Tommy Hutchison

Hi

I have written a book with the ex Alloa and Scotland player Tommy Hutchison. It is about to be published next week.

Tommy played for Alloa for three seasons in the sixties and has some great stories to tell of his time at the Rec.

He was born in Dundonald in Fife and grew up up in a very poor mining community. His story about life in that close knit village is also a compelling one, a tribute to the way the Scottish working class looked after each other in the hardest of times.

He went on to have a long and successful career (He holds the record for the number of first class appearances made-exactly 1000) playing for Blackpool, Coventry and Manchester City in the old English First Division as well as Burnley, Swansea, Seattle Sounders, Bulova in Hong Kong before finishing at the age of 46 with non league Merthyr.

He played 17 times for Scotland including being a part of the heroic ‘74 World Cup team.

The book sells on Amazon and in bookshops for £25. Tommy and I are selling the book for £18 plus P and P.

If you would like to buy the book you can order from the link below.

Apologies if I bump this post from time to time.

Hutch' order form

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 10:51, Mr Magic said:

Hi

I have written a book with the ex Alloa and Scotland player Tommy Hutchison. It is about to be published next week.

Tommy played for Alloa for three seasons in the sixties and has some great stories to tell of his time at the Rec.

He was born in Dundonald in Fife and grew up up in a very poor mining community. His story about life in that close knit village is also a compelling one, a tribute to the way the Scottish working class looked after each other in the hardest of times.

He went on to have a long and successful career (He holds the record for the number of first class appearances made-exactly 1000) playing for Blackpool, Coventry and Manchester City in the old English First Division as well as Burnley, Swansea, Seattle Sounders, Bulova in Hong Kong before finishing at the age of 46 with non league Merthyr.

He played 17 times for Scotland including being a part of the heroic ‘74 World Cup team.

The book sells on Amazon and in bookshops for £25. Tommy and I are selling the book for £18 plus P and P.

If you would like to buy the book you can order from the link below.

Apologies if I bump this post from time to time.

Hutch' order form

Thanks

I remember watching him play for Swansea against Panathiniakos in 1989 at the Vetch field. 

On 21/10/2022 at 23:38, guinness said:

I remember watching him play for Swansea against Panathiniakos in 1989 at the Vetch field. 

I didn't see that game but I do recall watching him there around the same time.

My recollection is that the games were always tight and on came Tommy from the bench for the last quarter of an hour.

What followed was an immediate uplift in energy on and off the pitch with Tommy having the fullback at his mercy and the assist that mattered.

Super player.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 20:25, sophia said:

I didn't see that game but I do recall watching him there around the same time.

My recollection is that the games were always tight and on came Tommy from the bench for the last quarter of an hour.

What followed was an immediate uplift in energy on and off the pitch with Tommy having the fullback at his mercy and the assist that mattered.

Super player.

He was a regular at Swansea until his final two seasons there. By this time he was well into his forties.

Article published about Tommy at the ‘74 World Cup in the Scottish Daily Mail today 

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/scottish-edition/sport/239013/rod-carried-a-tv-set-up-to-the-team-hotel-for-a-bored-denis

If you would like to order a signed copy of the book mentioned in the article for £18 +P and P then please use the form below and have it delivered to your door.

Hutch' order form

Edited by Mr Magic

Rambling story time

I remember the 1981 final for him scoring both goals. About a month later I did the same in a playground kick about at junior school between first and fourth years ( I was first). I remember thinking Tommy must have been as gutted as I was until next playtime 🙂

• 1 month later...

I got this as a Christmas present from my youngest son(the first time he has bought presents with his own money from a paper round, my Mrs just said get him a football book)

I have to admit that apart from the cup final goals I didn’t know much about Tommy. Though my Dad says he saw him once playing at Alloa and sending opposing players flying with his tackles.

I have to admit that I am thoroughly enjoying it so far.