The Ton v Inverness Caley Teuchters, 28-10-22

I watched the game on TV and it was clear earlier in the season and again last night that we can get away with one of Devine or Deas missing but we can't be without both.  Some of our midfield play was decent yet our defence was absolutely diabolical and as soon as we get into the final third we just crumble. 

It's funny but Dodds has been in the job about 18 months now and despite being near the top of the league and doing well in the play-offs last season, they jury is still very much out.  Given the low standard of this league, he can get carried by his players to some degree but it's clear sometimes that he hasn't realised that tactics have moved on from when he was a player.  A 4-4-2 with two wingers and a big man/wee man strike partnership?  It's not 1997 anymore.

Even before the season started we were at least two players short.  We still need a natural right back in the squad and we could do with another midfielder.  Aside from Daniel Mackay we haven't really used the loan market at all this season and we really really need more bodies in now.

Edited by Highland Capital

Aye, I'd be happy to look over it again but the only clear chance I can remember Inverness having was Ambrose's block. A lot of the other shots were from outside the box/bad angles that were never likely to trouble Schwake. Not convinced that you can produce a credible xG for Championship level games but I'd expect us to have had a comfortably higher score for that.

While clownshoe errors did lead to the goals scored there were many other times in the first half where we failed to execute the final ball in an equally promising opportunity. 

Edited by vikingTON

The Ambrose block on Mckay was probably our best chance. Boyd seemed to have a lot of half chances but either was wild in his execution or took the wrong decision. In the second half last night he had a clear shot at goal with his left foot but cut back onto his right and lost the ball.

You can't win games on half chances. Morton were comfortable defending our limited attacks and created a decent number of chances which they clinically executed when presented with the opportunity. 

Let's be honest, 4 - 0 probably flattered us. It could have been much worse. 

As good as we’re playing I always have a fear that performances can drop very quickly and your right back down the table it’s hard for any team in this league to keep consistent but fingers crossed we keep this good run going for Aslong as possible 

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

As good as we’re playing I always have a fear that performances can drop very quickly and your right back down the table it’s hard for any team in this league to keep consistent but fingers crossed we keep this good run going for Aslong as possible 

I'm not concerned about the consistency of performance, as we're probably the best drilled starting eleven in the division right now (not a high bar) and Imrie isn't one to let them rest on their laurels. He's still clearly furious about the Partick shoeing and will hopefully channel all that rage into delivering a counter-shoeing of them in a fortnight's time.

The main limitation we have is squad depth. Any absence in our forward line risks unbalancing the team again and we didn't even have a sub goalkeeper on the bench again last night. I can see us having a few Andre Boe style weeks during the season when we've got absences in key positions and just have to take a few defeats or try and shitfest a draw. 

On the plus side, McGrattan's rise is like adding a new player and King is also ready for another opportunity to impress. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

I'm not concerned about the consistency of performance, as we're probably the best drilled starting eleven in the division right now (not a high bar) and Imrie isn't one to let them rest on their laurels. He's still clearly furious about the Partick shoeing and will hopefully channel all that rage into delivering a counter-shoeing of them in a fortnight's time.

The main limitation we have is squad depth. Any absence in our forward line risks unbalancing the team again and we didn't even have a sub goalkeeper on the bench again last night. I can see us having a few Andre Boe style weeks during the season when we've got absences in key positions and just have to take a few defeats or try and shitfest a draw. 

On the plus side, McGrattan's rise is like adding a new player and King is also ready for another opportunity to impress. 

That’s it most teams are a few injuries away from collapsing for a few weeks, stay near the top Untill January and see what dougie can do in the transfer window if we’re near the top hopefully we’ll be attracting a few decent players giving us better squad depth, and on McGrattan he looked very good last night

Edited by Cowshed

On 28/10/2022 at 19:57, Cptn Hooch said:

Tuned in to see how young Brian Schwake and Jaze Kabia are getting on. How have they been doing Morton fans?

@Cptn Hooch

Schwake looks like an above average Championship goalkeeper at the moment, and so has been perfectly fine for us. The occasional dodgy moment but Jack Hamilton was excellent for us last season despite being Jack Hamilton in the comedy error stakes. 

Kabia did not start promisingly and so lost his place in the starting eleven. He has looked more interested in the past five games, but it has to be a choice between him and Quitongo to start in the line-up and he hasn't made his case to start yet. 

[mention=61257]Cptn Hooch[/mention]
Schwake looks like an above average Championship goalkeeper at the moment, and so has been perfectly fine for us. The occasional dodgy moment but Jack Hamilton was excellent for us last season despite being Jack Hamilton in the comedy error stakes. 
Kabia did not start promisingly and so lost his place in the starting eleven. He has looked more interested in the past five games, but it has to be a choice between him and Quitongo to start in the line-up and he hasn't made his case to start yet. 
Cheers, Martindale has said he wants Schwake to have 80-100 games under his belt before he's in contention for the Livi team so hopefully he keeps on his upwards trajectory. Kabia is a strange one...has so much ability but the story is he and Martindale had a falling out due to his attitude.