St Mirren vs Dundee United

Yeah, not buying into this 'not celebrating in case VAR chalks it off'.

I leaned forward to my old man today whilst celebrating and said VAR would look at that, difference is though that I genuinely thought it would stand. It was never a foul but there was an obvious incident of some sort preceding the goal.

The goal that was ultimately the winner, I celebrated like mad as it was plain and obvious there was no VAR infringement to look at.

Guess it's the same thing that I instinctively glance at both the linesman and ref whilst celebrating every time we score. Always have.

What a day to book hospitality. at the dinkydome for the first time in three years. Magnificent day out… having said that, VAR might see me chuck watching fitba’. Cheered like a lunatic, then in stepped VAR. When Greive scored, was the first thing I did cheer like a lunatic? No. First thing I did was look to see if VAR would rule it out - then cheered.
 This isn’t how it’s meant to be, Fcuk VAR. i might genuinely chuck it in next season. 
Agree Poz...when our winning goal went in I didn't celebrate but looked at the ref to double check it was actually given......f**k var!!

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

A wee bit disappointed.

If we score next it will be 1-1 but if St Mirren the Maureens score next it will be 2-0.

'If St Mirren, who are currently 1-0 up at the time of writing, score next the score will then be 2-0. 

If Dundee United score while it's 1-0 St Mirren, the score becomes 1-1'

Congratulations for posting one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. 

I'm not a fan of VAR by any means, but I think (hope at least...) that what happened with Ayunga's goal isn't really a fair reflection on how it's going to be. It's definitely not the way it's supposed to be used and it seemed a bit like everyone was desperate to use the new toy. 

I've been to loads of Scotland games now where there has been VAR and can honestly say in the majority I've barely even noticed it.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm not a fan of VAR by any means, but I think (hope at least...) that what happened with Ayunga's goal isn't really a fair reflection on how it's going to be. It's definitely not the way it's supposed to be used and it seemed a bit like everyone was desperate to use the new toy. 

I've been to loads of Scotland games now where there has been VAR and can honestly say in the majority I've barely even noticed it.

I think the phrase ‘clear and obvious error’ needs to be drummed in to both the on field referee and whoever is the VAR official. If you need to spend more than 15 seconds looking at an incident from multiple different angles then it’s not a clear and obvious error. Baccus’ foul certainly wasn’t clear and obvious, and there was a couple of examples in the Hearts Celtic game where the referee was standing with his hand to his ear for over a minute before waving play on. 

If experienced officials can’t give a decision one way or another after a maximum of 3 slow motion replays just cut it there and tell the referee that he hasn’t made a clear and obvious error and to get on with the game. 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think the phrase ‘clear and obvious error’ needs to be drummed in to both the on field referee and whoever is the VAR official. If you need to spend more than 15 seconds looking at an incident from multiple different angles then it’s not a clear and obvious error. Baccus’ foul certainly wasn’t clear and obvious, and there was a couple of examples in the Hearts Celtic game where the referee was standing with his hand to his ear for over a minute before waving play on. 

If experienced officials can’t give a decision one way or another after a maximum of 3 slow motion replays just cut it there and tell the referee that he hasn’t made a clear and obvious error and to get on with the game. 

Agreed, and to be fair, I think that's what's supposed to happen. No idea what those clowns were up to yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Couldn't agree more. Same goes for the offsides, freeze frames and drawing lines are a nonsense. Watch it again a couple of times, if it's clearly and obviously offside then change the decision. 

I do think, if the referee is called over to review something (possibly by a more experienced official) then they'll likely feel under pressure to overturn it. 

In the passage of play where Baccus brushed the Utd player I did think the ref would give a foul. Not because I felt it was a foul but because the ref was giving fouls to Utd every time a player looked at a Utd Player. It is a contact sport ffs. 

Baccus had no idea who was behind him and was not seeking an advantage. There was several passages of play before Ayunga scored. 

Refs need to get this sorted. Without VAR it was a goal all day long. 

13 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Couldn't agree more. Same goes for the offsides, freeze frames and drawing lines are a nonsense. Watch it again a couple of times, if it's clearly and obviously offside then change the decision. 

I do think, if the referee is called over to review something (possibly by a more experienced official) then they'll likely feel under pressure to overturn it. 

I’m hopeful that the officials were being extra cautious this weekend to avoid a VAR controversy, but I’m not sure they have managed it. The Baccus decision is ridiculous, and I’m absolutely certain it’s not the kind of thing VAR was brought in for. The first Hearts penalty was another situation that dragged on for far too long, when it should have been given by the referee instantly and looked at in the background by VAR.

I really hope the officials aren’t going to start getting themselves into the situation where they know VAR is going to intervene for stonewall penalties, so allow play to continue and fall back on VAR like Nick Walsh did today. 

