The Official ‘Hi-Risk Anus PM’ Clusterfuck Thread

Granny Danger

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

This is basically an attempt to stop anyone under the age of 60 and without an income of 30k + from voting. 

I wonder if this could be the subject of a legal challenge.  Whilst we do not have a written constitution I’d imagine any laws that have the effect of suppressing people’s ability to vote would be frowned on by the courts.

ETA the evidence of wide scale voter fraud in the U.K. is non-existent, in fact any case studies have shown it negligible.

Edited by Granny Danger

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wonder if this could be the subject of a legal challenge.  Whilst we do not have a written constitution I’d imagine any laws that have the effect of suppressing people’s ability to vote would be frowned on by the courts.

ETA the evidence of wide scale voter fraud in the U.K. is non-existent, in fact any case studies have shown it negligible.

You may find the tandem restrictions to judicial review come into play here.

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

This is basically an attempt to stop anyone under the age of 60 and without an income of 30k + from voting. 

It may be that the conditions are a bit strict but I see nothing wrong in ensuring that only those who are entitled to vote do in fact vote.

Seems absolutely correct.

13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It may be that the conditions are a bit strict but I see nothing wrong in ensuring that only those who are entitled to vote do in fact vote.

Until next week when the government u-turns and you'll say it was a step too far no doubt.

37 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I don't possess any of those documents. Why is the government trying to stop me from voting?

Does electoral fraud exist to the extent this sort of scheme is necessary? Six at the last election, out of several millions: Photo ID for voting: Matt Hancock admits only 6 voter fraud cases at last election as protests grow | The Independent

You can also have a cursory look at this link to see there were thirty one cases of electoral fraud from 2000 to 2014 in the USA: Voter identification laws in the United States - Wikipedia While there you could have a look at which kind of politician usually tries to introduce laws like this, and the sort of voter it usually impacts, and see if you can come to any conclusion.

4 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Story is wrong in that Student ID’s are widely NOT acceptable to vote in the U.S. This came about because the Rethuglicans wanted to reduce the power of students, who when voting at their school “home” often turned otherwise Red (Republican) seats Blue (Democrat). By not accepting the Student ID, since most students don’t get a drivers license for their school home address, they dispersed the student vote into dozens of other districts, reducing their sway. Yep, typical tactics.

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Does electoral fraud exist to the extent this sort of scheme is necessary? Six at the last election, out of several millions: Photo ID for voting: Matt Hancock admits only 6 voter fraud cases at last election as protests grow | The Independent

6 is one of those unusual numbers, where it is huge when it is the number of cases of electoral fraud in an election, but insignificant when it is the number of people to have held the office of Secretary of State for Education since said election.

24 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

how great is voter abuse in the UK that this is required and absolutely correct, in your view?

No idea but I do think there should be rules in place to ensure that only the entitled get the vote.

A bit like immigration where countries demand to see your passport. No passport, no docs, no entry. Long-standing rules which everyone knows about.

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

No idea but I do think there should be rules in place to ensure that only the entitled get the vote.

A bit like immigration where countries demand to see your passport. No passport, no docs, no entry. Long-standing rules which everyone knows about.

Hi. You seem to be ignoring posts on the issues and links provided to you. Example:

4 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Election officials say they have not had enough time to prepare and are worried that thousands will be turned away at the polling station – triggering potential ballot box conflicts and allegations of unfairness. 

So, not in any way "long-standing rules which everyone knows about" and also completely unrelated to the concept of international travel or borders between countries.

Also, I quoted you providing a link to the actual number of cases of electoral fraud at the last UK General Election. The answer was six.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Do you really think people would risk a criminal conviction to illegally add one vote to the balance of a constituency election? It's a transparent attempt to put off people who aren't elderly and likely Tory voters, utterly shameless.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you really think people would risk a criminal conviction to illegally add one vote to the balance of a constituency election? It's a transparent attempt to put off people who aren't elderly and likely Tory voters, utterly shameless.

Voting is a serious business and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

If someone can’t be bothered doing the administration, then they don’t deserve the vote.

It isn't you melt.

This is right out of the republican playbook and is about disenfranchising younger people and the less well off.