Montrose vs Pars

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

We’ve just come off a long unbeaten run,  how much more consistent could our start of the season had been? 

And yet for all that we're only 1 point clear at the top and only 3 teams have scored less than us. The injuries are starting to accumulate and so are the yellow cards. We've still to visit some tricky away grounds (Falkirk and Airdrie) and will need to go back to them as well as places like Meadowbank, Kelty and Montrose.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

And yet for all that we're only 1 point clear at the top and only 3 teams have scored less than us. The injuries are starting to accumulate and so are the yellow cards. We've still to visit some tricky away grounds (Falkirk and Airdrie) and will need to go back to them as well as places like Meadowbank, Kelty and Montrose.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

Not bothered about only being one point clear,  we’ve had a better start than everyone else, if we are one point clear after 36 then we’ve had a great season.

Injuries, suspensions, tricky opponents… All true,  but true for all the other teams as well.

11 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye rubbish game and hinged on the subs - Hamilton coming off meant Todd dropping back which nullified his threat, whereas Montrose's subs complimented their line up and helped more them up the park. Poorest I've seen the back five for a while, Chalmers was back to his worst and really only Todd and Mehmet can come out of the game with credit (Mochrie too but I still think he flatters to deceive and should do a lot more with his final ball/strike). Need to pick things up next week before the Kincadine Bridge Derby.

I realise that most Pars fans would have been expecting the big team to come and piss all over wee Montrose, but just because you didn't doesn't make it a "rubbish game". Dunfermline were decent for the second half up until Montrose scored their first goal, but then Montrose took total control until the end. I found it a very entertaining match.

Good away support for the Pars yesterday hope you all had a good time in the local boozers even though the score didn't go your way.

Was in the legion and a few Ned's came in younger lads just pissed up and singing "Montrose is a shite hole a wanna go home"never got a reaction and they soon left,Stone island daft the lot of them.... Wouldn't want to mess with them🤗🤗🤗🤗

Credit to Montrose. They played well yesterday and thoroughly deserved their win. The move for the first goal was really good and they could have scored more. Yes, we missed chances too. 2-0 maybe did flatter Montrose, but they did deserve the win and created more chances than I think anyone else has (except maybe Falkirk?) against us this season. Don’t want to be disrespectful and focus on the negatives from a Pars perspective, as you guys genuinely played well.

Having said that, I did think we were poor. Don’t know if it was tiredness, due to the midweek game and having such a small squad.  Regardless, we lost to the better team and need to pick ourselves up and sort it out next week.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I realise that most Pars fans would have been expecting the big team to come and piss all over wee Montrose, but just because you didn't doesn't make it a "rubbish game". Dunfermline were decent for the second half up until Montrose scored their first goal, but then Montrose took total control until the end. I found it a very entertaining match.

Don't think one Pars fan thought that to be honest.

2 minutes ago, parslad said:

Don't think one Pars fan thought that to be honest.

The ones sitting near me certainly did.

"Get intae this shite"

"We're better than this mob Pars"

Etc, etc...

Edited by kingjoey

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The ones sitting near me certainly did.

"Get intae this shite"

"We're better than this mob Pars"

Etc, etc...

So far over the course of the season we have been better though, given we are top and they are in third, and that we beat them at East End.

Unsure why you're trying to go with the arrogance angle, but it's odd and not true. A quick read through this thread for example shows plenty of Pars fans fearing a defeat before the game.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

So far over the course of the season we have been better though, given we are top and they are in third, and that we beat them at East End.

Unsure why you're trying to go with the arrogance angle, but it's odd and not true.

There was a definite arrogance among your support, maybe not where you were in the ground and certainly not from everyone, but more than a few weren't keen on being given a beating by Montrose.

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

There was a definite arrogance among your support, maybe not where you were in the ground and certainly not from everyone, but more than a few weren't keen on being given a beating by Montrose.

Hmm.

Having seen us be beaten by a large number of teams over the last couple of decades from all over Scotland, I can confirm I’m not keen on getting a beating off anyone.

i also think no matter who you play,  in Scotland, you will hear “get intae this shite”.  If that demonstrates in your mind “arrogance” then you really need to get out more.

Almost every pars fan I know thought yesterday would be a really tough game, and most of us would have been content getting a draw.  

Every team has their fanny element in their support…

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

So despite the vast majority of people on here, Facebook, the other two Pars forums, in the pubs before the game and the fans at the game thinking it was going to be a tough game, with many fearing defeat, you somehow managed to be surrounded by arrogant Pars fans and as such most of the entire Pars support as a whole was arrogant yesterday and got a comeuppance?

For some unknown, bizarre reason you're desperate to push a narrative that doesn't exist.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

So despite the vast majority of people on here, Facebook, the other two Pars forums, in the pubs before the game and the fans at the game thinking it was going to be a tough game, with many fearing defeat, you somehow managed to be surrounded by arrogant Pars fans and as such most of the entire Pars support as a whole was arrogant yesterday and got a comeuppance?

For some unknown, bizarre reason you're desperate to push a narrative that doesn't exist.

It certainly has existed from some Falkirk fans since they first visited the "Seaside League". I think it's understandable King Joey tars Pars fans with the same brush, even if it is less of an issue with them.

We have put up with the "how low have we sunk, losing to the likes of Montrose" nonsense for the last few years, when the reality is that Montrose have been in the playoffs, bar the season, there weren't any, every year since we were promoted.

