First quarter review

The first quarter has been and gone and attention turns to the halfway point of the season. With that in mind, how have things started? Have you been surprised by how good/bad you have been? Have any of your summer signings turned out to be brilliant/terrible? Where do you think your club can finish this season?

How do you rate your team's start out of 10?

Difficult to say. Stranraer's season could be summed by 'if'. 'If' they had held out to beat Bonnyrigg Rose... 'If' they had held out to beat East Fife. Both games finished 2-2 and both games saw Stranraer lead going into injury time. However, 'if', doesn't matter. Both games ended in draws and I'm sure every club will have hard luck stories over the course of the season or times when they deserved little and took a point/three. Three wins, three draws and three defeats over the opening nine games is not terrible, particularly when many would have tipped Stranraer to be near the bottom. That said, while there have been times where Stranraer have played really well, they always look like conceding. A single clean sheet in all competitions hints at that. I think, overall, 6/10 is probably about fair.

How safe is your manager's job?

Going into the Dumbarton game there were certainly grumbles from the home fans. At that point, the record stood at one win (1-0, courtesy of a penalty against Annan on the opening day), three draws and three defeats. Since then, Jamie Hamill's team defeated the previously unbeaten Dumbarton and Albion Rovers. There is probably a decent percentage of the fans that are not won over by Hamill. I think at times the team wants to play too much football when being more effective would be the way to go. Equally, I don't imagine the budget is massive and having the club in and around the play-offs is decent. Enough rambling though, I think the committee is fairly happy with how Hamill has been doing.

Best performance?

It's got to be the Dumbarton game. As I mentioned, Dumbarton were unbeaten and looking like they were going to run away with things. Instead, Stranraer played them off the park for 45 minutes and then scored twice with just under 20 minutes remaining to seemingly wrap it up. That inability to keep a clean sheet returned and Dumbarton were level with four minutes to go and Stranraer down to 10 men. Paul Woods went up the park and scored the penalty to get a deserved three points.

Worst performance?

I was not there but Stirling away in the game before the Dumbarton match. 4-1 down at half time pretty much says enough.

Best player?

There have been a few players who can be happy with their first quarter performances. Dylan Forrest looks a decent prospect and Kyle Girvan has done not too badly at centre half. Paul Woods can disappear from games but given his goals and his willingness to get on the ball, it would likely be him. I was not a massive fan of his in his first spell but he's been a pleasant surprise since returning to the club.

Best summer signing?

With 11 players brought in, I've got plenty to choose from. I've mentioned Dylan Forrest and it would probably be him. An honourable mention to Luke Watt though. He was forgettable during a loan spell at the club years ago and the fact he had not really been a great success elsewhere did not fill me with hope. That said, he has done not too badly at right back.

Which opposition side/player has impressed you?

As mentioned, I was not at Stirling so could probably rule them out. Charlie Reilly was influential for Albion Rovers a few weeks ago and Joao Balde looked decent for East Fife. Kane Hester scored one, won the penalty and played a role in the winner for Elgin.

Where will your team finish?

I'd like to say in the play-offs and, as much as I think it is a cliche, there is little between many of the teams. A good run can really push you up the table. That said, I think Stranraer might finish just short. Fifth.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you rate your team's start out of 10?

3/10, some impressive performances early on have given way to show the lack of depth in the team, James McGowans departure seems to have been the catalyst., we do however have a decent side who have proven to be a handful and a match for every other team in the league, even if we aren't winning games

Meh, bottom of the league isn't a safe place to be and a 1-1 draw after 90 mins v Glasgow University at the weekend won't help matters

Best player?

Charlie Reilly has a tendency to act a bit like Kevin the teenager but scored 7 in his lat 11 games, not bad for a winger

Best signing?

Michael Paton has brought the experience we need,
Ayrton Sonker has brought the physicality

Best performance?

The away win v Bonnyrigg was professional against a team who were unbeaten at the time, executed the game plan perfectly and fully deserved the win

worst performance?

Home to East fife was a horrible effort resulting in a 1-0 loss

I was impressed when I surprisingly seen John Gemmell, the big man looks the fittest he has in years. Teamwise Stirling, I keep hearing about all this trouble at the club but there they are at the top of the league. I definitely think Dumbarton have the best squad though and still think they will win it

8th,

I dont think we are as bad as the current possition suggests and the league is the tightest it has been in years

How do you rate your team's start out of 10?

I'm going to go for an 8 on this one. Lots of upheaval over the start of the season behind the scenes, with major unrest for large parts of it that could have manifested itself on the pitch. Throw in an opening day disaster against Dumbarton and being 2-0 in the first 5 minutes or so. With all that has gone on behind the scenes, and many being underwhelmed by the transfer signings in the summer, what an absolute dream to be sitting top of the league and having chipped away a 13-point gap that Dumbarton held.

