Next temporary leader of the Conservative Party PM

Granny Danger

Next Temporary Leader of the Conservative Party PM  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Are there posters on here who think Sunak is more morally sound than Johnson?  I certainly don’t.

Personally yes, politically no.

Unless Rishi has a line of mistresses he's paid for to have abortions, shagged behind his wife's back, been sacked multiple times for lying etc etc etc.

Not saying he is morally sound, just not on the massive scale of BoJo the clown.

It's a rock and a hard place. 

If we do have to endure this party for another two years, then it seems Sunak is most likely to calm the markets down. Labour will just need to continually remind everyone of the role he has played in previous government and some of his wife's financial practises. 

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Most likely scenario IMO is that Sunak recovers some of their traditional base in the leafy shires but gets absolutely hammered in the red wall 

I don't think saviour Boris would save many seats (if any) in the red wall either, seeing as though his grand promises oddly enough did not transpire. 

I'll be glad when it goes back to unquestionably voting Labour, so we never have to hear about it ever again. Sick of "what will red wall voters make of this" commentary in response to any given policy or some culture war shite that crops up now and then. Their opinion is no more relevant than that of anyone else, and it's just a lazily-imported US term to pigeonhole and stereotype voters. 

I agree Sunak should claw back the party base a bit, but there will still be big losses. Mortgage rates are going up, energy costs are well up with support potentially ending for many and the housing market is about to crash. A lot of the Tory target demographic will be badly impacted by the interest rates and support there will suffer. The best that can be said, is the impact will be less severe than if Johnson were in charge, but there will be prolonged squeeze on living standards and that never bodes well. The UK being a prisoner of the markets at the moment means the scope for maneuver is also pretty limited. 

Sunak is unpopular with a fair section of the party, so I wonder if he might be able to hold it together, if only out of pure self-interest on behalf of c200 Tory MPs that are at risk of losing their seats.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't think saviour Boris would save many seats (if any) in the red wall either, seeing as though his grand promises oddly enough did not transpire. 

I'll be glad when it goes back to unquestionably voting Labour, so we never have to hear about it ever again. Sick of "what will red wall voters make of this" commentary in response to any given policy or some culture war shite that crops up now and then. Their opinion is no more relevant than that of anyone else, and it's just a lazily-imported US term to pigeonhole and stereotype voters. 

I agree Sunak should claw back the party base a bit, but there will still be big losses. Mortgage rates are going up, energy costs are well up with support potentially ending for many and the housing market is about to crash. A lot of the Tory target demographic will be badly impacted by the interest rates and support there will suffer. The best that can be said, is the impact will be less severe than if Johnson were in charge, but there will be prolonged squeeze on living standards and that never bodes well. The UK being a prisoner of the markets at the moment means the scope for maneuver is also pretty limited. 

Sunak is unpopular with a fair section of the party, so I wonder if he might be able to hold it together, if only out of pure self-interest on behalf of c200 Tory MPs that are at risk of losing their seats.

Sunak is the best bet at the present time. He’s a serious politician which is what we need at the present time.

A day or two ago I heard Mervyn King state that the world is going to be a poorer place for a good few years due to Covid, Ukraine and all the money printing by all the Central Banks. It’s just a fact, I’m afraid. Taxes will need to rise and not just on the wealthy (not enough of them) with the  middle classes  hit quite badly. He painted a miserable scenario but I think he’s right, unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sunak is the best bet at the present time. He’s a serious politician which is what we need at the present time.

A day or two ago I heard Mervyn King state that the world is going to be a poorer place for a good few years due to Covid, Ukraine and all the money printing by all the Central Banks. It’s just a fact, I’m afraid. Taxes will need to rise and not just on the wealthy (not enough of them) with the  middle classes  hit quite badly. He painted a miserable scenario but I think he’s right, unfortunately.

You can only raise taxes if you have high wages and in Scotland just now the average salary is around £23k to £24k, however we still have a large percentage on much less than that.

The BBC and our Westminster politicians seem to think that a "poor wage" is around £35k, however they're all living in cloud cuckoo land.

Incidentally, the "Russia" excuse and Covid are quite convenient to mask the fact that this has been coming for years but we continually just kicked the can down the road by playing dumb and keeping interest rates at ridiculously low artificial rates, however it's now we have to pay the piper I'm afraid.

The Car leasing sector will be one of the first to crash and any Bank who's tied up in it will see major losses, it will then snowball from there and with the majority of the population having very little disposable income we'll see what's left of our broken retail sector crash and burn along with the construction industry which will only lead to extremely high unemployment.

Of course, we've not even started discussing the waves of strike action and general rage among the general population.....

Talking of Tory policies, I'll be very very surprised if we don't see a reintroduction of some of their more draconian 80's policies such as Youth training scheme (YTS) and Employment Training (ET).

This will kill two birds with one stone for them as it will fill the low paid poor jobs that nobody wants while getting people off the unemployment statistics and appeasing the business lobby as they only have to pay them a pittance on top of their buroo money or lose their benefits if they refuse.

It’s all over bar the shouting, absolutely no way Penny is getting to 100. Very disappointed as this is the least hilarious outcome. The only real point & laugh opportunity is the red faced gammons in the Tory membership who will be apoplectic at not getting to reject a brown person, again.