Wasps v Bully Wee

Just now, SLClyde said:

Fair play to anyone who can be positive after losing a 10th game in a row. 

There’s nothing to be ambitious about, even if we win a game we’re still miles behind and it’s not even November. 

The season is done as far as I’m concerned. 

Don't come back when we get back to winning ways then. 

6 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

Not rly irrelevent, you've not seen the game, just the scoreline. Had it finished 1-1 you'd be signing and dancing. Stop being so fucking negative and look at the positives or a change being a moody b*****d does no-one any favours

I wouldn’t. A draw isn’t much use atm.

I'm not prone to saying lower league football is shite, I actually love it. However, seems pretty clear that the standard has been dropping for a few seasons now. The Championship was getting steadily worse in our most recent three seasons there and would appear to be worse again now. The standard of this league is definitely lower than the last decade, even the sides at the top don't seem to be particularly impressive, so far at least. As such, "bang average" is more than good enough to win plenty of games and we are evidence of that. 

As an aside, I don't think we are anywhere near as good a team as we could be. The manager has assembled a fine squad but so many changes week to week and through games that to me it never really gets to settle. I didn't see today but why did Mclaren start (and presumably Taggart back to CB) when he had Howie and Graham available? Doesn't make sense. Wee bits of individual quality are winning us points but there is potentially a far better team there than we are seeing. 

But it's another welcome win and it's an awful lot better than last season. So bang average will do for now. 

Edited by Waspie

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

Won’t clear my diary anytime soon then, if only we got 3 points for competing well. 

Step in the right direction mate, you're missing my point. Players were up for it today. heads didn't drop after we conceded, we equalised and then pushed for a winner. Night and Day from the last 9 games under DL.

1 minute ago, TamClyde said:

Step in the right direction mate, you're missing my point. Players were up for it today. heads didn't drop after we conceded, we equalised and then pushed for a winner. Night and Day from the last 9 games under DL.

Fair enough if you think there’s something to be positive about. 

52 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Almost an horrific couple of points dropped but nice to steal it at the end and quietly up to 4th. 

Not a good performance at all and resulted to pumping long balls that were bread and butter for Grant and MacLean. 

LD looked pretty unplayable in that 1st half but fell out of it in the 2nd but great to see him pop up there at the end. We are definitely missing Scougall in that midfield though. 

For Clyde, Roberts took his goal really well and seemed to give them a bit of presence up top. Thought there was at least some fight about them but there’s a real absence of any quality in that side. Some pretty stupid bits of Ill discipline as well and thought Peter Grant was a little fortunate to only get a yellow in the opening minutes. 

On the referee, first time this season where we got pretty much every decision - can understand the Clyde supports’ frustrations with him because his performance was utterly appalling today. 

Think that's a bit OTT, mate.

20 minutes ago, Waspie said:

why did Mclaren start (and presumably Taggart back to CB) when he had Howie and Graham available? Doesn't make sense.

Was surprised at this as well, unfortunately McLaren had a pretty poor half and it wasn’t a surprise to see Howie replace him at halftime. Was a little surprised that the substitution also came with a change of shape though. I suppose one way to look at it is if you are going to introduce some of the youth you are likely to do it in this sort of game?

Been saying on the podcast last couple of weeks that I want to see Howie starting - can completely understand easing him back in over last 4 or 5 games but got to say he is looking very fit already - evidenced again today when he chased back at full pace and produced a cracking sliding challenge. 

1 minute ago, printer said:

Think that's a bit OTT, mate.

Maybe a little, and tbh it’s a bit par for the course each week at this level, but it was a particularly poor one today. And I say that with us getting almost every decision from him today!

There were at least a couple of hand balls that should have went against us, didn’t really see much in the challenge on Hogarth for the disallowed goal and didn’t think the second yellow was really merited (can’t think of the Clyde player having many previous fouls to look at it as an accumulation). 

Probably a little harsh with my words and highlights tonight might give me a different perspective, but would have hated to have been on the other side of a lot of the decisions today. 

Any Clyde fan moaning on here who didn't watch the game, f**k off your opinion is irrelevant. Best display in a long long time. Shouldn't have lost the game, we were better side for much of first half and nothing between the sides in the second. Officiating performance completely baffling and bizarre. Definetely should not be refereeing and running the line of the professional leagues in this country. 

Much better display and pleasing to see a bit of fight. 10 losses in a row yes, but if you lot watched the game you would be a bit more ambitious. 
I was there. We were shite. Not as shite as previous weeks but yet again still shite.
Unfortunately when you are this far adrift competing well isn't enough. You need to pick up points even if you have to be b*****ds to do it.
There are too many pea hearts in that team and we create some chances but we can't take them and you have to be clinical when scraping for points.

Unfortunately for you mate we are further apart from 8th than we were before today as they don't give out points for competing well....if they did a Danny Lennon side would win the champions league

Clyde definitely had the better of the first half and we were fortunate to go in level.

We did shade it in the 2nd 45 but it was fairly turgid stuff on offer. Pleasing to get the late winner mind you, and playing poorly yet winning will do for now.

58 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

Taking 3 points with the assistance of the 3 officials isn't much to shout about mate. Yous are pish and struggled to beat a depleted down-bet Clyde team. 

I said quiet and effective. Not loud and 10 consecutive defeats.

14 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Maybe a little, and tbh it’s a bit par for the course each week at this level, but it was a particularly poor one today. And I say that with us getting almost every decision from him today!

There were at least a couple of hand balls that should have went against us, didn’t really see much in the challenge on Hogarth for the disallowed goal and didn’t think the second yellow was really merited (can’t think of the Clyde player having many previous fouls to look at it as an accumulation). 

Probably a little harsh with my words and highlights tonight might give me a different perspective, but would have hated to have been on the other side of a lot of the decisions today. 

It's more than a little. "Utterly appalling" is way OTT. I thought he was fine.

46 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I'm not prone to saying lower league football is shite, I actually love it. However, seems pretty clear that the standard has been dropping for a few seasons now. The Championship was getting steadily worse in our most recent three seasons there and would appear to be worse again now. The standard of this league is definitely lower than the last decade, even the sides at the top don't seem to be particularly impressive, so far at least. As such, "bang average" is more than good enough to win plenty of games and we are evidence of that. 

As an aside, I don't think we are anywhere near as good a team as we could be. The manager has assembled a fine squad but so many changes week to week and through games that to me it never really gets to settle. I didn't see today but why did Mclaren start (and presumably Taggart back to CB) when he had Howie and Graham available? Doesn't make sense. Wee bits of individual quality are winning us points but there is potentially a far better team there than we are seeing. 

But it's another welcome win and it's an awful lot better than last season. So bang average will do for now. 

Yep Pretty much this, Was also puzzled as to why McLaren started when howie is clearly a better option  BR does not like to start our best team from the off so it seems , better from Cawley playing where he should be too , not a great display but never gave up , i will take bang average every week if we win , that said Clyde much better than the last game against us .

54 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Tend to agree with this. In Rice's favour we are picking up regular wins, scoring goals and are currently in a play off position, but several of our performances have been underwhelming.

We were poor for much of the ninety minutes today and Clyde will rightly feel aggrieved that they didn't leave with a point. Having got the early goal, we seemed to stop playing football and resorted to long balls as a default. 

McLaren starting seemed an odd call even before kick off. He struggled more as the first half went on and it was no surprise Howie coming on at half-time.