St Mirren vs Dundee United

* No thread already? If there is, mods please roll it in. *

On the extremes of the scale, United's huckling of Aberdeen must be considered an outlier, however it shows United can, when they want, put in a performance. It's pretty obvious to most, though, that "when they want" is not a regular thing. United's capitulation to a stuffy Kilmarnock, who to be fair came away from Greenhill Road with a draw last Saturday, shows consistency isn't Fox's forté.

As for us? We've not put in a dreadful performance since the LC campaign, and that team is a World away from what we're seeing on the park. That said, we've had a good run and it's plateaued a little. The loss against Rangers was predictable, although not certain considering we beat Celtic the week before. The loss to St Johnstone was, however, a low point. It's not that we played dreadfully but there was little spark and while Robinson's 'defend deep and counter' strategy works if we are on form, against the farmers we looked insipid. Not terrible, just lacking. The same I suppose for the Killie game at the weekend. While the Ayrshire mob have improved from their start, we really didn't take control at any point.

Consistency, is the key. United need it as much as we do.

In terms of availability, I believe other than Olusanya, who is a long term injury*, everyone else is available. As for the team, possibly the same as last week, a 5-3-2. Main and Ayunga up front with a midfield three of Baccus, O'Hara and Erhahon. The only question remains what to do with two first team quality defenders we have. Shaughnessy showed, on his brief cameo appearance as a sub, he is still motivated and we spent quite some time and money to bring Gogic back, yet he's getting limited time on the pitch. Not complaining, Gallacher Dunne and Fraser have done well.

* I've only seen Olusanya for about 20 minutes and he was poor, he then drops out of the side completely "due to injury". These sorts of signings (lower league England) are a total gamble, and Ayunga shows they can pay off, but we'll just need to see if Olusanya is genuinely injured of just not good enough. Obvs, I hope he manages to force his way into the game at some point if only for his own pride.

I would expect Brophy and/or Greive to get some game time, and Gogic may cover for Erhahon later on in the game (especially if he gets a yellow, which he normally does!). Would be nice to see some youngsters like Henderson being given time but sadly that looks unlikely just now. The only other thing to watch is the fitness of our wingbacks, as both Strain and Tanser (the latter especially) seem to pick up knocks quite easily.

Final score? 3-1 Saints.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

On the extremes of the scale, United's huckling of Aberdeen must be considered an outlier, however it shows United can, when they want, put in a performance. It's pretty obvious to most, though, that "when they want" is not a regular thing. United's capitulation to a stuffy Kilmarnock, who to be fair came away from Greenhill Road with a draw last Saturday, shows consistency isn't Fox's forté.

As for us? We've not put in a dreadful performance since the LC campaign, and that team is a World away from what we're seeing on the park. That said, we've had a good run and it's plateaued a little. The loss against Rangers was predictable, although not certain considering we beat Celtic the week before. The loss to St Johnstone was, however, a low point. It's not that we played dreadfully but there was little spark and while Robinson's 'defend deep and counter' strategy works if we are on form, against the farmers we looked insipid. Not terrible, just lacking. The same I suppose for the Killie game at the weekend. While the Ayrshire mob have improved from their start, we really didn't take control at any point.

In terms of availability, I believe other than Olusanya, who is a long term injury*, everyone else is available. As for the team, possibly the same as last week, a 5-3-2. Main and Ayunga up front with a midfield three of Baccus, O'Hara and Erhahon. The only question remains what to do with two first team quality defenders we have. Shaughnessy showed, on his brief cameo appearance as a sub, he is still motivated and we spent quite some time and money to bring Gogic back, yet he's getting limited time on the pitch. Not complaining, Gallacher Dunne and Fraser have done well.

* I've only seen Olusanya for about 20 minutes and he was poor, he then drops out of the side completely "due to injury". These sorts of signings (lower league England) are a total gamble, and Ayunga shows they can pay off, but we'll just need to see if Olusanya is genuinely injured of just not good enough. Obvs, I hope he manages to force his way into the game at some point if only for his own pride.

I would expect Brophy and/or Greive to get some game time, and Gogic may cover for Erhahon later on in the game (especially if he gets a yellow, which he normally does!). Would be nice to see some youngsters like Henderson being given time but sadly that looks unlikely just now. The only other thing to watch is the fitness of our wingbacks, as both Strain and Tanser (the latter especially) seem to pick up knocks quite easily.

Final score? 3-1 Saints.

Good post. I guess Gogic and Shaughnessy's problem is that their rivals for first team starts are playing well. Also, in Gogic's case at least when he has had the chance he hasn't been all that great in all honesty. Think maybe he's trying a bit too hard, but Erhahon, O'Hara and Baccus deserve to start.

This is a big game for us, need a wee kick start after the Ibrox game and a bit of a below par performance at the weekend.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

Final score? 3-1 Saints.

Olusanya broke his toe at the beginning of September.

At the time Robinson said it was a bad break and that he would be out for at least a couple of months.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Good post. I guess Gogic and Shaughnessy's problem is that their rivals for first team starts are playing well. Also, in Gogic's case at least when he has had the chance he hasn't been all that great in all honesty. Think maybe he's trying a bit too hard, but Erhahon, O'Hara and Baccus deserve to start.

This is a big game for us, need a wee kick start after the Ibrox game and a bit of a below par performance at the weekend.

A bit below par we were miles off it.It was the worst I've seen us play at home in the league so far will need a big big improvement to win this.

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

A bit below par we were miles off it.It was the worst I've seen us play at home in the league so far will need a big big improvement to win this.

That 0-0 draw was the worst you've ever seen us play at home?

2 hours ago, GAD said:

If Carson hadn't spared Dunne's blushes last weekend we would be calling for him to get dropped. Id say Shaughnessy is the better defender but you can't deny Dunne at the left of the back 3 gives it so much more balance and he has the speed to cover for him own mistakes and others. Even if he is prone to some bat shit crazy moments.

Gogic needs the game time, along with Brophy. They look very rusty but they need to bide their time.

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If Carson hadn't spared Dunne's blushes last weekend we would be calling for him to get dropped. Id say Shaughnessy is the better defender but you can't deny Dunne at the left of the back 3 gives it so much more balance and he has the speed to cover for him own mistakes and others. Even if he is prone to some bat shit crazy moments.

Gogic needs the game time, along with Brophy. They look very rusty but they need to bide their time.

Dunne doesn’t seem to do average games, he’s either brilliant or brutal.

Up until very recently Gogic hadn't started a game since May and had no pre-season training. We signed him at the end of the transfer window unfit and nowhere near match fit. He was excellent last season but it will take a wee while to get him up to speed. And Olusanya's injury was well publicised - who knows what he will be like when he is fit.

Agree about Dunne. Too many mistakes recently. Caused the first decisive goal at Perth and could have cost us the game on Saturday. I would drop him so that he knows he has got to up his game and so that other players know they get a chance back into the team when performances drop. Joe deserves his chance. Same goes for Main and Ayunga. I would still start them but if they fail to hold the ball up like they did on Saturday then a sub needs to be made far earlier than 10 mins to go.

So the only change I'd make for starting is Joe back in the team. But Erhahon better impose himself more than he did against Killie where he was posted missing and Main and Ayunga had better hold the ball up better. We, for a change, have options on the bench and should use them.

Always enjoy playing Utd as I mostly see us beat them. Home win.