Queens Park v Arbroath

19 minutes ago, keptie said:

It was the Morton game, bias beyond belief.

Aye, that was the one!  Unbelievable.  

2 minutes ago, Volvic said:

Hard to complain about others being partisan when you hear the state of our commentator 

Oh god, aye.  I liked it when last season we were using Fraser Clyne paired with a co-commentator from the away club.  But to the best of my observation, our highlights seem to be pretty fair!

Derek Gaston is still an unbelievable keeper at this level. Still mind when he was at Albion Rovers years ago and he pulled off the best save I’ve ever seen live from a goal bound header from Paul Quinn I’m sure?  

Probably what Gaston was referring to in his tweet after last nights save 

25 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That Gaston save was simply superb 

b*****d has been at it against us for over a decade. Save from a Paul Quinn header at Cliftonhill probably the best I’ve ever seen in the flesh. Had a belter to stop Jack Thomson scoring the goal of the season at Gayfield as well. 

A draw was about right and it was a good one for the neutrals to watch. If we had done better in our last two games I might have been disappointed but it was good to see us trying to win again. Remarkable save by the goalie, and the replay shows clearly it was a save not just the big-shape thing, and it matched the move of the game. Terrific breakaway and a superb pass from Thomas and Murray’s best effort. Had it gone in it would have been a runner for the SPFL goal of the season.

I love the highlights. Time to see the little things that are missed live. Like Jarrett’s superb strike for the goal having the added bonus of a nutmeg. And Alex Bannon’s woeful error. Except it wasn’t. Once again, Stephen Eze gets involved unnecessarily and causes a goal to be lost. Bannon had possession and it was a 2v2. Eze should have moved away offering to allow Bannon a pass option and also being aware of the second player. Instead by following the player about to tackle Bannon he changed a 2v2 into a 2v1 leaving the eventual scorer on his own with a clear run at goal. Eze had a better game at the simple stuff like headers and tackles but until the coaches stop him making these positional gaffes he’s worth a goal a game to our opponents.

Arbroath will be fine. Big improvement from the Gayfield game. Ball possession good and team spirit looks high. If Hilson’s legs were an inch longer you might have won.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Just watched the highlights. Looked like a good, competitive game with decent chances for both teams so a draw seems fair.

How Beaton never saw that penalty is a mystery, absolute stonewaller right in front of him. The QP goal looked like it could have been offside but hard to tell from that angle and the speed of attack. Oakley looked caught out a couple of times, a bit like the Cove game. That Gaston save was ridiculous.

Very happy with a draw and, importantly, we seem to be creating more chances and playing with a bit more spark. Hilson is almost like a new signing, hope he keeps it up.

Three home games in a row coming up so a good opportunity to pick up some wins and move up the table.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe I’m getting DT mixed up with someone else it was hard to tell. Everything just seemed to be going through the 27 I didn’t actually realise it was him who scored until I watched the highlights there

We have been much better in recent weeks Cove aside and have actually been enjoyable to watch in spells but the lack of a striker with a presence who can score a goal is obviously a big problem, Hilson was decent again last night and his work rate got us our goal.

Bitsindou man of the match last week and was a bit ropey but having a physical presence in there is very important for us because we have been very lightweight. Also missing Scotty Stewart and Michael McKenna from that team last night who have been our top performers over the years plus Scotty Allan who still isn’t 100 percent fit but is clearly a talented player. 

QP very pacey going forward would love to see an Arbroath team like that

Aye surprisingly for number 27 (Jarrett) that was only his very first start in the league. He’s barely even had minutes off the bench either, definitely earned his spot for next week after last night 

Was expecting Scott Allan to be involved at some point, especially when it became 1-1. Unfit ? Or just been generally rubbish ? 

Think Hamilton look most in trouble for the drop this season. Arbroath at least have some character throughout the squad, whereas Hamilton look woeful in all aspects on and off the park 

3 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Aye surprisingly for number 27 (Jarrett) that was only his very first start in the league. He’s barely even had minutes off the bench either, definitely earned his spot for next week after last night 

Was expecting Scott Allan to be involved at some point, especially when it became 1-1. Unfit ? Or just been generally rubbish ? 

Think Hamilton look most in trouble for the drop this season. Arbroath at least have some character throughout the squad, whereas Hamilton look woeful in all aspects on and off the park 

I don’t think he’s been poor, he’s played poor at times but mainly due to the fact we’ve put in some terrible overall team performances 

I was extremely disappointed with his sending off against Partick Thistle I thought that was pretty stinking and shouldn’t have happened especially after he’d had a first half where he was on the ball all the time and looking like he was getting into the swing of things 

I heard he had some terrible news last week and I have kind of put 2 and 2 together after seeing Twitter, think he had bad news about a friend early Saturday morning so he understandably wasn’t in last weeks squad and after our good performance last week I wouldn’t have put him back in today from the start either think Dick made the right call. Also I wouldn’t say he’s unfit but he’s not fully match fit and last nights game was played at some pace. I wouldn’t have put him on as a sub either. 

17 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

First and foremost the officials were honking. Linesman missed the worlds clearest handball from Arbroath on the side where QP fans are and Queen's had a couple dubious decisions go our way. O'Brien should not have ended the match on the park and it looked a stonewall penalty to me also. Par for the course for Beaton however, that clown will get absolutely riddied by VAR. 

