

The point you’re making is the match was recorded on video, it’s nothing to do with VAR.

Oh and if you’re so against cheating riddle me this.

Last day of the season, St Mirren need a point to secure European football, Hibernian lead 1-0 in the 89th minute. Ayunga takes a dive in the box, the referee (and VAR) is conned and gives a penalty, St Mirren score and go to European football.

I assume you’ll refuse to celebrate the goal and attend any of the European games as you don’t deserve your slot due to the cheating?

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

None, so we agree on the use of the word "caught".

I think that's a step forward.. :)

No one has ever suggested they weren’t caught, my point is that VAR changed absolutely nothing, cheating will continue and good, nothing more fun than watching an Old Firm/Hearts headsgone over a bad refereeing decision.

Case in point; Rangers’ meltdown after the 2-2 draw at Easter Road.

Delicious 😎

51 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Delicious 😎

Heh.. yeah, you've gone way off the point there.

My quote, "[will these players.. ]continue to dive despite VAR now being in place and capturing their cheating". It's a simple question.

Believe it or not, we are in agreement here. Nobody is saying that Boyle was punished because of VAR and we both agree that the offence happened, and that it was punished, and that it was replayed to verify that after the incident.

53 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Last day of the season, St Mirren need a point to secure European football, Hibernian lead 1-0 in the 89th minute. Ayunga takes a dive in the box, the referee (and VAR) is conned and gives a penalty, St Mirren score and go to European football.

I assume you’ll refuse to celebrate the goal and attend any of the European games as you don’t deserve your slot due to the cheating?

As for this, it's all a bit whataboutery isn't it? I'd understand it if I had once, ever, posted a comment that condoned one of our players cheating but I haven't. Trying to claim I'd celebrate it in some contrived hypothetical future seems just a bit of a reach.

I fully understand the love for pantomime villain football, especially when it's the OF because the fall out is always so.. "Delicious 😎" ..everyone loves a rammy, right? And you are also right that cheating will continue, that's a given - it's human nature after all - but to say VAR doesn't change anything isn't true. Take the Hearts penalty against Celtic, ignored/denied by Walsh at the time, reversed once the referee had reviewed the footage.