Queens v Peterhead

11 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Shame you missed the game. I guess your traffic problems explain why the Peterhead team bus didnt get to the ground until 2

17 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

That's really hard lines @peternapper and especially breaking that great run of away games.  I guess many of us have had a few aborted journeys over the years and missed games (I sure have), doesn't make it any easier though.

Hindsight is a great thing, but did you think of leaving the M90 at Kinross to go for the Kincardine Bridge and the M80/M74 (if the radio was warning you of problems at the Queensferry crossing)?  Incidentally, I heard that the Raith Rovers team bus had been delayed at the east end of the M8 and so the start of their game in Greenock had to be delayed - might have been the same problem?

I worked up at Peterhead in the early 80s and a lot of the time I'd drive via Edinburgh and the M90 taking the (scenic) Moffat/Broughton/Penicuik road, but granted I knew the road really well and it was usually a Sunday night when I was travelling it so the road was quiet - but it made a pleasant change from the monotony of grinding up the motorways (or the miserable A74 dual carriageway as it was back then) via Glasgow.

Just hope that the folk caught up in the accident on the M8 were OK and not seriously hurt, that's the main thing.

It’s been advertised for a week on the local radio (in Edinburgh area) that the m90 was closed so they obviously expected carnage. The only other option to avoid it would have been down through Kirkliston and back on to M8 at Newbridge. New sat nav required Peternapper. You didn’t miss much if that’s any consolation, I have just thawed back out now. 

Thanks for the commiserations for my travel woes yesterday. Have been up & down the roads heading that way plenty times. I do not listen to the radio but should have taken advice from the sat nav & cut across at Kinross. Once getting as far as the Queensferry Crossing there was no turning back it was solid traffic all the way. Had no intention of going into Edinburgh should have been M90 then onto City By-Pass which is no problem, with the Southbound M90 blocked off completely again had no option but head in & hopefully get to the point off getting across to the By-Pass but was not to be. Will have to look into the parking fine from McDonalds car park across from Meadowbank as think a lot of folk just say ignore them but with my luck just now not sure

4 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Thanks for the commiserations for my travel woes yesterday. Have been up & down the roads heading that way plenty times. I do not listen to the radio but should have taken advice from the sat nav & cut across at Kinross. Once getting as far as the Queensferry Crossing there was no turning back it was solid traffic all the way. Had no intention of going into Edinburgh should have been M90 then onto City By-Pass which is no problem, with the Southbound M90 blocked off completely again had no option but head in & hopefully get to the point off getting across to the By-Pass but was not to be. Will have to look into the parking fine from McDonalds car park across from Meadowbank as think a lot of folk just say ignore them but with my luck just now not sure

Did sat nav not try to get you to head over towards Falkirk/Kincardine bridge via the M9. Could have come off the M90 at Queensferry and hung a right to go towards Bo’ness. 

Nothing worse mate, I saw the area they were digging up as passed it going north early doors and it was about a metre squared so well worth the disruption they caused. 

19 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

eg instead of coming off the M74 at Moffat when heading to Dumfries I'll often slip off at Elvanfoot and go via the Dalveen Pass - a much more pleasant drive.  Each to their own.

Whit. You go the Dalveen Pass? By choice. 😮

I think we can also see why you go Peterhead to Dumfries via Edinburgh then! 😄

5 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Not sure if you can ignore those McDonald's parking fines or not, probably not - I've certainly been done for using shopping parks at Hamilton in the past.

On the subject of McDonald's, I popped into McDonald's in Coatbridge prior to the game at Airdrie a week or so back.  "Fast Food" - aye right, I stood for 50 mins waiting on my meal - thought I'd have to ditch it to make the game in time.  Think it was due to loads of "Just Eat" couriers picking up pre-ordered meals.  Won't try that again.

I think those private parking invoices (because thats what they are, not fines) are now legally enforceable in Scotland. Just depends how much hassle the company want to take over it and whether you have the nerve to wait to see if thry actually go legal in the face of a barrage of ever increasing 'penalty notice' letters. 

They didnt used to be enforceable in Scotland. I once got one for leaving my car all day at Stirling Services. Ignored it and they gave up after 3 letters but that was back when I knew they werent actually legally enforceable. Dont think thats the case now.

6 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Did sat nav not try to get you to head over towards Falkirk/Kincardine bridge via the M9. Could have come off the M90 at Queensferry and hung a right to go towards Bo’ness. 

Nothing worse mate, I saw the area they were digging up as passed it going north early doors and it was about a metre squared so well worth the disruption they caused. 

It did say to cut off at Kinross but often it changes route for fairly small disruptions but will maybe have to turn the TPS warnings back on the radio, normally just have music playing off a stick. Amazing how often a couple guys leaning on a shovel leads to gridlock yesterdays was the worst i have seen.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit. You go the Dalveen Pass? By choice. 😮

I think we can also see why you go Peterhead to Dumfries via Edinburgh then! 😄

Some people like to do the same relentless boring thing over and over and over and over again - not me, but then again I'll happily concede that I'm probably a bit mad.

Dalveen Pass road - Google once led me to a UK Porsche owner's club website (and no I don't own and have never owned a Porsche) and it listed their top ten "best roads to drive" in the UK ... and yes, you've guessed it ... the Dalveen Pass road was listed at No.5 out of the top ten.  It's a fabulous and often quiet road to drive (and I can also confirm that it's equally good to cycle too).

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Not sure if you can ignore those McDonald's parking fines or not, probably not - I've certainly been done for using shopping parks at Hamilton in the past.

