Motherwell v Aberdeen 22/10/22

If VAR had checked for a possible foul on Lamie or handball in the box then the scoreboard screen would have shown a message stating "possible penalty review" followed by a message stating "no penalty". 

No message = no review as far as I'm concerned. 

8 minutes ago, Pepper said:

If VAR had checked for a possible foul on Lamie or handball in the box then the scoreboard screen would have shown a message stating "possible penalty review" followed by a message stating "no penalty". 

You're putting a lot of faith in the Fir Park scoreboard there. It sees more breakdowns on a Saturday afternoon than the RAC.

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

Do these not only get displayed if the game is actually stopped for a review? Unless I'm mistaken they don't get flashed up if play is still carrying on and they're being quietly checked in the background.

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Do these not only get displayed if the game is actually stopped for a review? Unless I'm mistaken they don't get flashed up if play is still carrying on and they're being quietly checked in the background.

Yeah, everything gets checked and it becomes a review if the VAR spots something the referee got wrong, that's when the game would be stopped (when the ball's out of play - don't think they'll ever just blow the whistle?) and you get the VAR Review flashing up on a screen.

8 hours ago, Pepper said:

I suppose after a while fans will get to grips with how VAR operates. 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'd say it took about 15 years for the pass back rule, and this is more complicated. 

There are a lot of folk out there who can't grasp that the VAR looks at everything as the game goes on. They review incidents which they deem to be contentious and if they don't think they are contentious, rightly or wrongly, and the referee's decision stands then the fans won't know. It doesn't mean the incident hasn't been looked at. Motherwell's last minute "penalties" a case in point. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

There are a lot of folk out there who can't grasp that the VAR looks at everything as the game goes on. They review incidents which they deem to be contentious and if they don't think they are contentious, rightly or wrongly, and the referee's decision stands then the fans won't know. It doesn't mean the incident hasn't been looked at. Motherwell's last minute "penalties" a case in point. 

They can't look at everything. It's not physically possible. Events can get missed. There's one guy per game. He has a better chance of spotting things than the ref but he's not omniscient. 

We'll never know which ones have had the initial check and which haven't. 

33 minutes ago, coprolite said:

They can't look at everything. It's not physically possible. Events can get missed. There's one guy per game. He has a better chance of spotting things than the ref but he's not omniscient. 

Exactly this.

I mean, I think most of us understand what the ideal of VAR is without being patronised and in principle yeah they should check everything but this isn't the sort of version of VAR you see in the monied leagues with the resources they're afforded. We've already been briefed in advance that there may be teething problems with the roll out up here.

It's hilarious that folk are scandalised by the suggestion that VAR may not have checked the incidents. It's entirely possible that both the referee and VAR guy missed them.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Exactly this.

I mean, I think most of us understand what the ideal of VAR is without being patronised and in principle yeah they should check everything but this isn't the sort of version of VAR you see in the monied leagues with the resources they're afforded. We've already been briefed in advance that there may be teething problems.

It's hilarious that folk are scandalised by the suggestion that VAR may not have checked the incidents. It's entirely possible that both the referee and VAR guy missed them.

This is what have been trying to say but you have articulated it better than me .

On the Premier League site ( yes I know it’s maybe different in England before anyone jumps in) it says the following which sounds a bit more realistic than omnipresent Wizard of Oz guff : -

What about incidents not seen by the on-field officials? 

The VAR has a short window to intervene on unseen incidents.

If the ball is in play, they have until the next restart. If it is out of play, they have until the second restart.

The FA's retrospective disciplinary process remains for incidents not captured by the match officials or VAR.

Joining this debate late so not read all the posts.

Whilst, Im pretty realistic and dont expect VAR to pick up on everything, Im astonished that even the most ardent Aberdeen fan would think the Lamie incident shouldnt have been picked up.

Your manager saw it from the half way line and was concerned enough to ask if there was a check being carried out.

This one went against us, and fair play to you for getting the 3 points. But dont pretend you wouldnt have been absolutely raging if the same had happened to you.

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Joining this debate late so not read all the posts.

Whilst, Im pretty realistic and dont expect VAR to pick up on everything, Im astonished that even the most ardent Aberdeen fan would think the Lamie incident shouldnt have been picked up.

Your manager saw it from the half way line and was concerned enough to ask if there was a check being carried out.

This one went against us, and fair play to you for getting the 3 points. But dont pretend you wouldnt have been absolutely raging if the same had happened to you.

I was more raging the fact the referee neglected to send off Lamie in the first half.

Blatant body check on Miovski after about 15 mins. The attack carries on but the ref incredibly let him off when the ball eventually goes dead. 

About 15 minutes later he was booked for upending Duk. 
Motherwell should’ve been down to 10 after 30 minutes, and a goal down.

You’re looking at a horsing if the ref does his job, so spare me the whining about Lamie & some foul. 

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

There's not one guy per game, there's two, three if you include the replay chappy. Two of them watch the match so that if the main VAR has to concentrate on an incident while the match is still going on the assistant continues to watch live play.

9 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I was more raging the fact the referee neglected to send off Lamie in the first half.

Blatant body check on Miovski after about 15 mins. The attack carries on but the ref incredibly let him off when the ball eventually goes dead. 

You’re looking at a horsing if the ref does his job, so spare me the whining about Lamie & some foul. 

I don’t think these incidents are related,  Also unrelated was the boy stamping on Tierney in the box.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

There's not one guy per game, there's two, three if you include the replay chappy. Two of them watch the match so that if the main VAR has to concentrate on an incident while the match is still going on the assistant continues to watch live play.

You're right. My 15 year timetable is already looking optimistic. 

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Was a ridiculous decision not to book him for the foul on miovski.