Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

People who got a 2:1 only think they had a good time at university

I did 

And just scraped a 2:1 with 18/20 in my last exam because I'm a f*cking genius. And a trained historian.

18 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

^^^ Something people who didn't pass their highers say

I've got a 1st class and a masters and I'd agree with his statement, but to be fair to you I have 0 highers so you are both right.

6 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Scandinavians: I'm well thank you. Although you seen to have gained weight since we last met and are still with that awful girlfriend.

Russians: Pah! (down another vodka)

Edited by TxRover

Nah, the "have a nice day" stuff is surface level at best. There's a reason yanks are the most medicated country in the world (citation needed). The south is almost stepfordian in that way, people being massively polite and effusive with no real warmth attached to it. 

A positive stereotype that is true of our transatlantic pals is that they are shamelessly self-promoting. I have many American pals who aren't slow to give an inventory of their value and strengths. We, on the other hand, verbally lynch these people (and I have done on occasion) and strike down anyone who seeks to praise themselves. 

Maybe I got a false impression but people in the South of the USA seem a bit more genuine with the have a nice day stuff to me. Places like New York to put it charitably not so much. If you want to experience a place where false modesty is a completely alien concept Japan is definitely the place to go. 

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe I got a false impression but people in the South of the USA seem a bit more genuine with the have a nice day stuff to me. Places like New York to put it charitably not so much.

Generally true, but with limits. The Southerners really care a bit, especially if you look like them or interest them. The New Yorkers are saying it to be polite, going through the motions…answering them annoys them.

3 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I think southerners are generally more genuine with their niceness, especially in the service industry. Took me a long time to get used to.

But chic fil a is creepy as f**k.

Chik-Fil-A is a cult.

Edited to add: I did always wonder, if you were shagging a lass from CFA, would she…”my pleasure”…at the end.

Edited by TxRover

On 04/11/2022 at 20:06, Miguel Sanchez said:

Had the pleasure of being shown this the other day, if you're still wondering about Finland.

That Salmiak that boy's eating? Reminds me of the effect that energy drinks had on a lassie I used to work with. Bouncing aff the walls all day.

Other notes: I've worked with two Finns who told me that they're considered Europe's drunken maniacs by everyone else - apparently Scots have nothing on them. Also, are we saying that chunky thighs are a bad thing?  :blink:

21 hours ago, BFTD said:

Other notes: I've worked with two Finns who told me that they're considered Europe's drunken maniacs by everyone else - apparently Scots have nothing on them.

I worked in a pub that had a Finnish guy come in for a while(he was only here working) and boy, could he drink. He guzzled pints like there was no tomorrow. After about eight solid hours of pints, he would slow down by drinking half pints but he called them boy pints which I found very amusing.