The Ton v Raith Rovers 15-10-22

Maybe I’m a bit old school, but much as I’ve always loved Raith Rovers’ stadium, I always rated them alongside Hamilton Accies as the most anti-football teams I’ve ever seen, so I don’t get this new Pep-espues poshness that they are somehow technically superior to Morton. Having said that, I like to see a variation in football between passing and being more direct. I really can’t remember Raith ever being the team with a style I would want to aspire to, so I just don’t get the tone from some Raith fans on here.

36 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Maybe I’m a bit old school, but much as I’ve always loved Raith Rovers’ stadium, I always rated them alongside Hamilton Accies as the most anti-football teams I’ve ever seen, so I don’t get this new Pep-espues poshness that they are somehow technically superior to Morton. Having said that, I like to see a variation in football between passing and being more direct. I really can’t remember Raith ever being the team with a style I would want to aspire to, so I just don’t get the tone from some Raith fans on here.

Are you vikingTONs mum?

7 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

You haven’t watched us at all in the last 4 years, have you? 

10 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

You obviously know nothing about us.

I’ve been watching Raith for 30+ years. We’ve had some honking teams but I’d never describe us as being even remotely anti-football in style.

And if you consider the teams of the early to mid-nineties and the last few years of McGlynns charge, we were the exact opposite of that.

Well RR fans can look forward to their team applying silky Pep Guardiola football on the Clyde this weekend.

Our groundsman has the grass pitch in bowling standard condition.

Only hope for us will be that the wee midget who got your second goal last time finds the grass too long.

Looks like we might be lucky if we steal a draw.

I am going for Ton 3 v 1 RR

4 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Well RR fans can look forward to their team applying silky Pep Guardiola football on the Clyde this weekend.

Only hope for us will be that the wee midget who got your second goal last time finds the grass too long.

We're responding to the false claim that we're anti football, now you come up with the low trick of the opposite extreme that we think we play like Manchester City. Keep up the low life sarcasm, its what's expected from your mob

21 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Hopefully our team of long-ball hammer-throwers go on the rampage. No mercy!

FWIW, I don't think Hank was bringing up that 'direct' stat as a way of being insulting, and nor should anyone. If you watched the Rovers through the second half of last season you'd know we were screaming for a direct option as the team passed itself into impotence.

Direct may get a bad name from the fact that because it requires maybe less tactical drilling it's often a simpler pattern of play and often used by teams who are struggling, but when deployed well it's extremely effective. McGlynn mk.1 teams were relentlessly percentage game driven during that 6 year period (which made his return and subsequent mcGlynn ball style all the more surprising). I do think Rovers are a bit more direct under Murray than McGlynn. Like everything it's a matter of degrees than polar opposites. The passing patterns are a little less intricate with less phases, we press higher up and do more off the ball work from the strikers.

As for Morton, they were more direct than us at Stark's park and I thought it was a good tactic under the circumstances. Quitongo was able to bully and harrass our less experienced defence all afternoon, and Morton's goal came directly from that type of move. A bit more final ball quality on the day and we might well have drawn or lost that game.

It's also a case that when the opposition is dung you don't often have to be all that intricate to get the ball in behind - I hope we are less shite than Hamilton to prevent some of the simpler (but not easy, that big diagonal from the centre back up front, for example) passes that Morton unlocked the Hamilton defence with.

I'd expect another clopse game with the first goal being decisive. Something you could write about 95% of all championship games. I'd likely start the same team as last week. Gullan put in a good forward's shift. Pressed well, set up two and scored one. Dick did jsut fine at centre back and personally I still am not entirely sold on Nolan anyway, plus Ngwenya gives you a bit more expansive play if required.

15 minutes ago, madton said:

Murray talking about how physical we are, we have 2 CBs and Muirhead and the rest are wee guys, even our keeper is small by keeper standards.

Raith had more 6ft+ guys in their starting 11 than us last weekend.

It's not just about height though. I mean, Quitongo was pretty good at using his strength to back into, and hold off our centre backs before turning them for pace and/or drawing the foul in the last game, for example.

On the flip side our most physical player is probably Scott Brown - not the tallest in the side but easily the one most willing to get close into an opponent, not shy of a tackle.

On 13/10/2022 at 09:56, stevoraith said:

I’ve been watching Raith for 30+ years. We’ve had some honking teams but I’d never describe us as being even remotely anti-football in style.

I seem to recall Raith shelling balls up to Armand One in the seaside leagues, whose tactic was to be built like the side of a house and do nothing with the ball. Raith under Levein were absolutely direct (Craig Levein and Marvin Andrews, so obviously this was the case). And the McGlynn team with Tade in it was also direct (Morton were similarly so under Irons at the time). 

I'm not sure who conflated direct with anti-football first, but there's no doubt that they're both being treated as being in the same ball park. Which I couldn't disagree with more, having suffered Jonathan Johansson's brand of utterly pointless, toothless, glacial pace 'possession football' as an alternative.

On 13/10/2022 at 12:44, renton said:

FWIW, I don't think Hank was bringing up that 'direct' stat as a way of being insulting, and nor should anyone. If you watched the Rovers through the second half of last season you'd know we were screaming for a direct option as the team passed itself into impotence.

Given the mewling about long throw-ins last season and the 'anti football' outrage after your win at Starks' earlier this season, you're stretching our credulity with that one I think. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Given the mewling about long throw-ins last season and the 'anti football' outrage after your win at Starks' earlier this season, you're stretching our credulity with that one I think. 

We've got two guys who love a long throw now in Connell and Frederiksen so we can't say much now. At least with Morton the long throws give Lewis Strapp something to get involved in and it's about the only positive thing he contributes on every occasion I've seen him.