The Ton v Inverness Caley Teuchters, 28-10-22

Partick/Ayr on Tuesday and QP/Dundee at the same time on Friday night will probably get in the way, but even the possibility that a win here could take us top shows two things: 1. the league is genuinely insane... lacking in quality, but (and maybe therefore) brutally competitive; 2. Sir Douglas Imrie is a bit of a prodigy: squad is wafer thin, no real attacking threat... but 10 points from the last 4 and here we are.

There's also the incentive of giving the greetin-faced wee cretin in the away dug-out something to greet about; every bit as salty as the 3 points.

Morton have a long-standing habit of disappointing just at the point where there's something to be encouraged about, but we're about to find out if that, like so many other things, is about to change under this manager.

A draw would be the bet - as with 75% of all games in this league - but I'll wait and see what kind of team ICT are able to put out before predicting.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

I honestly don't know exactly who is all injured for us at the moment.  Deas broke his leg on Saturday, which is a hammer blow to us - he really is our best defender and the lynchpin at the back.  I'm not sure the current status of Duffy and Devine but they would be the most likely centre back pairing.  If they aren't fit then it's Max Ram plus one.

In the middle, Allardice and MacGregor are both injured, Harper and Hyde are maybe a bit raw to be a midfield duo in the Championship.  Daniel Mckay is also hugely important to us and is out.

I would be pretty surprised if we won this to be honest.

Without assuming anyone else is back from injury this is what we're left with

Ridgers

Carson  Ram Delaney Harper

Boyd Hyde Welsh Doran

McKay Oakley

With just Shaw and the u18s on the bench. And am also not too sure everyone in that starting line up is at 100%.

18 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Without assuming anyone else is back from injury this is what we're left with

Ridgers

Carson  Ram Delaney Harper

Boyd Hyde Welsh Doran

McKay Oakley

With just Shaw and the u18s on the bench. And am also not too sure everyone in that starting line up is at 100%.

That looks about right based on what we have available. Assuming no-one else returns, the one possible difference in starting XI I can foresee is Harper staying the middle alongside Hyde and Matthew Strachan starting at LB - he did well when he came on on Saturday. It depends on whether Dodds thinks it's a bigger gamble to start a boy with almost no first-team experience or to start Welsh when he still might not be ready to play 90 and risk him getting injured again. Thought Welsh, understandably, looked a bit tentative on Saturday.

We've had quite a few issues with injuries over the last couple of seasons but I don't remember it ever being as bad as this. Are we training in the car park or something?

No matter the scoreline, I look forward to yet another manager sending his team out to clog us off the park then complaining about how difficult it is to play against our big physical team with an average height of about 5'8.

Edited by Dunning1874

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

No matter the scoreline, I look forward to yet another manager sending his team out to clog us off the park then complaining about how difficult is to play against our big physical team with an average height of about 5'8.

Considering half the team we're likely to put out are so young that their bones haven't fully formed, your team of waifs might be safe this week. 

1 hour ago, alsy said:

We've had quite a few issues with injuries over the last couple of seasons but I don't remember it ever being as bad as this. Are we training in the car park or something?

Saw Doran in the paper the other week saying that these new GPS trackers are showing that they're running much more in training/games than they were in the past couple of seasons which has been a conscious aim of the coaching and fitness staff.

That, combined with having an inexperienced head of the medical dept, is contributing to the situation we are now in imo. An experienced doctor would've got Deas off on a stretcher rather than letting him walk off the pitch on Saturday and would be pushing back against the fitness coaches running the players into the ground.

6 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Saw Doran in the paper the other week saying that these new GPS trackers are showing that they're running much more in training/games than they were in the past couple of seasons which has been a conscious aim of the coaching and fitness staff.

That, combined with having an inexperienced head of the medical dept, is contributing to the situation we are now in imo. An experienced doctor would've got Deas off on a stretcher rather than letting him walk off the pitch on Saturday and would be pushing back against the fitness coaches running the players into the ground.

I did notice we have a lot more injures since we got that fitness coach in.  Start of last season was it?  Our injuries were bad then, they're fucking mental now.

3 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

The mate I was at the game with on Saturday said that exactly the same thing happened when Dan Mackay was injured against Hamilton on Tuesday; he was supported off rather than a stretcher being called for. Can't understand why they'd risk anything that could end up exacerbating an injury, especially something as basic as getting a fucking stretcher onto the park.  

28 minutes ago, alsy said:

The mate I was at the game with on Saturday said that exactly the same thing happened when Dan Mackay was injured against Hamilton on Tuesday; he was supported off rather than a stretcher being called for. Can't understand why they'd risk anything that could end up exacerbating an injury, especially something as basic as getting a fucking stretcher onto the park.  

I looked for the volunteer St Andrews (or other group) stretcher bearers last Tuesday and again on Saturday.

I saw* no sign of them.

I'm not convinced that post lockdown that this is a thing anymore.

As for Saturday, Deas tried to walk off and it was only after a few strides that he knew he couldn't continue. Looking on the bright side, I hope this points to a fracture of a more minor nature that might be set for swift healing.

For fitness, I recall a spate of injuries at Liverpool** when Klopp applied a step change to levels.

I'm not sure if one root cause can be attributed to all of the injuries. Sutherland at Arbroath and poor Deas at the weekend could be regarded as luck of the worst kind.

* My eyes aren't what they were so I might be wrong (as unlikely as that generally is)

** I'm in no way comparing ICT to Liverpool but Dodds is certainly doing much better than Klopp these days.

17 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Is there a club doctor these days?  I had a look on the staff list on the website yesterday and didn't see one.  I remember we had one before who was also a doctor for the British Olympic team but he's no longer listed.

Dr Derick Macleod was the club doctor for many years and then he moved upwards to the likes of the Summer and Winter Olympic medical team and I believe he is/was also team Doctor to the SFA for the Scottish youth teams or such like, there has been a broader involvement in sport at all levels including the team Doctor to SKY's cycling team and working with Scotlands Institute of Sport.

AS far as I know a Dr McMullan is the present incumbent.

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Can't wait to hear wee Billy greetin after the game especially after big bad morton dont roll out the red carpet again.

Oh aye. 3-0 morton. Efe Ambrose hat trick

You're going to knead to dough better than that