Raith v Partick

Superb stuff today. Yes, Thistle were poor but the first half performance was very good and second half we controlled the situation comfortably. Delighted to see Lewis back on the pitch. Starting to think we might be able to challenge for a play off spot after all. Still a long way to go though. 

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

He’ll not be leaving them for a bigger club.

When their bottle eventually crashes and they end up back where they belong in the seaside leagues, he’ll be long gone at someone like Cowdenbeath.

I think he has done a very good job there bud tbh with little money to spend and wishful thinking they will implode this season I think

9 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Superb stuff today. Yes, Thistle were poor but the first half performance was very good and second half we controlled the situation comfortably. Delighted to see Lewis back on the pitch. Starting to think we might be able to challenge for a play off spot after all. Still a long way to go though. 

Definitely seem to have turned a corner at the moment, long may it continue and I got something in my eye when the wee man came on 🥲

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Would be getting the contact out for Liam Dick after his recent performances at centre half. Hardly put a foot wrong for weeks, if not months. Him and O’Riordan are steady as it comes. In the last 5 games we’ve conceded a last minute penalty from a dive and a brilliant header v Inverness. 

O bless a last minute penalty from a dive.. I you took it all well in the Cappielow main stand that Day did the Lang Toons Finest... 

2 hours ago, BdenJag said:

An absolute disgrace from start to finish. 

I know this is probably scant consolation but you were the better team up until we scored (first 10 or so mins) we could barely string a pass or get out of our own half.

The first half was as good a performance as I’ve seen in many a year from us. Second half was all about game management and not picking up any injuries etc.

Liam Dick looks a completely different player this season. Even Ross Millen has turned a corner in the last few games. Although he’s not the marauding wing back Tumilty was, I think his crossing is excellent. 

That was a tremendous performance. Every single player was putting in an above average performance to some degree. 

At the back, O'Riordan plays like a 29 year rather than a 19 year old. As touched on,  Dick and Millen have improved dramatically. Ngwenya caused no end of problems in the space left by McMillan.

Our midfield trio of Spencer, Brown and Stanton has a good balance about it. One point my mate and I enjoyed was when he and Bannigan went in for a 50/50. The play gets stopped and Bannigan picked up a booking,  but both players went in with sheer determination. Brown got up, and the first thing he does us go over and they're both saying fair play.

Connolly understandly got MOTM given the first goal. He's absolutely flourishing this season. Overall you can't find a fault in any performances - even Easton lost the ball but he's one of the best players for successful dribbles in the league so he's going to have days where it's more noticeable. 

Only my 2nd game of the season, thought we were very impressive and miles better than we were at any point last season.

Thought Connell up front was superb.  Connoly and Stanton were a constant threat and Spencer and Brown looked solid at the base of midfield.

The back 4 never put a foot wrong and Liam Dick was immense.

Also had a wee lump in my throat when Vaughan came on, think I would've bubbled like a Bairn if he'd scored.

3 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

I've no idea how close he was to that late cross, but if he'd put it in the net the roof might've come off. 

Pretty close, and yep.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Would be getting the contact out for Liam Dick after his recent performances at centre half. Hardly put a foot wrong for weeks, if not months. Him and O’Riordan are steady as it comes. In the last 5 games we’ve conceded a last minute penalty from a dive and a brilliant header v Inverness. 

Honestly, with Lang and Dick to play CB, with Nolan as cover, as long as Lang can get back to how he was, we’d be nicely set at CB for a few years. Dick could cover LB as needed, and hopefully Young can be starting next year…Brown is cover for a vastly improved Millen at RB. With all that, and Masson to develop, we’d be as solid as ever at back.

3 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

O’Riordan is Rolls Royce at this level and only just 19 - he could progress to a very nice level in the game. 

That’s exactly it, there is no way that I can see Crewe letting go of O’Riordan. If they get him back for the second half in English League Two and he starts there and continues to stroll, they’ll get a very nice offer for the lad.

One of the most complete performances I've seen from us for a long time. First half was absolutely fantastic with great intensity. Second half was exactly what we needed to do and very professional.

Liam Dick was excellent. Probably his best performance in a Rovers shirt. Also noticed him constantly taking to the other 3. He's really stepped up this season and I have to hold my hand up and say I never saw it coming. Millen as well had his best game. He's starting to do the basics really well and looking more confident. Having a settled and balanced back 4 is so important and it looks like we might have come across one. Again another one who I hope will prove me wrong for the rest of the season.

We take to take the positives when they come and enjoy tonight. We'll lose again but no doubt we'll come back on moaning about Millen, Dick, Connell but we are a team in development and I'm liking the signs. I think with our squad fit we have the best midfield in the league and if we have a fit Vaughan probably the best striker. I had faith in Murray and really glad to see things might be starting to come together now as he puts his mark on the club.

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

The first half was as good a performance as I’ve seen in many a year from us. Second half was all about game management and not picking up any injuries etc.

Liam Dick looks a completely different player this season. Even Ross Millen has turned a corner in the last few games. Although he’s not the marauding wing back Tumilty was, I think his crossing is excellent. 

Aye, the second half was one for the connoisseur of game management. John McGlynn would have drawn that today. Ian Murray made it so that f**k all happened the entire half and it was fantastic.

6 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Liam Dick was excellent. Probably his best performance in a Rovers shirt. Also noticed him constantly taking to the other 3. He's really stepped up this season and I have to hold my hand up and say I never saw it coming. Millen as well had his best game. He's starting to do the basics really well and looking more confident. Having a settled and balanced back 4 is so important and it looks like we might have come across one. Again another one who I hope will prove me wrong for the rest of the season.

To think when Berra left we had next to no defence. Now along with Morton we've conceded two less goals than the next team. We had a piss poor League Cup and lost our first two league games, then O'Riordan and Nolan came in and we won our next two; now things are getting better and better.

11 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, the second half was one for the connoisseur of game management. John McGlynn would have drawn that today. Ian Murray made it so that f**k all happened the entire half and it was fantastic.

I think Murray is a very different animal to McGlynn in that he doesn't need to make the same mistakes again and again, he takes the lesson and moves on.

I still maintain this will be a frustrating season but it's been a good 10 days or so and we are just a fit Tom Lang away from a full strength squad.