Doonhamers vs. Bairns

I've no idea what to make of this bonkers unpredictable league at the moment.  A couple of weeks back I'd have said that Dunfermline/Falkirk were the two "quality" sides in the division and that they would steadily pull away from the rest, but then look at both these sides results last week.  Edinburgh are well in the mix but we've pumped them twice.  Kelty narrowly beat Queens the other week and their results seem to be picking up now (not surprising as they have some decent "names" in their squad) so maybe they've finally got their shit together and will now drive up the league.

Sometimes Queens play some nice stuff but we're very reliant on Wilson and Todd staying fit - and their history tells us that really ain't gonna happen for consistent periods over the course of a season.  I'd happily take a draw here, but a win is what's really needed to get us back close to play-off contention - hope springs eternal, but I think a draw is our best hope here.

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting our use of personnel is predictable, but... [emoji2955]
Reilly and Paton will be our starting forwards.  If Bange is to appear it will only be for the last 10 minutes after we have launched into full-on desperation mode, chasing a win/point which is well beyond our reach by that time.  Ditto Lewis Gibson.
McGrory may start but will be subbed off if he does, if he doesn't start he will be brought on for 20 mins/half an hour.  On no account will he be allowed the full 90.  Murray will be on the pitch far longer than he should be.  Wullie G should feature but won't.
We will go into the game with one formation but this will be changed on at least two occasions as the match progresses.
We will leave the ground happy with a point even though it leaves us even more firmly anchored into a mid-table void.

I was with you up until the last sentence. I do love the optimism behind it mind you...

14 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting our use of personnel is predictable, but... 🤨

Reilly and Paton will be our starting forwards.  If Bange is to appear it will only be for the last 10 minutes after we have launched into full-on desperation mode, chasing a win/point which is well beyond our reach by that time.  Ditto Lewis Gibson.

McGrory may start but will be subbed off if he does, if he doesn't start he will be brought on for 20 mins/half an hour.  On no account will he be allowed the full 90.  Murray will be on the pitch far longer than he should be.  Wullie G should feature but won't.

We will go into the game with one formation but this will be changed on at least two occasions as the match progresses.

We will leave the ground happy with a point even though it leaves us even more firmly anchored into a mid-table void.

Agree with this. Bange probably is not better than Paton or Reilly but why not mix it up especially if we are going to play the ball forward quickly a bigger guy attracts attention of the more physical defender. Could not believe how many times against Clyde we could have past ball from back but sent it long. Young Lewis is a cracking player and should be getting his chances gradually. McGrory is a weird one seems to be one of WG first picks but also first one to remove. Wilson and Todd are first picks but especially Wilson fitness is a major issue. I like the way Cochrane has come back in from the cold even although he took abuse at Airdrie has worked really hard. I thought he had a good game against Clyde. Murray is a very frustrating player he either disappears for long time in games or is too greedy and over plays it. I would play Connelly every time over Murray and if was not going well for him could bring Murray on. I won't even get started on the formation constant changes it is really annoying especially with that is what we hated from AJ's time. 

We have a wee gene in our DNA that kind of says that “if we win, something really good will happen” and applying the 80-20 rule, we tend to win 20% of those games.

The other side of the coin is that “if we win, we will stop something really bad from happening”. We tend to win 80% of those games.

Given that a defeat on Saturday would see us become part of a McGlynn autumn slump (RR experienced it two or three times), then we will win. Bold prediction.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

On 24/10/2022 at 21:34, Otis Blue said:

I've no idea what to make of this bonkers unpredictable league at the moment.  A couple of weeks back I'd have said that Dunfermline/Falkirk were the two "quality" sides in the division and that they would steadily pull away from the rest, but then look at both these sides results last week.  Edinburgh are well in the mix but we've pumped them twice.  Kelty narrowly beat Queens the other week and their results seem to be picking up now (not surprising as they have some decent "names" in their squad) so maybe they've finally got their shit together and will now drive up the league.

Sometimes Queens play some nice stuff but we're very reliant on Wilson and Todd staying fit - and their history tells us that really ain't gonna happen for consistent periods over the course of a season.  I'd happily take a draw here, but a win is what's really needed to get us back close to play-off contention - hope springs eternal, but I think a draw is our best hope here.

If you think this league is bonkers the championship is absolutely aff it's nut. 

There is no chance that this team will be picked but I would go with :-

Fox

Gibson P.McKay East Hendrie

McGrory Wilson Todd

Paton Bange L. Gibson

Difficult to pick a RCB as none of the candidates have been remotely solid but on basis that Paul McKay did well last season (pre-injury) I would go with him. Unlikely that both Wilson and Todd will be fit. I don’t think Cochrane has what it takes so I would look elsewhere. I really want Connelly in the team certainly ahead of Murray but Paton doesn’t deserve not to start given his overall contribution so far and I genuinely think young Lewis is potentially “the real deal” so need to start giving him proper game time to test him. If he runs out of steam Connelly is a great option.

This is all fantasy stuff because our best player will probably be standing on the touch line duplicating what Grant Murray can do and we will continue to look very weak defensively down our right flank.

