Livingston v St Johnstone 15/10/22

4 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Who?

Leigh Griffiths winner IMO :D 

The worst ref to officiate a Livi game since Greg Aitken.

Kevin Clancy.

Aye saw that today, he's back training with us, at the very least he could help Guthrie out in scoring goals, plenty of good footballing experience to pass onto Bruce as well. Hopefully helps improve our dead ball takers at set plays too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

7 hours ago, andrewh said:

Wait until you see the reenergised and revitalised Stevie May. Having a strike partner has transformed him. (Or watch CD play one up front and ruin everything)

The transformation in May this season has been quite something. He's shown fleeting glimpses since he came back that the 2014 version of May was still in there, but this season when he plays in a partnership, he can really see it is. You can see it in his body language too. What Clark maybe doesn't bring to the team in goals, he is bringing it being that partner up front.

So watch us revert to the set up from last season and totally cock this up.

13 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

The transformation in May this season has been quite something. He's shown fleeting glimpses since he came back that the 2014 version of May was still in there, but this season when he plays in a partnership, he can really see it is. You can see it in his body language too. What Clark maybe doesn't bring to the team in goals, he is bringing it being that partner up front.

Usual caveat that I only watch May play live a maximum of 4 times a season but, for me, he's never stopped being a good player. No longer the 2014 version, not the rapid poacher he was back then, but still very useful as a hard-running support striker.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Usual caveat that I only watch May play live a maximum of 4 times a season but, for me, he's never stopped being a good player. No longer the 2014 version, not the rapid poacher he was back then, but still very useful as a hard-running support striker.

He's hit and miss. Hot and cold but that's what you come to expect from the kind of pro footballer clubs like ours have. 

He's one of those if the team are struggling and low on confidence his performance ends up being exactly that - low on confidence. If they're playing well he seems to have unlimited energy and seems to be everywhere. 

As for the game. 0-0

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He's hit and miss. Hot and cold but that's what you come to expect from the kind of pro footballer clubs like ours have. 

He's one of those if the team are struggling and low on confidence his performance ends up being exactly that - low on confidence. If they're playing well he seems to have unlimited energy and seems to be everywhere. 

As for the game. 0-0

I think he’s one of many who have been a square peg in a round hole. It’s been harder with Stevie because I love the boy to bits. 

We started this season playing the "5 centre mids" in a Christmas tree formation, using a possession-heavy build up. Mistakes when playing out from the back cost us the free kick Hibs equalised from, the corner Motherwell got their penalty from and the Fitzwater red card against Aberdeen. Those happened in three successive matches so Martindale ditched the short passing out from defence and since the Killie match we've seen Kelly, Obileye and George passing it long straight to either Guthrie or Nouble, bypassing the midfield. I thought it was the wrong approach for those games and a narrow win against Killie then a defeat against County maybe showed that. The short passing out of defence definitely cost us in the Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen games (we did still beat Hibs) but those are strong teams and two were away matches. Killie and County have been the worst teams in the league so far this season, we were at home both times, so should've gone with a more elaborate build up again as that creates you more deliberate chances. The long passing into the strikers is playing the percentage game, largely relying on opposition defensive errors, and if they don't make those errors as County didn't then you're struggling.

St Johnstone defend with a back 5 holding a low line and their 3 midfielders just in front to challenge for second balls. Their centre backs are excellent aerially. So constantly knocking it long to Guthrie is unlikely to work. St Johnstone also leave a striker up to press opposition centre backs (usually the hard working May) so Kelly and Obileye won't have all day to pick their passes as they did against County. I hope we see a change in style for this match but I think it's unlikely, especially as Omeonga's still unfit to start. Guthrie will probably be selected as much for his aerial defence at set pieces as anything. St Johnstone are very strong there so makes sense. I'd love to see Anderson start, even alongside Guthrie would be fine. Another change I want from the County game is Montano to be more involved in our attacks. I think we'll struggle to win this but a draw would be a decent result.

Keep Griffiths away from our club.
As much as I doubt he'll sign he does tick the boxes of what the fans have been moaning about in the last few weeks.

Clinical finisher [emoji736]
Willing to have a shot from distance [emoji736]
Generally very good from distance [emoji736]
Can take a penalty [emoji736]
Shooting from free kicks speaks for itself [emoji736]
Delivery from set pieces is very good [emoji736]

23 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

As much as I doubt he'll sign he does tick the boxes of what the fans have been moaning about in the last few weeks.

Clinical finisher emoji736.png
Willing to have a shot from distance emoji736.png
Generally very good from distance emoji736.png
Can take a penalty emoji736.png
Shooting from free kicks speaks for itself emoji736.png
Delivery from set pieces is very good emoji736.png

He managed roughly 1 league goal in 7 last season with the majority of those minutes in league 1. 

He might resurrect his career but I doubt it based on seeing him play for Dundee last year. Looked completely done physically, never mind mentally.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

We have a good squad hierarchy currently at centre forward where Anderson is first choice with Isma the more like for like replacement and Guthrie a target man alternative. Griffiths would bring a media circus and there'd be pressure on Martindale to play him ahead of Anderson. All it'd take would be a single goal and the "Griffiths Rejuvenated" headlines would start. It'd be a shitemare. 

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He managed roughly 1 league goal in 7 last season with the majority of those minutes in league 1. 

He might resurrect his career but I doubt it based on seeing him play for Dundee last year. Looked completely done physically, never mind mentally.

Last season he was overweight and not fit to play football, both physically and mentally. He's trained with us prev to going to Oz and got a lot leaner looking, still a gamble whether he's mentally focused on playing, but a short term contract till January isn't much of a loss for us, either does the biz and gets himself in the shop window, or bombs, gets binned, and his career is def finished. 

At the very least he'd be decent giving tips in training to our strikers, maybe showing Kelly how to take a decent free kick too.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

We have a good squad hierarchy currently at centre forward where Anderson is first choice with Isma the more like for like replacement and Guthrie a target man alternative. Griffiths would bring a media circus and there'd be pressure on Martindale to play him ahead of Anderson. All it'd take would be a single goal and the "Griffiths Rejuvenated" headlines would start. It'd be a shitemare. 

Doubt very much Martindale would be pressured or  influenced in any way by media headlines, doesn't take any shit from players either if they've got big heads and looking for special treatment, we've seen how ruthless he is when that happens. No brainer for me giving him a short term contract, specially when he's reluctant to bring Bruce back too early, fearing more problems flaring up from his ankle injury. Could be just the short term signing we're needing to get us some goals till Bruce is 100% fit. Couldn't be any worse than last seasons striker signings anyway, Chuky, Soto, and the clown that didn't even play a game, citing not being able to play on plastic (or was that the season before, can't remember now).

29 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Doubt very much Martindale would be pressured or  influenced in any way by media headlines, doesn't take any shit from players either if they've got big heads and looking for special treatment, we've seen how ruthless he is when that happens. No brainer for me giving him a short term contract, specially when he's reluctant to bring Bruce back too early, fearing more problems flaring up from his ankle injury. Could be just the short term signing we're needing to get us some goals till Bruce is 100% fit. Couldn't be any worse than last seasons striker signings anyway, Chuky, Soto, and the clown that didn't even play a game, citing not being able to play on plastic (or was that the season before, can't remember now).

You might be right. I certainly trust Martindale's decisions on player signings. Then this is all just based on Griffiths training with the team which he's done before without signing, of course, so might just be that again.

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Match threads with Livingston almost leave you longing for the dreadful patter of the Hibs or st Mirren fans.

How many tractors you bringing? You'd probs all fit into the one tractor anyway the whole 6 of you coming. 

Is that better?

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe