The Official ‘Hi-Risk Anus PM’ Clusterfuck Thread

Granny Danger

Nutella’s appointment might have been short term necessity/expediency for Wee Rishi but it’s going to bite him in the arse.  He’s handed a stick to the opposition, the media, his enemies in the Tory Party and a whole lot of disaffected others to beat him with.

After Truss’s u-turns I reckon he will be very reluctant to admit his mistake so ideally it will rumble on for a couple of months before either a) he’s forced to take action or b) he does nothing and it keeps being a festering sore.

To save you all clicking on Guido Fawkes, Sunaks office have breached GDPR and perhaps other laws surrounding medical record explicitly?

Ordinarily would have to eat massive humble pie and would be a serious threat to a premiership however I doubt he will go over it.

Screenshot_20221028-201438.jpg

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

To save you all clicking on Guido Fawkes, Sunaks office have breached GDPR and perhaps other laws surrounding medical record explicitly?

Ordinarily would have to eat massive humble pie and would be a serious threat to a premiership however I doubt he will go over it.

Screenshot_20221028-201438.jpg

We have to hope the patient in question hates the Tories and is pissed off that his pregnancy has been made public like this.

There’s a bit of speculation that we’re going to see a Cameron type austerity approach from Sunak.

There are ways for Labour to offer an alternative but I don’t think they have the gumption.  I’d really like to see the SNP picking up the baton on this.

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Christ, that and the four buts approach makes this look just like the Trump playbook. It’s disappointing that Sunak, as PM, can’t meet Trump, as President (unless some really weird s**t happens). If he did, the quotes from Trump after he had to meet Sunak would be pure gold, as racist and phobic as Donald is. He would say something so absolutely terrifying stupid and offensive that someone hearing it would be unable to contain themselves.

Fuxake, I know a week's a long time in politix but...

The latest Opinium poll for the Observer reveals that Sunak’s arrival in Downing Street has already helped repair the Conservatives’ reputation for financial management. While Labour still leads the Tories on most issues, 33% said they would prefer “a Conservative government led by Rishi Sunak” to manage the economy, with 29% choosing “a Labour government led by Keir Starmer”.

As their record for economic competence and political integrity does not bear close scrutiny the Tories are preparing to fight the next election on culture wars.  They will deflect relentlessly and throw red meat to their base on issues like immigration, climate activism, trans rights, the ghost of Corbyn and manufactured scare stories on inheritance tax and national security under Labour.  Oh, and how did I forget Sturgeon and the SNP ?

Starmer is such an uninspiring and uncharismatic leader who adheres to Marquis of Queensberry rules that unless Labour wisen up to this quickly and go fully toe to toe they will lose - yet again.

28 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As their record for economic competence and political integrity does not bear close scrutiny the Tories are preparing to fight the next election on culture wars.  They will deflect relentlessly and throw red meat to their base on issues like immigration, climate activism, trans rights, the ghost of Corbyn and manufactured scare stories on inheritance tax and national security under Labour.  Oh, and how did I forget Sturgeon and the SNP ?

Starmer is such an uninspiring and uncharismatic leader who adheres to Marquis of Queensberry rules that unless Labour wisen up to this quickly and go fully toe to toe they will lose - yet again.

A huge target for Labour should be tax evasion AND tax avoidance.  There would be overwhelming support for this from the electorate and there’s plenty of examples of horrendous evasion by big business that helps turn it from a theoretical matter to something people can relate to.

The Tories, and in particular Sunak, would find it very hard to defend against this.  However Starmer would shit himself at the thought of doing anything to upset the status quo.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s very selective quoting of the poll.  Labour still well ahead in voting intentions.

Yeah, but it's less than a week since young Rishi was installed to reboot the Back to Austerity franchise and he's already outpolling Labour on the issue, throw in the "buts" and a right wing MSM media and how long will Labour's lead last?

With Starmer matching every step to the right by the Tories since becoming leader the next GE will likely be decided by which one of these wooden politicians manages to convince Middle England he's a real boy?

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A huge target for Labour should be tax evasion AND tax avoidance.  There would be overwhelming support for this from the electorate and there’s plenty of examples of horrendous evasion by big business that helps turn it from a theoretical matter to something people can relate to.

The Tories, and in particular Sunak, would find it very hard to defend against this.  However Starmer would shit himself at the thought of doing anything to upset the status quo.

Well that's my point.  Starmer seems to think that simply not being the Tories should be enough to carry Labour home.  That might have worked back in the dog days of the Major government but the UK is a much more politically polarised and febrile place these days.

Labour voters should worry that there are few big beasts to put a rocket up Starmer's arse 

54 minutes ago, btb said:

Yeah, but it's less than a week since young Rishi was installed to reboot the Back to Austerity franchise and he's already outpolling Labour on the issue, throw in the "buts" and a right wing MSM media and how long will Labour's lead last?

With Starmer matching every step to the right by the Tories since becoming leader the next GE will likely be decided by which one of these wooden politicians manages to convince Middle England he's a real boy?

I’m not suggesting that it’s not a concern, but Hunt’s budget is yet to come and their will be more bad news than good in that.

I agree, of course, with the underlying point that both you and @O'Kelly Isley III are making regarding Starmer.  That’s why I raised the tax avoidance/evasion issue; something that the Tories cannot defend and something the public would support.

Easy to say but harder to implement.

Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is not.

I imagine you claimed tax relief on your pension contributions at the highest rate depending on your income.

Your SIPP, perfectly legal affords you tax advantages.

There are so many other things you can do if you are not under PAYE, as you must know, to mitigate your liabilities such as paying yourself dividends from your own company and avoiding N.I.

Unless you want to become a communist basket case such as Cuba, in a Western country there isn’t a lot you can do.

I can tell you from experience that HMRC spends a huge amount of resources on stopping tax evasion. Inevitably, some people will get away with it.

What rules, precisely do you want to change to bring about this big influx of money.

A lot of the problems come from trying to tax large, mainly US tech companies, who try to move their profits to the lowest taxed jurisdiction e.g Ireland, Luxembourg etc. To combat this sort of thing you need international agreements which isn’t easy.
What you are saying is total nonsense unless you can be specific.

I assume you'd be giving the tax back on any ISA or SIPP you've had?

There is too much conflation of the two in the media as if they are the same thing. One is illegal and one isn't.

Most folk if they're sensible would avoid tax and the government even encourages it.

Edit: Obviously egregious tax avoidance could be clamped down on. I'm not saying all tax avoidance should be legal. There are plenty instances where the laws should be changed.

Edited by Suspect Device

I think tax avoidance would be a terrible choice of battlefield. 

The Tories over the last 12 years have introduced some major rule changes and led international cooperation, mainly on multinational corporates but also on "self employed" employees. 

To my mind the problem with the tax system is within the legitimate rules. Gapital gains, dividend rates and national insurance as well as the size of VAT all combine to make work pay less than wealth.