Hibs v St Johnstone 21/10/22

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The Ukrainian lad looks decent for Hibs. Should have kept him on. I thought Youan? was terrible when he came on.

That was his first goal for us; I don't remember him ever looking like scoring before. As for why he was pulled, I don't know LJ's thinking, but he was on a yellow card for persistent fouling, and was still fouling the opposition. I suspect Lee Johnson was trying to pre-empt a second yellow card!

53 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

there were also St Johnstone fans having to sit in the walkways on the steps. I'm not worried about whether or not it was a sell out....I just thought it was bizarre they've never sold out an edinburgh derby in 33 years

They've definitely had higher attendances at Edinburgh Derbies and OF games (the Hearts game this season had over 20,100). I think this might have been the highest number of home fans at Easter Road (in that the usual sellout games have given over at least half, and usually the whole, South Stand to away fans, rather than just 1/4 as per today

Edited by Aim Here

Also, can we address this sold out thing. Were they giving away free tickets or something and those didn't show up?

There was a very significant number of empty seats. Behind the goal opposite the Saints fans was especially noticeable. I'm not buying this "Season ticket holders can't always make it" either as were talking quite a significant amount of empty seats. Easily 500+ in that stand alone. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Also, can we address this sold out thing. Were they giving away free tickets or something and those didn't show up?

There was a very significant number of empty seats. Behind the goal opposite the Saints fans was especially noticeable. I'm not buying this "Season ticket holders can't always make it" either as were talking quite a significant amount. 

Behind the goal in the Famous Five is the family section. That's reserved for kids and the parents/guardians thereof, and is made up primarily of Season Ticket Holders who often won't show up (often the kids stay home but the parents show up, or there's family responsibilities keeping the whole group away, or they won't take their kids to derbies or OF games). I suspect that in this case the Friday night kickoff time really did mean a higher proportion of ST holders than normal couldn't make it to the match.

35 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Behind the goal in the Famous Five is the family section. That's reserved for kids and the parents/guardians thereof, and is made up primarily of Season Ticket Holders who often won't show up (often the kids stay home but the parents show up, or there's family responsibilities keeping the whole group away, or they won't take their kids to derbies or OF games). I suspect that in this case the Friday night kickoff time really did mean a higher proportion of ST holders than normal couldn't make it to the match.

The lower section of the Famous Five should be a singing section. 

3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

That was his first goal for us; I don't remember him ever looking like scoring before. As for why he was pulled, I don't know LJ's thinking, but he was on a yellow card for persistent fouling, and was still fouling the opposition. I suspect Lee Johnson was trying to pre-empt a second yellow card!

He did score a perfectly legitimate goal at Tannadice tbf.

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

They've definitely had higher attendances at Edinburgh Derbies and OF games (the Hearts game this season had over 20,100). I think this might have been the highest number of home fans at Easter Road (in that the usual sellout games have given over at least half, and usually the whole, South Stand to away fans, rather than just 1/4 as per today

This makes more sense

6 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

There was a very significant number of empty seats. Behind the goal opposite the Saints fans was especially noticeable. I'm not buying this "Season ticket holders can't always make it" either as were talking quite a significant amount of empty seats. Easily 500+ in that stand alone. 

6183A6FF-A0D7-4137-B74C-6A8D61804F0E.jpeg

This game totally changed on the red card. Hibs were strolling it against Callum fucking Davidsons 8 defenders, many out of position, pish formation and tactics. His next throw of the dice would've been throwing five forwards on, also in the wrong positions and hope we scrape a draw. So thank you Mr McGennis and of course wee Porto for your clownshoes attempts at football.

Also, sort the fucking away turnstiles out you c***s.

Having expected delays in the game earlier in the year I made sure I got there early but that wasn't possible last night and what an eye-opener into many things.

Shambolic entry system that struggled to read QR codes for many people with very little help or advice being offered to those struggling, other than from fellow fans. Zero communication or engagement from security staff but then the attitude towards them from some fans was embarrassing. Hopefully someone goes into their work next week and swears in their face. Then the Saints supporters who obviously think they are above everyone else and queuing need not apply to them. Arseholes. A mess inside as 1,000 allocated seats sold but folk sitting anywhere. It is what it is but means those coming in 20 minutes after kick-off (did they finally just open the exit door?) couldn't find seats and you have dozens of folk sitting on steps.

