Next temporary leader of the Conservative Party PM

Granny Danger

Next Temporary Leader of the Conservative Party PM  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we need to consider what the ultimate banter option is here, because that’s probably where we end up.

Sunak getting the vast majority of MPs, and Johnson absolutely point-blank refusing to stand aside under huge pressure from the party after scraping 100 is probably the starting point. Beyond that Johnson winning handsomely amongst members in a sham of an online vote with it being proven anyone from anywhere could vote if they paid their £25. Resignations galore, putting us either in GE territory or a collapse of the government days after it’s formed.

If it turns out Tories are too spineless for that (quelle surprise) then Johnson getting banned from the Commons with a potential by-election for his seat in a couple of months seems completely inevitable. Spineless c***s like Sharma, Jenrick and Lewis return to insist while they ‘disagree with the decision’ the PM getting banned from the House of Commons for deliberately lying is perfectly normal stuff.

The last thing the Tories want is another vote. I think they'll do all they can to avoid one and it's possible they'll succeed: Sunak will get well above a hundred declared supporters and Mordaunt, if she sees her chances dwindle, may withdraw for the sake of the party (and a decent Cabinet post). That's assuming Johnson declares, but I secretly suspect he won't: he'll need well over a hundred supporters to be plausible. Even declared parliamentary supporters may swither if Sunak has clear momentum. The optics of pushing for a vote in those circumstances would be terrible.

Plus the more thoughtful Johnson supporters – there must be some – that things are going to get even worse in the economy. A Johnson win would tank the markets far more than Truss has over the past few weeks. There's no way the Tories will win the next election. Better, they might think, for Johnson to stand back and watch the Tories lose the next election and then come in as the saviour.

Edited by Mr Heliums

In the run up to the last Tory leadership election a MSM source (possibly SKY news) described five or six separate, though overlapping, groups of Tory MPs with their own agendas.  They are as fragmented as hell.

Whether Sunak or Johnson wins there are going to be huge divisions in the Conservative Parliamentary Party and the right wing will not take kindly to Sunak.

It was spoken about the other day that the many many factions in the Conservative Party actually hate each other more that the opposition.

Long may their ripping apart of each other continue.  They really are vile.

The morally bankrupt disgusting crook Johnson returning would be the finale this dreadful soap opera deserves.

I'm not convinced the criminal can actually get to the threshold of 100 votes.

Incredibly this is the piece of vermin that was launched for being a lying, swindling, criminal narcissistic sociopath only a few months ago.

The Conservative party, beyond parody and how anyone can vote for them is bewildering.

They disgust me for what they have done to people all over this country.   It should never be forgotten or forgiven.

Bevan was right all those years ago.

Surely when Sunak loses the members vote to two consecutive morons, but two consecutive white morons he'll finally realise he's spent years pandering to a party composed almost exclusively of racist arseholes and f**k off to a full time job in the city. 

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Boris is clearly the medias favourite they are pushing him big style

They want him back because he is a showman - he knows exactly how to get the cameras pointing in his direction.

He can be hopeless incompetent at everything else but that's okay because then they can get him to do their bidding.

Boris Johnson is the Tories "Hail Mary" pass.

My opinion is that it makes little difference who wins as whoever they choose the plan will be AusterityMax and to hang on till Oct 24 in the hope that enough people will have forgotten the last 6 weeks (or 14 years as it will be by then).

56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In the run up to the last Tory leadership election a MSM source (possibly SKY news) described five or six separate, though overlapping, groups of Tory MPs with their own agendas.  They are as fragmented as hell.

Whether Sunak or Johnson wins there are going to be huge divisions in the Conservative Parliamentary Party and the right wing will not take kindly to Sunak.

I agree.  Andrew Stephenson, MP for Pendle in Lancashire was on the BBC earlier claiming that he can't walk in his constituency without Tory members demanding the return of Johnson.  I can see no way that the rank and file will accept an unopposed coronation of Sunak - many of these people are frankly borderline nutters who would gladly take Benny Hill over Isaac Newton any day of the week.

And then we have the vexed question of ethnicity, which is never far from the surface in a largely elderly white membership.

We'll see if Bojo can scramble 100 backers. 