On 19/10/2022 at 10:05, Ric said:

Final score? 3-1 Saints.

Nice to see I predicted the 'correct' score.

Dundee United are a rotten team, it's going to be fun watching them crash and burn then blame Fox for it.

Nice to see I predicted the 'correct' score.
Dundee United are a rotten team, it's going to be fun watching them crash and burn then blame Fox for it.
Trust me, on a list of culpability for where Dundee United currently are, Liam Fox is a long way from being top of that list.

7 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

We’re 1 game into the VAR era and already it should be lobbed into the fucking sea.

Regardless of whether that was disallowed for us or United, it’s a disgrace.

VAR is an utter farce. 

I have the opposite opinion.

On the day of VAR we got two Hibs players known as cheats, being caught on camera doing so, a penalty given against the OF when the referee had just waved it away, a penalty retaken because of encroachment which was really clear (which again, went against the OF).

The only one I think they got wrong was the Baccus one, and I think as a test case, it's almost good that it happened because it's now clear that it was using VAR "incorrectly", and I very much doubt similar calls will be made. Yes it was against us, yes it could have cost us the game, but honestly this sort of teething issues were to be expected.

Other complaints about VAR seem to be the officials being reluctant to call out a foul, especially those on the line in regard to offside. I presume this is some FIFA directive that they cannot flag too early but it's a bit of a mess and not really related to VAR.

4 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Trust me, on a list of culpability for where Dundee United currently are, Liam Fox is a long way from being top of that list.

Ach... just throwing shade because I can... ;)

You've got a weird side, it's almost like the sum of your parts is considerably less than the individuals. In defence, midfield and attack you have capable players, yet as a team it's not working.

42 minutes ago, Ric said:

Ach... just throwing shade because I can... ;)

You've got a weird side, it's almost like the sum of your parts is considerably less than the individuals. In defence, midfield and attack you have capable players, yet as a team it's not working.

We are lacking in a couple of key positions (defensive midfield, goalkeeper) and we really suffer for it. Watt is good when he can be bothered, which isn't all that often. Edwards and Levitt have largely been poor, Behich is decent going forward but cannot defend, and Mulgrew was great for the first half of last season but has been pretty underwhelming since then. It remains to be seen how good the manager actually is, but I worry about where we are going to end up, I'm getting strong 2015/16 vibes from this bunch. The stench of that 9-0 defeat remains, and I haven't forgotten or forgiven the players who simply chucked it that day and I don't feel I can offer them my support. I'm fucked if I am spending my time and money on a group of players who don't give a shit. Add in the f**k up over Lewis Neilson (and whoever was responsible for that is still at the club - I know if I cost my employer that amount of money due to an admin error I wouldn't have a job any more), and I am just scunnered with events on and off the pitch. I can live with being crap, but this is beyond that.

9 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We are lacking in a couple of key positions (defensive midfield, goalkeeper) and we really suffer for it. Watt is good when he can be bothered, which isn't all that often. Edwards and Levitt have largely been poor, Behich is decent going forward but cannot defend, and Mulgrew was great for the first half of last season but has been pretty underwhelming since then. It remains to be seen how good the manager actually is, but I worry about where we are going to end up, I'm getting strong 2015/16 vibes from this bunch. The stench of that 9-0 defeat remains, and I haven't forgotten or forgiven the players who simply chucked it that day and I don't feel I can offer them my support. I'm fucked if I am spending my time and money on a group of players who don't give a shit. Add in the f**k up over Lewis Neilson (and whoever was responsible for that is still at the club - I know if I cost my employer that amount of money due to an admin error I wouldn't have a job any more), and I am just scunnered with events on and off the pitch. I can live with being crap, but this is beyond that.

Yeah, from the outside looking in it seems like you need a real clear out in January and almost a new team brought in. Some of those guys will go to other teams and look good, but they aren't going to do it at United. I've seen plenty of St Mirren teams just like that and it's fucking rotten as a fan when you see players phoning it in like that.

In saying that, I wouldn't say all is lost, especially if they can keep in touch untill January.

26 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, from the outside looking in it seems like you need a real clear out in January and almost a new team brought in. Some of those guys will go to other teams and look good, but they aren't going to do it at United. I've seen plenty of St Mirren teams just like that and it's fucking rotten as a fan when you see players phoning it in like that.

In saying that, I wouldn't say all is lost, especially if they can keep in touch untill January.

There's a lot of dreck in this league, which may be the thing that saves us. Or we might end up in a playoff against Dundee, which would be delightful.

How long do fellow St Mirren fans think we keep Strain and Baccus at the club for? We seem to have landed on a couple of gems and as we all know it doesn’t take crazy amounts of money to prize them away. I hope I’m wrong but I would be surprised if either of them are at the club come the start of next season.