There were rumours that the new Club Board were looking to bring in a manager that would make headlines in the back pages of the paper, but that's not happened, and I have no idea if the rumours were true or not. What I can say is that Darren Young has done a fantastic job, building a squad that has done well so far, had us playing some fantastic football but also able to grind out results, and has the knowledge of building teams to get out of this league. I think it would be madness to change and suspect his job is safe whilst expectations are being met.

Best performance?

Take your pick, emphatic wins against Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Forfar, Stranraer and Dumbarton. If I'm pushed, then I'm going for the Dumbarton game. They were top of the league, and many predicted they were going to come to Forthbank and put us in our place and extend the lead they had over us, we totally blew them away in a 6-0 win that could have been a lot more. 

Worst performance?

We got away with it and picked up a point, but I thought we were awful at home to Elgin. For long long spells me made a very average team look good and were just so flat.

Best player?

Hard to choose. We have the best Strike partnership in the league and moving back from there we have had so many steady to good performers so far this season........however if I have to pick 1 then I would say Kai Fotheringham. He's on loan from Dundee United and looks a class above League 2. I think we'll find success easier to achieve if we can extend his loan until the end of the season and the lad looks to have an extremely bright future in the game.

Best summer signing?

Our summer signings seem to have enhanced the squad rather than being standout first choice picks, however Robert Thomson has offered so much up front and has come in and formed a deadly partnership with Dale Carrick. The big man is the striker we have been missing since Jordon White left all those years ago, and his link up play really is superb at times.

I haven't seen anything to fear so far this year, but Albion Rovers looked like they were in a false position when we drew with them at the start of September. I thought Reid had them well organised and dangerous on the counterattack and I thought we were lucky to pick up a point that day. 

I'm going to put my head above the parapet and say top 2. There's a long way to go and key to our sucess would be keeping Carrick free from injury, extending Fotheringham's loan and keeping a number of key individuals such as Currie, McLean, Clark, Leitch and Thomson on the pitch but if we can do that then as I have said above, so far, I can't see anything to be fearful of and think we can go on to win the league or push the eventual winners all the way. However I do know loss of form is likely at some point, along with injuries, if that happens for long spells, then I don't think our squad has the depth to cope and could finish top 5.

20 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

How do you rate your team's start out of 10?

I'm going to go for an 8 on this one. Lots of upheaval over the start of the season behind the scenes, with major unrest for large parts of it that could have manifested itself on the pitch. Throw in an opening day disaster against Dumbarton and being 2-0 in the first 5 minutes or so. With all that has gone on behind the scenes, and many being underwhelmed by the transfer signings in the summer, what an absolute dream to be sitting top of the league and having chipped away a 13-point gap that Dumbarton held.

There were rumours that the new Club Board were looking to bring in a manager that would make headlines in the back pages of the paper, but that's not happened, and I have no idea if the rumours were true or not. What I can say is that Darren Young has done a fantastic job, building a squad that has done well so far, had us playing some fantastic football but also able to grind out results, and has the knowledge of building teams to get out of this league. I think it would be madness to change and suspect his job is safe whilst expectations are being met.

Best performance?

Take your pick, emphatic wins against Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Forfar, Stranraer and Dumbarton. If I'm pushed, then I'm going for the Dumbarton game. They were top of the league, and many predicted they were going to come to Forthbank and put us in our place and extend the lead they had over us, we totally blew them away in a 6-0 win that could have been a lot more. 

Worst performance?

We got away with it and picked up a point, but I thought we were awful at home to Elgin. For long long spells me made a very average team look good and were just so flat.

Best player?

Hard to choose. We have the best Strike partnership in the league and moving back from there we have had so many steady to good performers so far this season........however if I have to pick 1 then I would say Kai Fotheringham. He's on loan from Dundee United and looks a class above League 2. I think we'll find success easier to achieve if we can extend his loan until the end of the season and the lad looks to have an extremely bright future in the game.

Best summer signing?

Our summer signings seem to have enhanced the squad rather than being standout first choice picks, however Robert Thomson has offered so much up front and has come in and formed a deadly partnership with Dale Carrick. The big man is the striker we have been missing since Jordon White left all those years ago, and his link up play really is superb at times.

I haven't seen anything to fear so far this year, but Albion Rovers looked like they were in a false position when we drew with them at the start of September. I thought Reid had them well organised and dangerous on the counterattack and I thought we were lucky to pick up a point that day. 

I'm going to put my head above the parapet and say top 2. There's a long way to go and key to our sucess would be keeping Carrick free from injury, extending Fotheringham's loan and keeping a number of key individuals such as Currie, McLean, Clark, Leitch and Thomson on the pitch but if we can do that then as I have said above, so far, I can't see anything to be fearful of and think we can go on to win the league or push the eventual winners all the way. However I do know loss of form is likely at some point, along with injuries, if that happens for long spells, then I don't think our squad has the depth to cope and could finish top 5.

I would agree with that, but would add that the goals have been coming from all over the squad. That might get us through the odd injury or suspension or it might not.  After last season's dire collapse it's hard to get overly confident.