On the subject of McDonald's, I popped into McDonald's in Coatbridge prior to the game at Airdrie a week or so back.  "Fast Food" - aye right, I stood for 50 mins waiting on my meal - thought I'd have to ditch it to make the game in time.  Think it was due to loads of "Just Eat" couriers picking up pre-ordered meals.  Won't try that again.

Cheers for the advice. Used to stop all the time at McDonalds at Forfar on my way home from games but they made the drive through bigger and as you mention seem to pay more attention to that and delivery drivers so sit in & eat customers are ignored. Did once try to contact McDonalds to complain but does not seem to be a method of contact. I now go to the Dunichen Stone across the road where you get friendly service, a good choice of grub & a pint along with your meal.

44 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Some people like to do the same relentless boring thing over and over and over and over again - not me, but then again I'll happily concede that I'm probably a bit mad.

Dalveen Pass road - Google once led me to a UK Porsche owner's club website (and no I don't own and have never owned a Porsche) and it listed their top ten "best roads to drive" in the UK ... and yes, you've guessed it ... the Dalveen Pass road was listed at No.5 out of the top ten.  It's a fabulous and often quiet road to drive (and I can also confirm that it's equally good to cycle too).

OK, if we’re having a vote on the important topic of best routes to Dumfries, I’ve always liked the Dalveen Pass, the scenery is breathtaking. Less popular with some of my passengers….

And I’ve done the Moffat road a zillion times, I like it. I once picked up a Canadian cousin at Edinburgh and took her down for her first ever visit to Dumfries. Went the Moffat road for the scenery, my cousin spent the journey with her head down, couldn’t cope with the windy roads or ups and downs.

3 points the main thing. Peterhead reminded me a lot of Brechin in the Championship. They look majorly out of their depth. To be fair to them the did defend pretty well as a unit and battled hard for each other. But when they did get the chance to go forward they looked almost lost. It could be a long hard season for them. We were hardly great either mind you. We had a lot of the ball without doing too much with it. Paton missed another great chance early doors, hitting it first time when he could have taken a touch. He needs to get his finishing up to scratch sooner rather than later.

Very flat going forward from us and personally I thought the much maligned Cochrane actually made a difference when he came on. He pressured the Peterhead players into mistakes and was getting stuck in to tackles. He was quick with his passing and we seemed to up our tempo when he came on. I'd like to know for sure but I'd wager we created more chances after he came on. Sadly it's not a regular occurrence from him but it shows he's capable of playing. Hopefully we see more of the same for him.

Todd going off injured is a big concern. I'm hopeful it's not too bad as he was able to jog a bit after it and was trying to stretch it out. I think he was even on the touchline contemplating going back on so with any luck it's just a tweek and he was rightly taken off as a precaution. His behaviour didn't suggest it was an outright hamstring pull.

I thought Peterhead were a lot better than in the first game to be fair. Until Cochrane's late clearance off the line they still didnt look like scoring right enough but they were much better. The boy Prince in midfield was good without really knowing what to do with it in the final third. We could have won by about 6 or 7 up at Peterhead, two was about right yesterday, though until the subs we were a bit lacking invention in the final third ourselves.

We werent great at Kelty but made more opportunities than we did yesterday. We scored freely at Airdrie but couldnt defend. We were outstanding against Alloa but couldnt finish. We need to find some consistency. We have the ability.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought Peterhead were a lot better than in the first game to be fair. Until Cochrane's late clearance off the line they still didnt look like scoring right enough but they were much better. The boy Prince in midfield was good without really knowing what to do with it in the final third. We could have won by about 6 or 7 up at Peterhead, two was about right yesterday, though until the subs we were a bit lacking invention in the final third ourselves.

We werent great at Kelty but made more opportunities than we did yesterday. We scored freely at Airdrie but couldnt defend. We were outstanding against Alloa but couldnt finish. We need to find some consistency. We have the ability.

Our best system with the player we have  seems to be 3-5 -2  why do we change it every week .

It looked like a 4-1-3-2  we had no width we ended up over passing it in the midfield .

Wilson is far better further forward breaking up play not sitting in front of the back 4 .

Any  manager interview this week ?

54 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

3 points the main thing. Peterhead reminded me a lot of Brechin in the Championship. They look majorly out of their depth. To be fair to them the did defend pretty well as a unit and battled hard for each other. But when they did get the chance to go forward they looked almost lost. It could be a long hard season for them. We were hardly great either mind you. We had a lot of the ball without doing too much with it. Paton missed another great chance early doors, hitting it first time when he could have taken a touch. He needs to get his finishing up to scratch sooner rather than later.

Very flat going forward from us and personally I thought the much maligned Cochrane actually made a difference when he came on. He pressured the Peterhead players into mistakes and was getting stuck in to tackles. He was quick with his passing and we seemed to up our tempo when he came on. I'd like to know for sure but I'd wager we created more chances after he came on. Sadly it's not a regular occurrence from him but it shows he's capable of playing. Hopefully we see more of the same for him.

Todd going off injured is a big concern. I'm hopeful it's not too bad as he was able to jog a bit after it and was trying to stretch it out. I think he was even on the touchline contemplating going back on so with any luck it's just a tweek and he was rightly taken off as a precaution. His behaviour didn't suggest it was an outright hamstring pull.

Agree about Cochrane, I'm not a great fan but he certainly got through a power of work when he came on and it seemed to give others a lift too, plus he had the goal-line clearance. Like a lot of our players, they can do it, it's getting them to do it consistently that's the problem. 

Have  Peterhead  got the youngest average age squad in the division, they didn't seem to have many older players on show which may be part of the reason they're struggling.