Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

All Cockneys/Londoners are in love with themselves and mistakenly think everyone else wishes to be them. To be fair, this applies to natives of several British cities but Cockneys are by far the worst.

*Cough* Hiya Glasgow, Hiya pals

But I'm from miserable, mean, Tory Edinburgh so I would say that 

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I always thought that was something we just told ourselves until I saw evidence of it first hand. I was on a driving holiday through France with a mate. One day we ended up in a cool wee place called Soissons and thought we'd pitch up there and find digs for the night.

I saw a gendarme walking towards us and asked him if he knew any B&B places close by. He said he did and took us round the corner where a wifie was outside watering plants: "Couple of English guys here looking for a room..." he said.

The wifie launched into a big tirade about the English - there was some dialect stuff I didn't pick up, but I got the message. I said to her that if it made any difference we weren't actually English, but Scottish and it was like flipping a switch...she couldn't have been nicer. I think what convinced her was the fact I spoke to her in French rather than very slow loud English as so many English tourists are wont to do.

Yeah, would agree with this point. My ex-wife couldn't speak a word of French, but at a campsite in Brittany, I was in the pool with the kids, so, she volunteered to go to the bar. She memorised "Un cidre, une biere et trois limonades s'il vous plait" and headed off to the bar.

She warched in horror as the female bar owner completely ignored a couple of English lads who made no effort to speak French at all, and just kept asking for 2 beers in louder & louder voices until they gave up.

By this time, she had forgotten most of what she had memorised, and stumbled through an approximation of the order. The French lady congratulated her on trying (in perfect English), corrected her pronounciation and served her the drinks.

When she got back, she said that the highlight was't just getting served, but swaggering past the two lads that were still complaining about being ignored.

I think the "attempting to speak French" in France bit is huge. A few years ago, Mrs Shotgun and I entered a restaurant in The Luberon to find an English couple arguing with the waitress (loudly, in English) because she wouldn't sit the 2 of them at a 4 top during a busy lunch hour. The English couple stormed out, complaining "Obviously they don't like English people here!" Moments later, a 2-top opened up (and I have no doubt whatsoever, the waitress knew that was going to happen). Mrs Shotgun and I both smiled, nodded and chirrupped "Bonjour" in our appalling French accents, and were instantly seated. All through the meal, the staff went out of their way to make our visit special. Gently assisting us with our pronounciation as we sort-of chatted to them and helping us choose the best dishes.

I'm sure the English couple went home and bitched about the rudeness they'd encountered, while we had a great time.

9 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Europeans don't like the English abroad but they like Scots. 

Would agree with that. I went to Ayia Napa for my friends wedding about 10 years ago and a group of guys from Manchester were sitting next to us at the pool, about 3 of them had black eyes and you could see they had taken a bit of a pasting. We asked what happened and they said they went to a bar called Senor Frogs which they hadnt realised was rammed full of Eastern Europeans and staffed by Russian bouncers. One of the boys dropped their phone and a bouncer picked it up, put it in his pocket and told him it was his phone now. The English lads had a go at the bouncer to get the phone back and ended up having every Russian in a 200 yard radius coming to kick f**k out of them. They told us never to go there because British people weren’t welcome. 

A few nights later we went anyway and once we had got talking to the bar staff and they knew we were Scottish they were brand new, dishing out free shots to us the lot. We ended up bonding with them over our shared hatred of English people abroad. 

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Black people clearly can swim, just as white people can sprint. There are genetic reasons why one group is suited to one activity more than the other at the top level, but nothing that renders them physically unable to do it recreationally.

Given how the US collegiate sports / scholarship system operates it is perhaps understandable why blacks are underrepresented in swimming.

The book "Bounce" by Matthew Syed argues the case of 10,000 hours to be an expert at anything.

For example, Kenya has some greater runners, not because of genetics but because they lived in a part of Kenya where they had to run to school and back on a regular basis.

Like you say, plenty of black people can swim.  It is because they have had the chance to practice.

Americans who think "awesome" is the best word to describe anything.

"This mashed potatoes isn't just great.  It's awesome".

"Machu Picchu isn't just amazing.  It's awesome".

"Landing on the moon wasn't just incredible.  It was awesome".

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I would argue two out of your three examples were indeed awesome.

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Would agree with that. I went to Ayia Napa for my friends wedding about 10 years ago and a group of guys from Manchester were sitting next to us at the pool, about 3 of them had black eyes and you could see they had taken a bit of a pasting. We asked what happened and they said they went to a bar called Senor Frogs which they hadnt realised was rammed full of Eastern Europeans and staffed by Russian bouncers. One of the boys dropped their phone and a bouncer picked it up, put it in his pocket and told him it was his phone now. The English lads had a go at the bouncer to get the phone back and ended up having every Russian in a 200 yard radius coming to kick f**k out of them. They told us never to go there because British people weren’t welcome. 

A few nights later we went anyway and once we had got talking to the bar staff and they knew we were Scottish they were brand new, dishing out free shots to us the lot. We ended up bonding with them over our shared hatred of English people abroad. 

I don't know about Ayia Napa but Russians do not have a great reputation abroad.  My dad lived in Cyprus in the 1990s when a lot of Russians began moving there and quite a few Cypriots weren't enamoured with them.  I think that might have been to do with the sort of Russian who moved to Cyprus and their reasons for doing so - ie criminals and gangsters needing money laundering facilities.

7 hours ago, Fullerene said:

compared to Scotland: 

"These mashed potatoes aren't just great, they're no bad"

"Machu Picchu isn't just amazing. It's all right"

"Landing on the moon wasn't just incredible. It was OK"

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

compared to Scotland: 

"These mashed potatoes aren't just great, they're no bad"

"Machu Picchu isn't just amazing. It's all right"

"Landing on the moon wasn't just incredible. It was OK"

They're just tatties. 

If Machu Pichu is so great, why does no c**t live there? 

Moon? Aye right. 

On 23/10/2022 at 12:40, BFTD said:

Is it acceptable to post weird stereotypes in this thread too?

The Americans have all sorts of strange stereotypes about black people, but one of the oddest is that black people can't swim and/or are afraid of water. I presume this dates back to the days of slavery in ways that I don't want to consider, but WTAF?

There's a grain of truth to this, stemming from the fact that black americans used to be excluded from using the leisure facilities available to whites. Most people are first taught how to swim or introduced to water by a parent or relatives, so if your guardians have never learned to swim it's unlikely you will. Then it becomes a generational thing, where black people who don't know of a single family member who can actually swim start to either buy into some sort of weird cultural myth that black people can not swim due to their race, or they develop an almost phobic dislike for pools and open water because they rationalise the lack of people they know who can swim as the water itself being the reason for that. 

I've seen this explained somewhere in a documentary but I can't for the life of me remember where it was. Suffice to say, in the US there's still a huge discrepancy between numbers of black people who can already swim or are learning to swim, and white people in the same social strata, and there's no real explanation for it beyond being a lingering cultural phenomenon because of the old exclusionary laws.

Edit - sorry, just skim read the thread and realised this has mostly already been covered by other posters, but aye, what they said.

Edited by Boo Khaki