Livingston v Celtic

Hopefully Celtic players will be run ragged against Shakhtar and feeling the effects against us in the 2nd half on Sunday.

We really do relish these games, our players will be well drilled as usual and barring an early goal for Celtic spoiling our game plan we'll have a decent chance getting something here. Hopefully big Nouble gets another early goal giving us something to hold onto, and we can nick a 2nd to really give us a chance of taking all 3 pts.

In the 01/02 season there was a draw at Ibrox then at Almondvale with Celtic a fortnight later. That was a Livi side with a former Real Madrid player (Rubio). We could match those results again now but instead with a former Broxburn Athletic player (Pittman). Shows how much we've moved up in the world. Nowadays we build dream teams with Broxburn's finest instead of Real Madrid pish.

In the 01/02 season there was a draw at Ibrox then at Almondvale with Celtic a fortnight later. That was a Livi side with a former Real Madrid player (Rubio). We could match those results again now but instead with a former Broxburn Athletic player (Pittman). Shows how much we've moved up in the world. Nowadays we build dream teams with Broxburn's finest instead of Real Madrid pish.
I reckon it further proves that Martindale is the greatest Livi manager ever. Leishman was brilliant but we were throwing money about that we didn't have at the time and paid the price for it. What Davie has done with the resources available to him is nothing short of miraculous

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
14 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I reckon it further proves that Martindale is the greatest Livi manager ever. Leishman was brilliant but we were throwing money about that we didn't have at the time and paid the price for it. What Davie has done with the resources available to him is nothing short of miraculous

Yeah Leish won a trophy and qualified for European football, but Martindale has done far greater work on and off the pitch, with a fraction of the budget, and lets be honest, Leish wasn't doing tactics or training, he was very much the front man doing PR and motivational speeches, great personality to have at Livi but not really a hands on manager. What Martindale has done for us is phenomenal, never thought i'd see us in the top flight again, let alone in a cup final and having back to back top 6 finishes. Hit the post losing in a cup final and 1 place away from Europe, would be fitting if he could achieve both of those to match Leish's honours.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Yeah Leish won a trophy and qualified for European football, but Martindale has done far greater work on and off the pitch, with a fraction of the budget, and lets be honest, Leish wasn't doing tactics or training, he was very much the front man doing PR and motivational speeches, great personality to have at Livi but not really a hands on manager. What Martindale has done for us is phenomenal, never thought i'd see us in the top flight again, let alone in a cup final and having back to back top 6 finishes. Hit the post getting us to a cup final and 1 place away from Europe, would be fitting if he could achieve both of those to match Leish's honours.
David Hay won the cup

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:
Yeah Leish won a trophy and qualified for European football, but Martindale has done far greater work on and off the pitch, with a fraction of the budget, and lets be honest, Leish wasn't doing tactics or training, he was very much the front man doing PR and motivational speeches, great personality to have at Livi but not really a hands on manager. What Martindale has done for us is phenomenal, never thought i'd see us in the top flight again, let alone in a cup final and having back to back top 6 finishes. Hit the post getting us to a cup final and 1 place away from Europe, would be fitting if he could achieve both of those to match Leish's honours.

David Hay won the cup

Leishman won the First Division as champions. 

10 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Leishman won the First Division as champions. 

Yep, after buying up every rival team's best players 😂, like the trio from Raith after they pumped us 4-0, then raiding Airdrie for Fernandez and Broto when they went into admin. I rate us winning promotion through the play offs with one of the smallest budgets in the league as a much bigger achievement than when we won the 2nd tier with a huge budget.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

5 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Ah fair dos....when you used Martindale failing to win the cup final as an example I assumed you meant leish had won the CIS cup.

It was Livi4Ever that did that. 

For Martindale it think we should also include all the work he did as assistant manager (or whatever his title was then) with al the recruitment and training. 