The one constant, as always in these situations, is the SLO doing her absolute best, when she no doubt could have been inside watching the game. What an asset to the football club.

As for the game, we were really, really poor for the majority of it. Another display of idiot football that made us easy prey for a hungry Hibernian team.

Game turned on the red for arguably the best player on the pitch and credit to Saints to taking advantage of that, whether it was the players themselves or the man setting his team out to play idiot football.

VAR was bearable. Bit of confusion at the end but maybe didn't seem that way on TV? Nervous obviously when they reviewed the Boyle dive but I suppose it's what VAR is here for.

Only a point off where we were at the winter break last year...

Edited by Radford

Stuart Cosgrove for some reason thinks that St Johnstone are going to be shafted by being the first team to have the VAR foisted on them. I think he has possibly forgotten that Hibs will be playing in the same game.

What’s cosgrove got to say about var now

Normal price at Easter Road (and elsewhere) for a game v Saints = half empty stadium
Charge a tenner and a fiver and it is a near sellout 
Hmmm....

See what your saying judging by last seasons average attendances if they dropped to a tenner a game and was full house for -18 games a season they would lose close to six million in revenue

3 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

See what your saying judging by last seasons average attendances if they dropped to a tenner a game and was full house for -18 games a season they would lose close to six million in revenue

Yep, its a similar argument to the one some Hibs fans ask about limiting Rangers and Celtic to half the south stand or whatever - while I would prefer only to give the full away end to Hearts (as we have an agreement) and not Rangers and Celtic........unfortunately it makes little sense financially unless we fill it at £33 a seat x 1500 per match.

On empty seats, its pretty simple - the North is a family stand and any evening ko sees gaps there as its too late for some kids, its also half term and a lot of people on hols (its all STs where I sit and there were 3 or 4 missing).  As with (I think) every other club, if you sell all the tickets its classed as sellout, regardless of whether people turn up or not.

On St J fans difficulties with the QR ticket scanners, I sympathise as it does happen - in the home end now and again as well, I have my ST card and on the phone just in case !!

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Porteous.

What a cock.

Dived to try & con the ref into disallowing Saints first goal instead of defending properly.

Then, out jumped by a dwarf with one knee for Saints 2nd,

VAR will sort him out 

This is exactly the problem with Porteous's cheating and theatrics. It's fine in the opposing penalty area when it's effectively a no lose gamble to win a penalty and get players booked/sent-off, but when you are a defender and decide to have the same mindset in your own penalty box you are going to cost goals when you try it and it doesn't come off. I've no issue with how he acts and find it quite entertaining but if he actually wants to develop into a good defender he'll need to start defending in these situations instead of taking the easy route out.

As you say, VAR will find him out with this stuff so he'll probably quickly learn he has to stop it.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

When the offside was confirmed by the VAR at the end, the very same thought went through my mind.

I think all of us will see decisions that some may say "wouldnt have been an XYZ before VAR" but thats life.

I didnt think it negatively impacted the match last night, yes they check each goal which takes a few secs but (imv) none of the goals were close to being chalked off - all 3 were crap defending.

Cant say anything about the one at the end (too far from my seat), except that if Tavares was offside, then clearly it wouldnt have been a pen and even pre VAR the linesman might have flagged -we had one chalked off against the DABs last week in similar circs that probably would stand this week but shit happens.

We didnt lose because of VAR, we lost because we have no cutting edge and defended like 12 year old lassies after the sending off.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Shambolic entry system that struggled to read QR codes for many people with very little help or advice being offered to those struggling, other than from fellow fans. Zero communication or engagement from security staff but then the attitude towards them from some fans was embarrassing. Hopefully someone goes into their work next week and swears in their face. Then the Saints supporters who obviously think they are above everyone else and queuing need not apply to them. Arseholes. A mess inside as 1,000 allocated seats sold but folk sitting anywhere. 

Sounds like St Mirren.