Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

21 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I've heard it said that Edinburgh is nicer to look at but the people in Glasgow are friendlier.

Thoughts?

The whole notion that Glaswegians are friendlier than anyone else is just bollocks they made up.

On the second point, I find the architecture in Glasgow far more interesting than Edinburgh. Edinburgh has the Scott Monument and Calton Hill which are striking but the rest of the place is just meh. And Edinburgh Castle has to be the most boring looking castle imaginable - and the toilets are terrible. Go around the centre of Glasgow and look up - the architectural detailing on the 19th century buildings is fantastic.

14 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Looking up in Glasgow is definitely the way to go. A lot of old buildings were torn down over the last 50 years along with a lot of slums. 

I was thinking more in the very centre of the shopping area, lots of old buildings still standing there.

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The whole notion that Glaswegians are friendlier than anyone else is just bollocks they made up.

On the second point, I find the architecture in Glasgow far more interesting than Edinburgh. Edinburgh has the Scott Monument and Calton Hill which are striking but the rest of the place is just meh. And Edinburgh Castle has to be the most boring looking castle imaginable - and the toilets are terrible. Go around the centre of Glasgow and look up - the architectural detailing on the 19th century buildings is fantastic.

Its not made up bollocks ya dick, we’re friendly as f**k. 

35 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was thinking more in the very centre of the shopping area, lots of old buildings still standing there.

The city centre is indeed. I was talking about but further out.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I'm with you on the bollocksness of Glaswegian friendliness, and to an extent on the architecture. The centre of Edinburgh does not look good at all - Princes Street (the gardens aside) is an abomination, the new St James Centre is even more hideous than the old, not to mention vulgar as f**k, George Street could be nice with a bit of effort but no-one can be arsed. There's an empty former Jobcentre, a car park and a mostly empty tax office 5 mins from Princes St and the castle etc. But the old and new towns have some fantastic buildings, with hidden gems just off the beaten track. As much as I largely dislike Leith (I never got over my first impression that it looks like Kilmarnock) there are some fascinating buildings down there.

It all depends on taste of course, my single favourite building in the city is New St Andrew's House, which probably isn't for everyone. I like the combination of art deco, a hint of brutalism and the way it fits in with it's surroundings.

Edited by Bad Wolf

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm with you on the bollocksness of Glaswegian friendliness, and to an extent on the architecture. The centre of Edinburgh does not look good at all - Princes Street (the gardens aside) is an abomination, the new St James Centre is even more hideous than the old, not to mention vulgar as f**k, George Street could be nice with a bit of effort but no-one can be arsed. There's an empty former Jobcentre, a car park and a mostly empty tax office 5 mins from Princes St and the castle etc. But the old and new towns have some fantastic buildings, with hidden gems just off the beaten track. As much as I largely dislike Leith (I never got over my first impression that it looks like Kilmarnock) there are some fascinating buildings down there.

It all depends on taste of course, my single favourite building in the city is New St Andrew's House, which probably isn't for everyone. I like the combination of art deco, a hint of brutalism and the way it fits it with it's surroundings.

My favourite Edinburgh building is Donaldson's College.

The city chambers in Glasgow is awesome, too. I once got a tour of the inner workings of it, including the (now disused) original ventilation systems. More interesting than it sounds.

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Bespoke: Dundee vs Aberdeen debate 

One's acres of concrete, the other's acres of granite - both grey and mostly featureless.

Dundonians have pies and a sense of humour.

Aberdonians have butteries and Eastern European hookers. 

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Stirling wins.

I shagged a girl in Stirling in 1998. Never shagged a girl in Inverness.

I have inlaws in that neck of the woods, you could look like the Elephant Man, and this statement is still probably true...................

Iv said before and il say again, Inverness is just Stirling but 20 years ago.

Fortunately for Inverness, as all towns are fucking gash just now, I suspect Inverness is currently miles better than Stirling. Its in for a surprise in a few years though.....