Nonetheless, it does feel like 2 points lost. Thought our formation change was a positive and  our midfield wasnt as bypassed as much as recently. Feel for Bannon, i thought he had a good game otherwise and it's that naivety he'll learn from in time. 

You say Johnny Kenny, i say Conor McBride 2.0.

OC is still caring those three monkeys on his back, as I have said before, the big centre back, the Celtic player and the Rangers player none of them are good enough for this level and he is frightened to upset Celtic and Rangers by not playing them, and he has built up the big number 66, so much, he cannot lose face by not playing him. While Bannon is carrying the can for their goal, as BYOS has rightly commented on, it was nunber 66 who was out of position that caused their goal and Bannon's mistake.

Gaston is one of the best goalkeepers in Scotland and the reason he is not playing in the Premier League, is that he has a very good job and does not want to go fulltime. Lucky Arbroath.

11 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

OC is still caring those three monkeys on his back, as I have said before, the big centre back, the Celtic player and the Rangers player none of them are good enough for this level and he is frightened to upset Celtic and Rangers by not playing them, and he has built up the big number 66, so much, he cannot lose face by not playing him. While Bannon is carrying the can for their goal, as BYOS has rightly commented on, it was nunber 66 who was out of position that caused their goal and Bannon's mistake.

Gaston is one of the best goalkeepers in Scotland and the reason he is not playing in the Premier League, is that he has a very good job and does not want to go fulltime. Lucky Arbroath.

I mean it’s not lucky he’s exactly the kind of player we aim to attract with our model and set up

I mean it’s not lucky he’s exactly the kind of player we aim to attract with our model and set up

You’re lucky that such a player has no interest in being full time. Same with O’Brien. It’s not so much luck that Arbroath are able to attract them as they are seen as the top PT option in the country but it’s lucky that these guys are happy to play PT and have a job on the side.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re lucky that such a player has no interest in being full time. Same with O’Brien. It’s not so much luck that Arbroath are able to attract them as they are seen as the top PT option in the country but it’s lucky that these guys are happy to play PT and have a job on the side.

But there are a lot of players who have zero interest in being full time and there always have been players like that it’s not luck, our whole set up is to try and be at the top of the PT tree so we can get these guys

20 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Nah, firstly it was outside the box and secondly O’Brien just stood his ground, your boy ran into him and threw himself down. 

Nah.  O'Brien actually jumped into Williamson; pretty clear in the highlights. He then had the cheek to join Ricky Little in having a got at him. Outside the box but a definite foul.

A draw was fair although two outstanding saves from Gaston could have made that different.

Unfortunate mistake from Bannon but that's four fewer defensive blunders than last week. We're getting better.

How did that big sub stay on the park? 

41 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Nah.  O'Brien actually jumped into Williamson; pretty clear in the highlights. He then had the cheek to join Ricky Little in having a got at him. Outside the box but a definite foul.

A draw was fair although two outstanding saves from Gaston could have made that different.

Unfortunate mistake from Bannon but that's four fewer defensive blunders than last week. We're getting better.

How did that big sub stay on the park? 

It’s Fosu, think he’s out of his depth at this level but Dick keeps giving him chances. Very lucky to stay on park, the O’Brien one I think is just clever defensive play to be honest and the guy was never getting there he went a couple of steps more realised that and then fell over. What was Gaston’s other outstanding save? There was only one on the highlights 

For the QP goal too I’m not overly sure what’s happened, looks like there’s been a miscommunication between Little and Bitsindou but not sure why Little would leave his man there was only one other player in the box and Murray was marked by both ToB and Hammy. So 27 managed to wonder into a bit of space and get his goal 

Fosu had two fouls when he came on, both very clumsy but surely not worth two bookings. I’ve looked back at the O’Brien incident about 5 times and trying my best to look at without bias and just can’t really see how it would be a sending off, it’s not serious foul play as he bumps into him and it can’t be denying a goal scoring opportunity as the lad is getting nowhere near the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

That's Fosu's 5th yellow in 9 league appearances. Quite impressive actually, I reckon he could get to double figures before he's released in January.

Why would he be released?  I think he's done pretty well for us.  He's had to play up front, as a defensive midfielder, he's been stuck out on the wing, and he always puts in a good shift.  He seems to fit in the team well.  I like him, and I think he's worth having in the squad.

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Why would he be released?  I think he's done pretty well for us.  He's had to play up front, as a defensive midfielder, he's been stuck out on the wing, and he always puts in a good shift.  He seems to fit in the team well.  I like him, and I think he's worth having in the squad.

Put simply, he's not very good. He's played a variety of positions and not impressed in any of them. He can't hold the ball up, he's not that quick and he's definitely not a goalscorer. Miles off the level required.

But there are a lot of players who have zero interest in being full time and there always have been players like that it’s not luck, our whole set up is to try and be at the top of the PT tree so we can get these guys

Not entirely sure how it’s relevant how many players there are out there who don’t want to play full time. The point is that O’Brien is probably good enough to go and play for a lower Premiership side. But he can’t be fucked going full time so will stick with Arbroath. The club are lucky that part time football suits him better than full time football. It’s not hard to understand. The club aren’t doing anything amazing to be able to get Tam O’Brien. It’s all down to the player.