Pie & Bovril names a hamster

20 minutes ago, RH33 said:

She's about 18 months old so I assumed it was old age.

I'm only surmising as we had one years ago and it got ridiculously thin then just slept in the wee house thing constantly. Vet said wet tail although it has always confused me as to how they get it. The bedding and cage were regularly cleaned and changed and they don't come into contact with other hamsters. Who knows.

On 03/11/2022 at 14:43, RH33 said:

She's about 18 months old so I assumed it was old age.

If it's a Syrian you'd generally get 2-3 years out of them. Russian Dwarfs and Robowskis are usually 18-24 months tops.

On 03/11/2022 at 15:06, jimbaxters said:

I'm only surmising as we had one years ago and it got ridiculously thin then just slept in the wee house thing constantly. Vet said wet tail although it has always confused me as to how they get it. The bedding and cage were regularly cleaned and changed and they don't come into contact with other hamsters. Who knows.

Wet tail can result from them being distressed about something as well. Earlier this year we were looking after our pals hammy while they were on holiday, it developed wet tail and died within about 4 days. That was awkward. We reckon it was probably the car journey from theirs to ours that probably freaked it out. If caught early enough they can survive it - our old hamster got something similar and after a week of antibiotics it was absolutely fine and lasted another year. 

32 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Aye she's a Russian Dwarf.

Aye definitely at the upper end of life expectancy. Russian Dwarfs are basically utterly mental for 95% of their lives then go a bit scrawny, slow down slight and drop dead. Hamsters can also get a bit bitey when they're dying

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, runningman said:

It sounds like she's not doing too well either if she's looking scrawny. Have you taken her to the vet? It might be worth checking to see if there's anything that can be done to help her. I also noticed that you mentioned "wet tail" which can be very serious for hamsters.

tailors.jpg.3d4cf09c3bc7b666bdf2f2d72d021bdd.jpg