St Mirren vs Dundee United

16 hours ago, FTOF said:

Olusanya broke his toe at the beginning of September.

At the time Robinson said it was a bad break and that he would be out for at least a couple of months.

If you look at his history he's not scored a lot and constantly shifts teams, which suggests he does well on a trial then fades badly. No idea if that is the case, we'll just need to see. We saw with Motherwell Robinson had quite a high turnover with a so-so success rate. I'm happy to "write off" Olusanya if only because we've won a watch with Ayunga, but as I said in the other post I hope the lad at least gets a good shake of the stick just to see where he actually is.

16 hours ago, GAD said:

...but Erhahon, O'Hara and Baccus deserve to start.

They absolutely do. It was a bit of a gamble, albeit one that Robinson was a little pushed into, putting his faith into Erhahon but you have to say it's worked. A lot of people said last season, "next season is really going to be make or break for Erhahon" and I thought they might have been over playing it a little, but looking at it now it seems that analysis was spot on. Considering the grief he's got over the years (obvs including the ill-fated LB role) it's genuinely nice to see him not only get constant game time but to look happy on the pitch while doing so.

6 hours ago, Torfason said:

Dunne doesn’t seem to do average games, he’s either brilliant or brutal.

For me, Dunne is good when he doesn't need to make a decision. A little bit like Efe Ambrose in that manner. If they concentrate on keeping it simple and not elaborate, then they are a solid and reliable choice, give them a choice or decision to make and things can become difficult quickly.

I think Shaughnessy is the better defender, and Gogic may be too we just haven't seen enough of him in defence to confirm that, but Dunne offers a level of balance with being left footed and he's lucky he's got a bit of pace that saves him when situations don't quite go his way.

Edited by Ric

Just to add to the Dunne debate, I actually think 95% of the time he's really solid. Good tackler, fine in the air. I just think when he does make a mistake he tends to go to pieces a bit. I think Shaughnessy is a better defender, but I think Dunne brings balance and pace to the backline. At the end of the day there isn't much in it though.

On 19/10/2022 at 18:49, elvis said:

A bit below par we were miles off it.It was the worst I've seen us play at home in the league so far will need a big big improvement to win this.

I think I've worked out who you are elvis. 

There's a guy behind me, probably about seat e50 in the west stand, who taken it in turn to slag off players. Last week "FFS Tanser" was his favourite expression. Every time we score he looks like someone has just shat in his shoe.

44 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Every time this match comes along my mind goes back to early 1977 and the 4-1 St Mirren win in the Scottish Cup. Probably the first meeting of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean as managers. 

Aye, the first competitive match, but I was at a Love Street friendly between the two at the start of that same season, during the summer. Can't recall the score, but United had a goalkeeper I didn't recognise at the time, who went on the play for lots of different clubs, Derby, Brentford, Killie, Hamilton and Dunfermline: David McKellar.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I think I've worked out who you are elvis. 

There's a guy behind me, probably about seat e50 in the west stand, who taken it in turn to slag off players. Last week "FFS Tanser" was his favourite expression. Every time we score he looks like someone has just shat in his shoe.

Nope not me.

Every time this match comes along my mind goes back to early 1977 and the 4-1 St Mirren win in the Scottish Cup. Probably the first meeting of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean as managers. 
Pitch frozen solid, players in their Adidas Samba, United fans tried to take over the North Bank leading to missile throwing violence. The thing I most remember vividly was the father carrying his bloodstained young son right across the halfway line for medical attention while play continued all around them!!

44 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Look at the size of the crowd that day ...

Thanks for posting that - heard so much about that game but never seen the goals before now.

So much going on in that clip - including defenders falling over and tremendous goalie trackie bottoms. Also nice to see Frank McGarvey scoring given the recent news.

On 20/10/2022 at 03:40, Torfason said:

Dunne doesn’t seem to do average games, he’s either brilliant or brutal.

That’s exactly what I said to my pal on Saturday there. He’s either solid as a rock and pinging diagonals all over the shop, or he’s slashing at clearances and sailing the ball in to the stand. I still think he’s a good player for us to have at this level but I rate Shaugnessy as a more consistent performer, although he had the odd blunder in his locker as well. 

Just now, Dirty Sanchez said:

Honourable mention for the cup tie when Campbell Money was knocked unconscious by a Paul Sturrock challenge, and Billy Abercomby later provoked Sturrock into losing the plot and getting sent off by pulling his ear or some such shenanigans.😃

From 10 yards away?