For Leishman though he was great at getting "bums-on-seats". He was repeatedly at various prize giving's around the town; usually appeared in an open topped bus for the various gala days (when they existed) and really put himself out to market the product.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yep, after buying up every rival team's best players 😂, like the trio from Raith after they pumped us 4-0, then raiding Airdrie for Fernandez and Broto when they went into admin. I rate us winning promotion through the play offs with one of the smallest budgets in the league as a much bigger achievement than when we won the 2nd tier with a huge budget.

Yes - the Partick match was one I still watch occasionally when I need cheering up - a very special day. And O love to look at the guy slapping his forehead as Jacobs goal goes in. :)

23 minutes ago, Durnford said:

It was Livi4Ever that did that. 

For Martindale it think we should also include all the work he did as assistant manager (or whatever his title was then) with al the recruitment and training. 

For Leishman though he was great at getting "bums-on-seats". He was repeatedly at various prize giving's around the town; usually appeared in an open topped bus for the various gala days (when they existed) and really put himself out to market the product.

Yep brilliant PR man. Got a picture of him posing for a photo with my Daughter and her pal when they were about 9 at an Livi stadium open day. Brian McPhee came over and posed with them and spoke with me for a bit after seeing some Livi players duck into a room to avoid signing autographs or posing for pics. Thought a lot of him for doing that.

after seeing some Livi players duck into a room to avoid signing autographs or posing for pics. Thought a lot of him for doing that.

I've noticed the current crop of players usually can't do enough for fans. My daughter was a mascot at the st Johnstone game and before it every player took the time to speak to her and the other 2 mascots. Holt was in the loo at the time but when he came out he went looking for the mascots to make sure he'd seen them all. Andrew Shinniebeven took the time to speak to my wife which delighted her...maybe a bit too much. I got talking to Nouble and he happily suggested we took a picture together too. Little things like that make such an impact on fans, young and old.

I've noticed the current crop of players usually can't do enough for fans. My daughter was a mascot at the st Johnstone game and before it every player took the time to speak to her and the other 2 mascots. Holt was in the loo at the time but when he came out he went looking for the mascots to make sure he'd seen them all. Andrew Shinniebeven took the time to speak to my wife which delighted her...maybe a bit too much. I got talking to Nouble and he happily suggested we took a picture together too. Little things like that make such an impact on fans, young and old.

:lol:

Yeah great to hear, there is a great culture at the club just now, starting with reception staff onwards, where they are very obliging, i think a lot of that is down to Martindale and his whole ethos at the club. You see that reading that article with his day to day running of the players. Things have really turned around on and off field since the Massone debacle, then in fighting with Livi5 and the Rankine, Nixon shitfest.

Nouble was the same at Arbroath, away over to the young fans talking to them and posing for selfies, going to their fans meeting and some games too, after he came back to us from his loan with them. He really enjoys the support from the terraces.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Celtic don't like coming to Livingston as we've caused them problems a few times.However they'll be hurting from the other night and will want to get back to winning ways at a ground where theve relatively struggled.I expected nothing from Ibrox last week and the boys did so well to come away with a point,albeit injury time robbed us.Once again weve nothing to lose here as its another free hit for us.Think Celtic will be a  more difficult proposition than Rangers imo.But if we can frustate them weve a chance of getting something from this albeit highly unlikely. 

After Sevco pumping the sheep today, no surprise there.Absolultly brickin it for tomorrow. Weve nothing to lose whereas theve got so much to gain.The wee Lions have a mountain to climb but I darent go against them.When the impossible seems unlikely these lads rise to the occasion many times.Will be a great atmosphere, hope Livi embrace it.Couldnt happen,could it?.🤷‍♂️🦁👍.

2 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

After Sevco pumping the sheep today, no surprise there.Absolultly brickin it for tomorrow. Weve nothing to lose whereas theve got so much to gain.The wee Lions have a mountain to climb but I darent go against them.When the impossible seems unlikely these lads rise to the occasion many times.Will be a great atmosphere, hope Livi embrace it.Couldnt happen,could it?.🤷‍♂️🦁👍.

Don't think they've got a lot to gain. Just the 3 points, but a hell of a lot to lose if they don't win. Pressure is on Celtic, we're not expected to do anything