Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Haven't met Breyten Breytenbach but have met a close relative of his who definitely fits the stereotype.

...that's not bloody surprising man...

On 30/10/2022 at 20:13, Hillonearth said:

They see people from the Anglosphere as being superficial and over-effusive and are uncomfortable with it, ....

Dour Scots fit in just fine though. I moved to Canada to escape Maggie back in the 80s and I was told there were arguments initially among the East Europeans where I worked as to which Communist country I had emerged from because I was so different from the have a nice day brigade.

Yep, only when you leave Scotland do you realise that the constant misery and downtrowdeness you encounter isn't a universal trait, most people are actually pretty happy and content.

Can see it very clearly in the woe is us attitude to Scottish football, but it permeates throughout all of society.

How many other countries have a national anthem that brags one day we will 'be a nation again'?

We need more optimists, and less self hating Scots.

18 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Yep, only when you leave Scotland do you realise that the constant misery and downtrowdeness you encounter isn't a universal trait, most people are actually pretty happy and content.

How are you feeling?

Americans: Awesome!

Mainland Europeans: Good

Scots: Not bad.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Can see it very clearly in the woe is us attitude to Scottish football, but it permeates throughout all of society.

How many other countries have a national anthem that brags one day we will 'be a nation again'?

Appreciate this is a stereotype thread, but thats not a universal trait here either.

Sometimes peoples have negative perceptions that are just a symptom of their own unresolved issues....................

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

… How many other countries have a national anthem that brags one day we will 'be a nation again'?

We don’t, the lyric is “be THE nation again, that stood against him…”, most people seem to get it wrong for some reason, even some lyric searches get it wrong.

Agree about the optimism thing though.

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

Academically intelligent people really are thick when it comes to everyday scenarios and issues.

Shite.

The Prof is a fvcking genius at slaloming his way through the minefield of daily life.............and his 'rope-a-dope' handling of his acedemic colleagues is poetry in motion.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

^^^Something people who think a 2:2 is really quite a good degree say

Ah, the Desmond.  A perfect blend of getting hammered for 3.9 years at the taxpayers expense then doing a bit of work for 4 weeks to get through.

According to a mate. 

Shite.
The Prof is a fvcking genius at slaloming his way through the minefield of daily life.............and his 'rope-a-dope' handling of his acedemic colleagues is poetry in motion.
That's like calling Kane Hester a genius for ripping up League 2. The premise still holds.

Everyone who has a slightly better education than me has no common sense and most likely has some form of autism.

Everyone who has a worse education than me is a low information, drooling idiot who shouldn't have the right to vote and probably can't be trusted with cutlery.