Scotland Refuseniks

Gordopolis

Had the idea to start this thread months ago and kept getting sidetracked. Anyway, finally got round to putting together this wee table of players who have refused international selection for one reason or another. These are just the names that came to mind initially. I'm certain there are others, so please post suggestions.

Also, any other fields I could add to the table?

^^^tried pasting the table into the post so it was a bit bigger and easier to read, but on mobile it didn't render as a table, hence screenshot as an alternative.

1.png

Edited by Gordopolis

Andy Goram (1) and Andy Goram (2) is *chefs kiss*

Not sure if it counts as he still travelled to play in the San Marino game a few days later but Ryan Fraser refused to be selected for Kazakhstan because they played on an artificial surface. He did later play for Scotland on an artificial surface away to the Faroe Islands.

Edit - It was readable before the edit to put up a screenshot, now it's tiny even when zoomed in.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

28 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Andy Goram (1) and Andy Goram (2) is *chefs kiss*

Not sure if it counts as he still travelled to play in the San Marino game a few days later but Ryan Fraser refused to be selected for Kazakhstan because they played on an artificial surface. He did later play for Scotland on an artificial surface away to the Faroe Islands.

Edit - It was readable before the edit to put up a screenshot, now it's tiny even when zoomed in.

Yep, I'm having a mare. F*cking hate technology.

Any better now?

Edited by Gordopolis

Had no idea about the David Robertson one or Dominic Matteo.

Robertson seems mad as it's not as if there weren't a few other good options there.

I think the whole Ryan Fraser thing got blown out of proportion, being spotted training with Newcastle doesn't mean he was in a position to play, happy to be corrected on that.

That last is also very Rangers heavy!

There are definitely recent ones that just weren't made public. Hanley, Marshall (pre-Clarke), Tierney, Mulgrew and Steven Fletcher have all either had suspicious absences iirc or have just slinked off without any fanfare.

Had no idea about the David Robertson one or Dominic Matteo.

Robertson seems mad as it's not as if there weren't a few other good options there.

I think the whole Ryan Fraser thing got blown out of proportion, being spotted training with Newcastle doesn't mean he was in a position to play, happy to be corrected on that.

Yeah the Ryan Fraser one is quite tenuous. Not like he was throwing in the towel with Scotland. Just lazily dodging a game more likely.

And yes the rangers heavy thing almost stopped me from posting the list in case people thought I was having a dig. Them's the facts tho!

There are definitely recent ones that just weren't made public. Hanley, Marshall (pre-Clarke), Tierney, Mulgrew and Steven Fletcher have all either had suspicious absences iirc or have just slinked off without any fanfare.
Snodgrass too I suppose

And Tom Cairney was a weird one too

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Snodgrass too I suppose

Yeah I think keeping it official is best as including these guys would just make it messy. 

Not sure if it counts as refusing selection, but James McArthur retired in 2018 citing back problems. He was one of our better players in a pretty miserable period and even until very recently I think he'd have added value to the squad. He'd have been a far better option in central midfield than Stuart Armstrong was against the Czech Republic in the Euros for example.

Also in 2018 it seemed about 95% of the squad pulled out of those Mexico/Peru friendlies. Can't blame them.

Could be my memory here, but did Goram not pull out of the France 98 squad because the papers were going to town about him having paramilitary links?

Anyone who pulls out of a tournament because they're not the first choice is out of their mind or stuffed up their own arse. Putting aside being a team player, the guy ahead of you in line could be injured, or have an absolute shiter in the first game and be dropped. Madness.

Also, you wonder how many of these phantom call-offs come about on the order of the employer, rather than the player themselves. Was it Alan Brazil or Andy Gray who supposedly withdrew from the World Cup 78 squad because their manager told them to?

1 hour ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

He was then left out by Clarke for multiple squads, and the manager made some fairly pointed comments about it, so I think we can safely say he was indeed at it.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

The hallmark of the McLeish mk II era.

I'm not sure that can be applied to Mulgrew, he seems to have played fairly regularly through his career right up until the pumpings from Belgium and Russia, at which point we lost a year of international games to covid and he was 34 by the time it was done. Maybe I'm missing something.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Had the idea to start this thread months ago and kept getting sidetracked. Anyway, finally got round to putting together this wee table of players who have refused international selection for one reason or another. These are just the names that came to mind initially. I'm certain there are others, so please post suggestions.

Also, any other fields I could add to the table?

^^^tried pasting the table into the post so it was a bit bigger and easier to read, but on mobile it didn't render as a table, hence screenshot as alternative.

1.png

Angus Gunn🤷‍♂️ There must be a fair few more if you look at it from the duel nationality angle

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure that can be applied to Mulgrew, he seems to have played fairly regularly through his career right up until the pumpings from Belgium and Russia, at which point we lost a year of international games to covid and he was 34 by the time it was done. Maybe I'm missing something.

I had it in my head that he pulled out of the Kazakhstan/San Marino double header before playing for his club before Kazakhstan, but that actually seems to be wrong going by Transfermarkt. Steven Fletcher did play in one of those games, though, and wasn't in the squad so that might have been who I got him mixed up with. 

1 )  deposed Dalgleish , confirmed by David Speedie on BBC t.v. OTB.

2 ) M*J*   **** took the huff because AR / CB tried out his back up strikers against San Marino

3 )  Mark McGhee , allegedly , after being " dropped " after scoring against England.

4 ) going back in time Ian St. John ( per his book )

5 ) Anyone know anything about Ron Years allegedly criticising Jock Stein after we lost to Italy 1965/66 ?

Are we counting players invited to play for Scotland but decided not to due to allegiance to other countries, whether good enough (e.g., James McCarthy ROI) or not (e.g., Harvey Barnes England)? 
Good question, think Bing was saying the same thing too.

In my head it was just players who had begun their international career with us but curtailed it for reasons other than injury or becoming shite/losing form.

Maybe McCarthy etc could go in a "Scotland knock backs" thread?