Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I've seen this said about Russians and Ukrainians as well.  Apparently smiling is kind of seen as a sign of being an idiot.

I ask my friend who is Russian and she confirmed it!

On 23/10/2022 at 23:05, Shotgun said:

All Cockneys/Londoners are in love with themselves and mistakenly think everyone else wishes to be them. To be fair, this applies to natives of several British cities but Cockneys are by far the worst.

Even any Cockneys left now..

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My favourite Edinburgh building is Donaldson's College.

The city chambers in Glasgow is awesome, too. I once got a tour of the inner workings of it, including the (now disused) original ventilation systems. More interesting than it sounds.

My token rich friend (everybody should have one!) lives there now. It is rather impressive. 

On 26/10/2022 at 16:03, Oystercatcher said:

I'm in Sofia just now and the people are miserable as f**k. 

So I googled

Screenshot_20221026-180200~2.png

I found myself looking this up when I was in Riga last month.  Anybody above the age of 40 is incapable of smiling (at least in public), and apparently they just got used to trusting absolutely nobody having lived through a time when somebody's wife could have been a KGB agent ready to shop you in, leading to 'a chat' with the authorities down at the corner house.

Edited by Hedgecutter

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I found myself looking this up when I was in Riga last month.  Anybody above the age of 40 is incapable of smiling (at least in public), and apparently they just got used to trusting absolutely nobody having lived through a time when somebody's wife could have been a KGB agent ready to shop you in, leading to 'a chat' with the authorities down at the corner house.

I heard it said about the Soviet Union that if you were asked how it was going you said nothing.

If you said things were bad, you were undermining the system. So they would take you away.

If you said things were great, they wondered why you were doing better than everyone else.  So they would take you away.

There simply was no answer that would not be suspicious.  Sounds like fun.

On 28/10/2022 at 07:54, Hedgecutter said:

Yes, bit of a stereotype for Eastern Europeans they don't like fake niceness.

17 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Can one of our residents of the Philippines confirm or deny that Filipinos love to high five?

They put Mister in front of your first name.

Has anybody met a nice South African?

4 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Yes, bit of a stereotype for Eastern Europeans they don't like fake niceness.

They see people from the Anglosphere as being superficial and over-effusive and are uncomfortable with it, in much the same way we can feel uncomfortable with the way some Southern Europeans invade our personal space and cause us to spend a conversation gradually backing away from them into a corner.

Not strictly Eastern European, but the kings of taciturnity have to be the Finns who seem to have taken a countrywide oath to patch the small talk...there's a long-standing saying that you know when you've finally made friends with a Finn...after about twenty years he'll stop looking at his own feet while he's talking to you and start looking at yours.

Edited by Hillonearth