Doric vs Attic: Aberdeen vs Hearts Sunday 2022-10-16

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It does look like being one of those threads

Maybe we should find something happier to discuss

Who do you reckon is the best player to have played for both Heart and Aberdeen?

It's a one way street though,hearts captains eddie Thompson and Scott severin have both improved themselves by moving north.

In all honesty in over 50 years following  the Don's hearts have never signed a player we wanted to keep 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Of course you're right, it is fairly uncommon in recent times at any rate. The earliest two I remember are Ernie Winchester (Aberdeen to Hearts) and Eddie Thomson (Hearts to Aberdeen) late sixties/early seventies.  There's probably a lot more at that time. 

Winchester moved to the states and then back to Scotland so that wasn’t a direct switch. 

He was the Gary Mackay Steven of the 60s

in the same way that the Beatles were the oasis of the ‘60s

So "in my time"  - it's surely between Hartley and Severin in terms of what they brought to the club (which rules out Velicka, I think).

How about Lawrence Shankland 😉

As for Logan- I thought it was all a bit grubby, he was clearly forced out of the club to make way for Brown as they did not get on.

23 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

With Hearts left reeling after a heavy defeat in Florence and Aberdeen coming off a similar margin in Dundee the feel good factor is going to be in short supply on either side

Hearts will be without Nathaniel Atkinson (ankle), Beni Baningime(Cruciate Ligament), Liam Boyce(Cruciate Ligament), Cammy Devlin (suspended), Craig Halkett(Hamstring) &  Kye Rowles(Metatarsal) as well as possibly Josh Ginnelly, Michael Smith and/or  Gary Mackay Stevens

Aberdeen are missing Callum Roberts

So the hosts have to fancy their chances on this one

To be honest if Hearts can get three points at Pittodrie under these circumstances the SPFL may as well hand us third place now

It’s taking a bit of getting used to, seeing our injury list without Michael Devlin on it.

13 hours ago, Dubford don said:

It's a one way street though,hearts captains eddie Thompson and Scott severin have both improved themselves by moving north.

In all honesty in over 50 years following  the Don's hearts have never signed a player we wanted to keep 

Norrie Davidson, scored the winner in a league cup final for Hearts. That was over 60 years ago though. I used to work with his nephew, very nice bloke. 

I would say the journey from hearts to Aberdeen or vice versa is similar to how an actor starts up at eastenders and winds up back in like hollyoaks or something. 

Makes a name for themselves as a bit of fan favourite at their level before trying their hand at doing acting seriously and often failing, only to be offered an opportunity to return to a level where they were once reputable. Except this time they’re just that bloke that used to be on eastenders. 

Edited by Dons_1988

3 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

Norrie Davidson, scored the winner in a league cup final for Hearts. That was over 60 years ago though. I used to work with his nephew, very nice bloke. 

Was 1963,I met him in the Silver Wing about 20 years ago after a midweek league cup match at Tynecastle.Didn't know who he was but after a long chat realised who he was.Had a few with him and he left to do his night shift cleaning the buses.

23 hours ago, starryfish said:

Three wins in 13 for Hearts or 13 defeats in the last 20, I know they’ve had injury issues but that’s woeful

It's clearly not great, but the opposition and injuries have to be considered. In the last 20 games we have played Rangers three times, Celtic away twice, Fiorentina twice, the Swiss Champs twice and Istanbul. The majority with no centre halves and missing our best midfielder and forward.

Not sure many other teams in the league would be faring significantly better. To put some balance on it, if we win tomorrow we are 3rd which is perfectly acceptable from a league point of view.

Best player to have played for both - as mentioned by a few posters already - has to be Jazzer Bett, a bloody ace player for the Dons.  Although I suppose his season at Hearts was very much at the end of his career.  If it's players that have had a similar impact at both clubs, then Severin spent roughly the same amount of time at Tynecastle that he did at Pittodrie.  

Fine day for it up here.  2-1 the Dandies IMHO.