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Those who want the return of Boris should remember the saying "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me." 

It is beyond staggering that he has the brass neck to run again.

But it’s not though, is it.  He showed throughout his time in office that he thought the rules should not apply to him.  He also believes that the significant majority he won in 2019 entitles him to carry on.

Whilst he masked it well he was furious with those who disposed him and realises that if he can win again it will be both historical and will allow him retribution.

If he stands and loses then he will have simply exploited divisions; he will take some comfort from that.

56 minutes ago, Tynie Pecksniff said:

It was spoken about the other day that the many many factions in the Conservative Party actually hate each other more that the opposition.

Long may their ripping apart of each other continue.  They really are vile.

The morally bankrupt disgusting crook Johnson returning would be the finale this dreadful soap opera deserves.

I'm not convinced the criminal can actually get to the threshold of 100 votes.

Incredibly this is the piece of vermin that was launched for being a lying, swindling, criminal narcissistic sociopath only a few months ago.

The Conservative party, beyond parody and how anyone can vote for them is bewildering.

They disgust me for what they have done to people all over this country.   It should never be forgotten or forgiven.

Bevan was right all those years ago.

Aye but apart from that...

49 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Boris is clearly the medias favourite they are pushing him big style

I wonder which story will get the most clicks or sales?

The last thing the Tories want is another vote. I think they'll do all they can to avoid one and it's possible they'll succeed: Sunak will get well above a hundred declared supporters and Mordaunt, if she sees her chances dwindle, may withdraw for the sake of the party (and a decent Cabinet post). That's assuming Johnson declares, though he'll need well over a hundred to be a plausible candidate. Even declared parliamentary supporters may swither if Sunak has clear momentum. The optics of pushing for a vote in those circumstances would be terrible.
If Sunak gets a clear majority of MPs - we are talking closer to 200 - then the pressure will be on Johnson not stand.

If he doesn't you could have the ludicrous situation of Sunak to win the MPs vote by a landslide only to lose when it goes to their gammony racist membership.

The big worry for me is that if BJ gets back in, the certainty that Labour win the next election suddenly becomes merely a likelihood.

I live among the English, I have a Tory MP. I would not underestimate the willingness of their insane electorate to vote the Tories with Johnson back in as 'he got Brexit done and he tells it like it is they all lie anyway Starmer is boring'.

There's already a gathering narrative that partygate etc is old news. Nobody is fussed about that anymore, a lot of folk think covid was a joke anyway, and Johnson's pals in the media will give him a more than fair wind, much more so than Sunak, for example.

If Johnson becomes PM again it all goes back up in the air.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The big worry for me is that if BJ gets back in, the certainty that Labour win the next election suddenly becomes merely a likelihood.

I live among the English, I have a Tory MP. I would not underestimate the willingness of their insane electorate to vote the Tories with Johnson back in as 'he got Brexit done and he tells it like it is they all lie anyway Starmer is boring'.

There's already a gathering narrative that partygate etc is old news. Nobody is fussed about that anymore, a lot of folk think covid was a joke anyway, and Johnson's pals in the media will give him a more than fair wind, much more so than Sunak, for example.

If Johnson becomes PM again it all goes back up in the air.

Does Boris not still have some things coming up in terms of how he acted during covid etc, nothing will change if he comes in. He will just lurch from one crisis to another like it was before

Edited by BigDoddyKane

17 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Does Boris not still have some things coming up in terms of how he acted during covid etc, nothing will change if he comes in. He will just lurch from one crisis to another like it was before

I don't doubt that nothing will change.

But the news agenda could save him. I'm not sure where you live, but a very common feeling where I live (East Midlands) is that Boris was hard done by, covid wasn't that big a deal, he shouldn't have been chucked out, he was stabbed in the back. People genuinely like him.

Covid is old news now. The economic crisis and the war is the big thing. Johnson can play that role. He's an actor.

With a gentle massaging of the news agenda, very easily done, it is not hard to see a situation where he's rehabilitated. The English electorate is always ready to vote Tory, and BJ is an excuse for people for whom the likes of Truss are a step too far to go back and do so again.

They're genuinely insane.

Edited by VincentGuerin