That said still hoping for a much needed win whoever plays.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Fox

McGrory Wilson Todd

Paton Bange L. Gibson

Difficult to pick a RCB as none of the candidates have been remotely solid but on basis that Paul McKay did well last season (pre-injury) I would go with him. Unlikely that both Wilson and Todd will be fit. I don’t think Cochrane has what it takes so I would look elsewhere. I really want Connelly in the team certainly ahead of Murray but Paton doesn’t deserve not to start given his overall contribution so far and I genuinely think young Lewis is potentially “the real deal” so need to start giving him proper game time to test him. If he runs out of steam Connelly is a great option.

This is all fantasy stuff because our best player will probably be standing on the touch line duplicating what Grant Murray can do and we will continue to look very weak defensively down our right flank.

Aye, it's time Wullie (or Chairman) put the good of the team before what they think the player/managers role should be at the Club. He, whichever ones decision it is to leave Wullie out, is weakening the team and in doing so is cheating the customers. Ok, Wullie may not be up to playing every minute of every game but he should either start or come off the bench. When experienced players like Todd and Wilson are missing we really need another old head in there to steady and organise things. I'm sure Grant Murray can run things from the sidelines and Wullie would be closer to the players to get his message across. Ok, results might not suddenly improve if Wullie plays, that's the gamble, but theoretically he should improve the team. 

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Aye, it's time Wullie (or Chairman) put the good of the team before what they think the player/managers role should be at the Club. He, whichever ones decision it is to leave Wullie out, is weakening the team and in doing so is cheating the customers. Ok, Wullie may not be up to playing every minute of every game but he should either start or come off the bench. When experienced players like Todd and Wilson are missing we really need another old head in there to steady and organise things. I'm sure Grant Murray can run things from the sidelines and Wullie would be closer to the players to get his message across. Ok, results might not suddenly improve if Wullie plays, that's the gamble, but theoretically he should improve the team. 

Agree with all of that - it is almost as though somebody has this pre-conceived idea that WG has to be one thing or another. Flexibility is the key based on how the team is performing. If we were flying like our last visit to League 1 without WG’s playing services then there is no issue to debate. I think somewhere within the club - a very intransigent stance is being adopted and the “plot has been well and truly lost”.

I had hoped that after witnessing such a poor start to the season on so many levels common sense would prevail but it now looks very unlikely. 

6 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Fox

McGrory Wilson Todd

Paton Bange L. Gibson

Since we are likely to play a 3 at the back (then likely change shape when getting pumped after about 20 minutes) I’d go with this team 

Fox

Gibson

Mckenna

D. Mckay

East

Hendrie

Wilson

Todd

Connelly

Bange

Reilly

For me, the last few weeks Paton hasn’t been doing anywhere near enough in his overall game to be guaranteed a start and thought Bange looked good when he came on last week. There is obviously no chance Wullie starts unfortunately so it’ll be Mckenna to right back and P.McKay to come in. Would maybe like to see Gibson jr get a start though at wingback since his dad won’t likely be playing!

4 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Since we are likely to play a 3 at the back (then likely change shape when getting pumped after about 20 minutes) I’d go with this team 

Fox

Gibson

Mckenna

D. Mckay

East

Hendrie

Wilson

Todd

Connelly

Bange

Reilly

For me, the last few weeks Paton hasn’t been doing anywhere near enough in his overall game to be guaranteed a start and thought Bange looked good when he came on last week. There is obviously no chance Wullie starts unfortunately so it’ll be Mckenna to right back and P.McKay to come in. Would maybe like to see Gibson jr get a start though at wingback since his dad won’t likely be playing!

Do you not think Paton's form dropped after WG left him out at Airdrie. He is obviously a confidence player took his goal last week very well and hooked after 60 minutes.

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Do you not think Paton's form dropped after WG left him out at Airdrie. He is obviously a confidence player took his goal last week very well and hooked after 60 minutes.

Yeah his attitude at Airdrie has been shocking, would agree with you that seems to have been the turning point

Michael Ruth injured or still at school ?

Always a tough game at Palmerston, well in my time.

A quick look back and Pressley had Queens number for sure 😶

Hoping for a win but can see a score draw, if we do get beat we will have seasons over posters 😂😂

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Michael Ruth injured or still at school ?

Always a tough game at Palmerston, well in my time.

A quick look back and Pressley had Queens number for sure 😶

Hoping for a win but can see a score draw, if we do get beat we will have seasons over posters 😂😂

It won't be season over but you will get the we never turned up second half v Alloa,  beat off Kelty again, plus this. We have a just not turn up type performance in us. Lose tomorrow and it makes six points from Dunfermline and Edinburgh a must. 

Are people honestly wanting Henderson dropped? Yes, he had a poor first half last weekend and cost us two goals. Apart from that he's been very comfortable the 5-6 previous games at centre half. Players will have games like that in a season. Be different if he was making these mistakes week in, week out, but he isnt.

Are people honestly wanting Henderson dropped? Yes, he had a poor first half last weekend and cost us two goals. Apart from that he's been very comfortable the 5-6 previous games at centre half. Players will have games like that in a season. Be different if he was making these mistakes week in, week out, but he isnt.
If he could make it two weeks in a row and then stop that would be grand.

7 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

We've not had a penalty yet..so we're due one.

Sometimes our defending at corners and crosses into the box are as good as a penalty to the opposition so don't worry. 

It's a grey, miserable, pissing wet day in Dumfries the noo, hopefully not an indication of our performance later today. 

10 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Personally I'd only change the midfield area. A lot will depend on how McGlynn has pre planned on hurting QoS weaknesses. I reckon Yeats is a certainty to come in, not so sure on others.