Motherwell v Aberdeen 22/10/22

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

If it was just a pull on the shirt then fair enough, but he was dragged to the ground quite forcibly.  The ref missed it, which happens, but I fully expected VAR to get involved.  

If there was a message going up saying VAR checking potential penalty, then a message saying no penalty then I would have been annoyed as usual but gone home thinking VAR had done a job.

The way it happened meant I had no idea if the game was over.  I don’t think they looked at it.

Utter shite. It was looked at, the decision was no penalty, and a minute or so later the game finished with 3 away points for Aberdeen. Ye canny whack it.

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Looks like one effect of VAR is fans whining incessantly about relatively trivial offences they wouldn't have expected to be given last week. Yay. 

See if you think it's trivial in the remaining 30 odd games this season when it doesn't do what its meant to for your team.

The issue here is VAR is meant to get all the stuff that the pundits bump gums about on a Saturday/Sunday night. It's adding more to the debate and therefore frustration which is a bollox.

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You thought that would happen? Really?

No because I've watched Match of the Day for over a year. The issue is many will give a degree of slack for a referee being conned or their view obscured, a linesman having to make a call over 6" from 60 yards away, we understand human frailties. However, umpteen cameras, slo-mo, additional eyeballs and the ability to pitchside review plus a significant cost to each club only can result in a collective "WTF?".

VAR is meant to remove the objective to make it more binary and it's not.

10 minutes ago, ropy said:

If it was just a pull on the shirt then fair enough, but he was dragged to the ground quite forcibly.  The ref missed it, which happens, but I fully expected VAR to get involved.  

If there was a message going up saying VAR checking potential penalty, then a message saying no penalty then I would have been annoyed as usual but gone home thinking VAR had done a job.

The way it happened meant I had no idea if the game was over.  I don’t think they looked at it.

I don’t think they looked at it either .  

What would make us think that they would look at it?

I think a potential trip in the box with two opposing players coming together they will check. Ball appearing to strike a hand ? Yes they will check that too. Jostling in the box? Would that not mean that every time the ball comes into the box ( could be a free kick, cross from open play or a corner) that some dude in the VAR room is replaying the game looking for infringements ?

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Utter shite. It was looked at, the decision was no penalty, and a minute or so later the game finished with 3 away points for Aberdeen. Ye canny whack it.

You might be right but I have nothing to confirm that it was looked at.

First of many games where forums will be rammed with VAR perceived injustice chat rather than the game itself, get the point of VAR but it is too flawed, for many reasons, to be of any great help imo. Have we learned nothing from other leagues? It Interrupts the flow of the game too much and raises the expectation with some that each and every infringement and mistake will be picked up and acted upon. Fans, of all clubs, will be moaning over decisions that would be written off as the usual sh1te refereeing.

51 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

No because I've watched Match of the Day for over a year. The issue is many will give a degree of slack for a referee being conned or their view obscured, a linesman having to make a call over 6" from 60 yards away, we understand human frailties. However, umpteen cameras, slo-mo, additional eyeballs and the ability to pitchside review plus a significant cost to each club only can result in a collective "WTF?".

VAR is meant to remove the objective to make it more binary and it's not.

It can't and obviously, it never will. 

29 minutes ago, ropy said:

You might be right but I have nothing to confirm that it was looked at.

You mean apart from the fact that the VAR checks every contentious decision in the box? I hate the VAR system but here I am defending it because it is actually here to stay. 

There's no difference to how that game planned out if it was played yesterday or last weekend, except 6 extra cameras and a lot of expense. That for me is the issue.

Anyway, Aberdeen benefitted and we didn't. You'd hope it would even out over the season. However I look forward to all you guys revelling or glossing over it losing your shit when it inevitably happens to you.

36 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

See if you think it's trivial in the remaining 30 odd games this season when it doesn't do what its meant to for your team.

The issue here is VAR is meant to get all the stuff that the pundits bump gums about on a Saturday/Sunday night. It's adding more to the debate and therefore frustration which is a bollox.

VAR's not meant to catch everything at all.

It's a second look at things that get spotted not a comprehensive review of everything that happens. 

I probably will be extra raging because two incompetent fannies (five counting assistants and the spare p***k by the dugout) have managed to miss stuff right enough. 

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You mean apart from the fact that the VAR checks every contentious decision in the box? I hate the VAR system but here I am defending it because it is actually here to stay. 

Who is the arbiter as to what is contentious? So if the referee misses something in the box what are we relying on here? Shouts from the crowd? Players reactions ? 

I'm finding it hard to believe that someone is checking and replaying footage every time the ball is in the box.

2 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Who is the arbiter as to what is contentious? So if the referee misses something in the box what are we relying on here? Shouts from the crowd? Players reactions ? 

I'm finding it hard to believe that someone is checking and replaying footage every time the ball is in the box.

I suggest you watch the programme about the VAR system that is presently on BBC iplayer. 

54 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Glasgow Motherwell FC, you just got Cormacked.

dc.png.200e4f717394e6001bceb3672c0fafa2.png

Cormacked

verb, past participle

The act of eliciting a league victory from one of two teams away from home in 18 months.

Example: "Fit Like ..... we fair Cormacked Motherwell/St Johnstone* today min" (*delete as appropriate)

Similar: fortunate, lucky, blessed, favoured, charmed, successful, prosperous, advantaged, jammy, advantageous, opportune, serendipitous, auspicious, propitious, felicitous, convenient, chance, fortuitous, accidental, unexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, fluky

Cormacking

verb, present participle

Evoke feelings of superiority, mostly founded 3rd highest wage budget and memories of early 80's prowess. Countered with direction to record books, trophy cabinet and reality.

Yours Sincerely,

Motherwell FC from Lanarkshire (4th most hated club in Scotland)

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Cormacked

verb, past participle

The act of eliciting a league victory from one of two teams away from home in 18 months.

Example: "Fit Like ..... we fair Cormacked Motherwell/St Johnstone* today min" (*delete as appropriate)

Similar: fortunate, lucky, blessed, favoured, charmed, successful, prosperous, advantaged, jammy, advantageous, opportune, serendipitous, auspicious, propitious, felicitous, convenient, chance, fortuitous, accidental, unexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, fluky

Cormacking

verb, present participle

Evoke feelings of superiority, mostly founded 3rd highest wage budget and memories of early 80's prowess. Countered with direction to record books, trophy cabinet and reality.

Yours Sincerely,

11 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

You really don’t have any understanding of VAR, or simply haven’t been watching football very closely these last few years, if that’s your thought process. 

Jostling in the box? Would that not mean that every time the ball comes into the box ( could be a free kick, cross from open play or a corner) that some dude in the VAR room is replaying the game looking for infringements ?

That is literally their job, so yes.

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Cormacked

verb, past participle

Cormacking

verb, present participle

Yours Sincerely,

You wish you were so relevant.

I hate The Rangers, Celtic & Hearts.

The rest?… pffftt, other than during the 90 minutes, don’t give a shite.