I think Pars fans, (or at least the one I met in Laos), have more respect for a team managed by Stewart Petrie than Falkirk fans do because they recognise like we do, he is gold dust as a manager.

Edited by Brummo
unsplitting infinitive

Aye that's quite the bizarre take from the lad. I stand by my original assertion that it was a rubbish game for the most part - there were long spells where the ball was being hoofed back and forward between the centre halves and both keepers were spectators for long periods - and that is certainly nothing to do with my attitude towards any team in this division (if you check out any of my posts from the past few years you'll see ove praised many a team playing against us for playing nice football, notably Arbroath last season and Airdrie and Falkirk this, and I said that the first Montrose goal today was well worked and a nice finish).

The fact is that we've been pretty agricultural at times this season and downright stinking last season and so the entertainment factor at Pars games regardless of opponent has been low for quite some while. The agprementioned Falkirk game was the best for ages and that was more due to their approach than ours, certainly in the first half. Ideally of course I'd like us to won every game while playing good football but if we lose I'd rather we did more than boot it long and hope for a flick on, and it was only really on the few occasions Mochrie got space that we didn't resort to the direct style McPake seems to favour.

Finally on this point, it was bizarre hearing another Angus team singing the "no-one likes us, we don't care" song. Like Arbroath last season who sung it when they were most people's second favorite team, I have no beef whatsoever with Montrose and the fact that Petrie is the manager and has done such a fantastic job means I hope you get the second promotion spot as long as we get the first. With teams like Airdrie, Falkirk and Edinburgh City (oops, sorry, FC Edinburgh) in the division, surely no Montrose fan thinks they are amongst the most disliked teams around?

Tl;dr - Montrose are all right, I wasn't expecting an easy game and the game IMO wasn't an entertaining one.

2 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

I guess, like many other clubs, the “no one likes us, we don’t care” song has been around for years and will continue to be sung regardless of how many opposing fans may have a soft spot for said clubs 

Firstly about the 'arrogance' stuff - the Pars fans are fine with me and generally most fans in L1 are as well. The worst fans are in L2 which thankfully we've left behind.

The first half was 50/50 I thought and I was pleased to get to half time level. The Pars started the second half with a lot more determination in a game where the first goal was always likely to be a decider or a factor in getting a point at least. As a Mo fan obviously I'm pleased we won but I did think the Pars were very predicable and as it turned out they did not have a Plan B so the best hope for them was a wonder strike or an error by the Mo defence or keeper.

Montrose are fairly preditable as well and play to their strengths which is not pretty at times but it does pay off when the defence does what matters and simply 'gets it up the park' away from danger. That strategy is good in games like yesterday because when the ball is 'down the park' if a mistake happens you might well score a goal at the other end - and that's what Montrose did, twice.

Getting back to a Plan B, the Pars only had Tordorov as an option (and he did the trick at EEP last time) but Montrose had more options to change it around and that paid off. Also, and sorry to bring it up but the Mo were a bit under strength on the day as we have been for most games this season for various reason - Rory McAllister was out today for example, Graham Webster was back as a sub after a long absence, Aidan Quinn also as sub after a long absence, Terry Masson is still out with injury, Matty Allan, Mark Whatley, Craig Brown and Matty Wright all could have been in the starting line-up but the point is more than just that - it means Montrose have a depth in their squad which can cope with problems. Not sure if the Pars have the same but I hope so as they are more than a League 1 side. Stewart Petrie gets a lot of mention rightly so but he also has great back up with Ross Campbell as assistant and a great coaching set-up as well at all levels - and a good Board Room as well at Links Park.

On 22/10/2022 at 16:20, Salvo Montalbano said:

Good goal to be fair. Not sure it warranted the South American style gooooooooooooooooool but aye, nice football and a lovely finish. Amazing how making positive subs can affect a game.

If it's the same guy as when I was there for our defeat, you ain't heard nothin yet. Thanks for just staying 10 points ahead.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye that's quite the bizarre take from the lad. I stand by my original assertion that it was a rubbish game for the most part - there were long spells where the ball was being hoofed back and forward between the centre halves and both keepers were spectators for long periods - and that is certainly nothing to do with my attitude towards any team in this division (if you check out any of my posts from the past few years you'll see ove praised many a team playing against us for playing nice football, notably Arbroath last season and Airdrie and Falkirk this, and I said that the first Montrose goal today was well worked and a nice finish).

The fact is that we've been pretty agricultural at times this season and downright stinking last season and so the entertainment factor at Pars games regardless of opponent has been low for quite some while. The agprementioned Falkirk game was the best for ages and that was more due to their approach than ours, certainly in the first half. Ideally of course I'd like us to won every game while playing good football but if we lose I'd rather we did more than boot it long and hope for a flick on, and it was only really on the few occasions Mochrie got space that we didn't resort to the direct style McPake seems to favour.

Tl;dr - Montrose are all right, I wasn't expecting an easy game and the game IMO wasn't an entertaining one.

I am confused by this mentality.  Yesterday was a physical battle that Montrose won and were able to put a few good passing phrases together and score their goals. Fair play.

Its in no managers requirement to try and play a particular style.  Both sides looked well organised and tried to play direct there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  No sane person gives the slightest f**k about possession stats or number of passes before scoring,  the only thing that matters is scoring more than your opponent.