The usual suspects love this obvious troll thread.

Being benched doesn't seem to have harmed the international careers of the likes of Maguire or (recently) Foden.

Can anyone find a team in the world cup that doesn't include frequently benched players?

McTominay has substantially more minutes than Fred this season, who is in the Brazil squad, alongside a 39 year old Dani Alves who has been playing central midfield recently.

So, if the evidence suggests McTominay is good enough for Brazil, surely he is good enough for Scotland too?

Virtually no players are guaranteed first team minutes at the very top clubs. All of the players mentioned could easily get more minutes at lesser clubs, from the national team perspective is that better? I would rather they played a decent amount of games, surrounded by the best players and best coaches.

I doubt that will be answered, instead whenever a Scottish player doesn't start this thread will get plenty of inane replies from the usual suspects.

5 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Being benched doesn't seem to have harmed the international careers of the likes of Maguire or (recently) Foden.

Can anyone find a team in the world cup that doesn't include frequently benched players?

McTominay has substantially more minutes than Fred this season, who is in the Brazil squad, alongside a 39 year old Dani Alves who has been playing central midfield recently.

So, if the evidence suggests McTominay is good enough for Brazil, surely he is good enough for Scotland too?

Virtually no players are guaranteed first team minutes at the very top clubs. All of the players mentioned could easily get more minutes at lesser clubs, from the national team perspective is that better? I would rather they played a decent amount of games, surrounded by the best players and best coaches.

I doubt that will be answered, instead whenever a Scottish player doesn't start this thread will get plenty of inane replies from the usual suspects.

Really good effort this. Chapeau.

You don't think he would get in the squad ahead of a 39 year old Dani Alves and/or Fred (someone he plays ahead of at club level)?

And, of course, Tierney would also walk into that Brazil squad.

England even selected a player with 54 minutes all season. Can you imagine how aghast the usual suspects would be if that was a Scottish international? They would be fuming.

Edited by Satoshi

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

You don't think he would get in the squad ahead of a 39 year old Dani Alves and/or Fred (someone he plays ahead of at club level)?

And, of course, Tierney would also walk into that Brazil squad.

England even selected a player with 54 minutes all season. Can you imagine how aghast the usual suspects would be if that was a Scottish international? They would be fuming.

Strachan kept calling up Hutton for ages despite him being frozen out at Aston Villa. Not many people complained though as there no other options at right back really.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I don't really see how you don't understand Scotland fans being concerned with a number of important players having their game time limited recently and how that may impact the national team. I  really couldn't care less who Brazil are picking or pointless arguments about whether Mctominay would be in the Brazil squad.

There has been a lot of negativity around Southgate picking Maguire ahead of the likes of Tomori.

And let's be honest Foden isnt a great  example to compare to the likes of Tierney and McTominay. Foden is clearly being rotated to be rested (not that you will admit that) whereas Tierney and McTominay are clearly at this moment in time   players who their managers don't see as regular starters. 

Edited by dundeefc1783

Strachan kept calling up Hutton for ages despite him being frozen out at Aston Villa. Not many people complained though as there no other options at right back really.
Some might remember better than me, but I'm sure there was a year or two (maybe longer) where folk were desperate for Hutton to be replaced. I don't think we had any alternative (only Whittaker?) but there were definitely complaints.

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Virtually no players are guaranteed first team minutes at the very top clubs. All of the players mentioned could easily get more minutes at lesser clubs, from the national team perspective is that better? I would rather they played

You should be charged for wasting bandwidth.

On 14/11/2022 at 10:45, accies1874 said:
On 14/11/2022 at 10:40, Gordopolis said:
Hutton earned his place in the Hall of Fame for this alone:c19053a60451b93124579d7100ae47bf.jpg

I remember being raging and baffled at the ref giving a free-kick to Gibraltar. Felt a bit stupid when I got home and saw the video.

I could have sworn he actually won a free kick for that, which made it even funnier.  

Can't say I am overly bothered if players are getting less minutes for their club sides as long as they still put in performances for the national team.

Plenty of examples of players being shunned into being bit part players for clubs but being stars at international level.

It is only when they start playing consistently shite for Scotland or show a complete lack of progression (in younger players such as Gilmour and Hickey) we need to start worrying.

• 1 month later...

Hadn't realised Christie didn't start - he looked by far the best Bournemouth player in the highlights.

Wonder why Barry Ferguson's hat is so desperate for Scottish players to fail, probably doesn't like any Scottish people to be successful as it makes his life look like even more of a failure.

It's all a bit sad really.