Annan Athletic vs Dumbarton

What's the outcome?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This Saturday sees our first league visit to Galabank since that glorious day in May 2009 when we officially won the (then) 3rd division and were presented with the trophy after our 3-1 victory. Neither team on great form recently so hopefully it'll be the Sons getting back to form and not Annan putting us to the sword after our 4-0 win at the Rock in August.

Discuss...

As much as I was pleased with our cup win it did show up our weaknesses.Whenever we lost possession there seemed to be acres of space in midfield for players to run into.Just like at Stirling.I hope we learn our lesson because Annan will punish us if we are so slack again.

This really is a massive game..win this and some confidence may be restored but a defeat will see a lot more pressure on Farrell.

13 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

As much as I was pleased with our cup win it did show up our weaknesses.Whenever we lost possession there seemed to be acres of space in midfield for players to run into.Just like at Stirling.I hope we learn our lesson because Annan will punish us if we are so slack again.

This really is a massive game..win this and some confidence may be restored but a defeat will see a lot more pressure on Farrell.

Maybe it's just me, but the answer seems simple.  Don't play two men wide on the touchline as it leaves gaps in the middle area as you have identified.  I'm sure in the first half at Forthbank I saw a Stirling player drive a bus towards our goal.

If we play Orsi wide right then IMO we can't afford McLean or Garrity to be stuck on the other touchline.  Maybe we should consider a midfield of Orsi, McKee and Love with Gray directly in front, and behind the striker.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Maybe it's just me, but the answer seems simple.  Don't play two men wide on the touchline as it leaves gaps in the middle area as you have identified.  I'm sure in the first half at Forthbank I saw a Stirling player drive a bus towards our goal.

If we play Orsi wide right then IMO we can't afford McLean or Garrity to be stuck on the other touchline.  Maybe we should consider a midfield of Orsi, McKee and Love with Gray directly in front, and behind the striker.

That might work as Gray definitely needs to be in a more offensive position.Would you keep Mclean in midfield or try to fit Garrity in there somewhere?Provided of course we go with a lone striker.

40 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Did you see their game against Pollok last night? They're fucking shite.

3 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I didnt and you may well be right.But with Dumbarton we can never be Billy Big Baws.If we do we will get our arses handed on a plate.Shite or not.

I broadly agree, but we comfortably defeated a west of Scotland league side who sit above Pollok and Annan conceded four goals and were defeated. We also stuck four past them last time. And regardless of the fact that it was injuries that forced it, we're now back to using the team that had us clear at the top. I'm staying positive on this one.

39 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Did you see their game against Pollok last night? They're fucking shite.

I watched the Stranraer highlights at Fraserburgh and they were laughably shite too, but they still managed a win against us with 10 men. The cup games mean nothing and this will be a very difficult game. Wallace, Goss and Galloway all capable of taking advantage of any gaps in our defence, Goss especially will give Bucky and Carsy a tough time. That said, hopefully the Cumnock game puts a bit of confidence back in the team and we get back to winning ways in the league. If we concentrate on what we do well hopefully we get a result.

53 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I watched the Stranraer highlights at Fraserburgh and they were laughably shite too, but they still managed a win against us with 10 men. The cup games mean nothing and this will be a very difficult game. Wallace, Goss and Galloway all capable of taking advantage of any gaps in our defence, Goss especially will give Bucky and Carsy a tough time. That said, hopefully the Cumnock game puts a bit of confidence back in the team and we get back to winning ways in the league. If we concentrate on what we do well hopefully we get a result.

I don't buy that the cup games don't mean anything. You can only play the team in front of you and it all counts towards form. It's not like the players themselves are thinking 'oh it's not league 2, it's only the Scottish cup so let's have a night off'. 

Yes, this is a tight league, but Annan are 9th for a reason, we've already soundly beaten them and they were soundly beaten last night by a lesser team than us. Away win.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I don't buy that the cup games don't mean anything. You can only play the team in front of you and it all counts towards form. It's not like the players themselves are thinking 'oh it's not league 2, it's only the Scottish cup so let's have a night off'. 

Yes, this is a tight league, but Annan are 9th for a reason, we've already soundly beaten them and they were soundly beaten last night by a lesser team than us. Away win.

What you are saying is partially true for me. I feel like nothing can be totally omitted when looking at it and yes, on paper we should be slight favourites (even though our league form of late isn't very good) but at the end of the day... this is also Dumbarton. We don't do things in that way whatsoever. I hope you are correct, but I have my worries about this.

Annan will want to right the wrongs from last night and if we go into this in any way expecting an easy victory, then we are destined to have a journey back up the road with 0 points.

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

That might work as Gray definitely needs to be in a more offensive position.Would you keep Mclean in midfield or try to fit Garrity in there somewhere?Provided of course we go with a lone striker.

I don't consider McLean as a midfielder, but here's a suggestion.  We've played Blair behind the midfield and in front of the back four.  Let's reverse that by pushing Blair into a midfield four of Orsi, McKee, Blair and Love with Gray playing ahead of them and behind a front two pairing from Wallace/Byrne/McLean/Garrity.

It's called attacking the opposition as opposed to trying to shitfest results.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't consider McLean as a midfielder, but here's a suggestion.  We've played Blair behind the midfield and in front of the back four.  Let's reverse that by pushing Blair into a midfield four of Orsi, McKee, Blair and Love with Gray playing ahead of them and behind a front two pairing from Wallace/Byrne/McLean/Garrity.

It's called attacking the opposition as opposed to trying to shitfest results.

That would mean 3 at the back unless I'm misreading this, which is possible given I've barely slept.

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I thought Pollok looked a lot better than Cumnock. I don’t know how much you can read into them sitting below Cumnock in the league or Annan losing to them. We could just as easily win or lose this.

I watched both games and I thought Cumnock were miles better. I'm surprised by a lot of the waxing on tv last night and on social media today about Pollok. They hit a couple of worldies and a good free kick (which went straight through a wall that split) and spectacular goals have a way of making people ignore the rest of it but they barely strung three passes together all game in what appeared far better conditions than you and Cumnock played in.

Last night's game was brilliant entertainment but neither team were up to much.

That said, I watched Annan outplay Kelty Hearts for long periods at Galabank a month or so back and should have gotten penalties but for a late, late winner and Kelty are a better side than any of those sides. Anything could happen.

1 minute ago, cedrick1 said:

Team news a bit of a blow with Byrne now out. Makes Wallace red card even more stupid if that’s possible. Assume mclean up front 

Oaft, Byrne being out for two months is a massive blow. I didn't see that coming. It probably explains why his game-time has been so limited in recent weeks. It maybe wouldn't have been as bad if Love was fully-fit, because I'd like to see him playing through the middle. But with him out too, Wallace suspended and Gemmell out long-term we have a big issue up top tomorrow.

MacLean seems like the only option. Unless we punt Kalvin back up there like we did last season. But I think he's far, far more effective as a winger. And it would be a shame to disrupt things after he played so well last week.

Brett Long

Aron Lynas Gregor Buchanan Stuart Carswell Martin McNiff

Ryan Blair

Kalvin Orsi Joe McKee Finlay Gray Michael Garrity

Ross MacLean

Would be how I imagine we'd line up. Leaves us with a very sparse bench of Broun, McGeever, Div Wilson and Gregg Wylde. Why do we always seem to be running low on numbers?