The Ton v Raith Rovers 15-10-22

7 hours ago, grumswall said:
9 hours ago, Beachbum said:
£22 adult and £16 for concessions.
Pass

That's ridiculous pricing for a championship game regardless of the problems clubs face. The adult pricing isn't even the issue. £16 for a child? It's not really making it viable for the next generation of potential morton fans to attend games, never mind making it attractive to away fans to bring the family.

If the next generation of Morton fans want to attend games then they had/still have the chance to get a season ticket that would pay for itself after six matches. 

The far bigger problem facing that is the stewarding and total nonsense 'safeguarding' issue, not price. 

Will be interesting to see how we line up for this, normally I wouldn’t change a winning team. However, if Nolan is fit, there will be a decision to make. Dick did well at centre back and Ngwenya offered a lot at full back but for the challenges Morton provide (saw a stat earlier showing they are the most direct side in the country), Murray may prefer two natural physical centre backs with Dick going back to left back. Would be harsh on Ngwenya though.

Hopefully Spencer is fit, if he is, I wouldn’t change the midfield or attackers. I think the only question mark in that area at the moment is the left wing role. Easton and Ross vying for that position with Gullan also an option if Murray wants to start Frederiksen. I would continue with Ross for now though.

Couple of cracking results for Morton in their last two games so will be a very difficult game. Cappielow historically seems a place we struggle but our recent form there is actually quite good. Would settle for a draw but I think it’ll finish 2-1 Morton.

Having seen that stat of Morton being the most direct side in the country, I think we’d be daft not to have Frederiksen in the side to deal with it. Won’t get 90 mins out him yet tho, so it depends on if you want him to start or finish the game. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Having seen that stat of Morton being the most direct side in the country, I think we’d be daft not to have Frederiksen in the side to deal with it. Won’t get 90 mins out him yet tho, so it depends on if you want him to start or finish the game. 

While I'd have no issue with being described as a long ball side - I couldn't care less what style of football we play as long as it's effective - I do think the stat is a bit misleading. We regularly try to play balls over the top for players to chase, but hanging punts up in the air for a physical aerial contest with the opposition defence isn't something this team does often, because we don't have enough height in the team to do it. People see a stat about long balls and subconsciously translate that into "aimless punts", but with Ugwu away we don't have anyone to compete with centre backs for that kind of ball so rarely do it.

Going by the definitions used to compile those stats both our second and third goals on Saturday there involved long balls, but the second while definitely being a long ball was an excellently measured pass to find a well timed run off the shoulder of a defence playing a high line, while the third was a great passing move that involved clipping the ball down the wing to the full back who'd started the attack then made an overlapping run.

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Don’t want to sign up or register to the morton website, I just want to buy a ticket.

Why is this not an option ?

Tickets are also available to purchase on matchday from the Sinclair Street ticket office from 12pm right until kick-off.

Morton Tickets | Raith Rovers FC

14 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

While I'd have no issue with being described as a long ball side - I couldn't care less what style of football we play as long as it's effective - I do think the stat is a bit misleading. We regularly try to play balls over the top for players to chase, but hanging punts up in the air for a physical aerial contest with the opposition defence isn't something this team does often, because we don't have enough height in the team to do it. People see a stat about long balls and subconsciously translate that into "aimless punts", but with Ugwu away we don't have anyone to compete with centre backs for that kind of ball so rarely do it.

Going by the definitions used to compile those stats both our second and third goals on Saturday there involved long balls, but the second while definitely being a long ball was an excellently measured pass to find a well timed run off the shoulder of a defence playing a high line, while the third was a great passing move that involved clipping the ball down the wing to the full back who'd started the attack then made an overlapping run.

Maybe counts throw ins too? Not sure.

15 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

That top paragraph sums up why I enjoyed McGlynn's first Rovers team. We were never technical, but in the season we had Baird and Tade up top they were tremendous to watch. We'd put the ball into the channel with two players who would bomb about the pitch and defenders absolutely despised it. Tade was more of an athlete than a footballer at that point. It might not have been the prettiest to watch,  but it almost got us promoted.

On 11/10/2022 at 06:52, virginton said:

If the next generation of Morton fans want to attend games then they had/still have the chance to get a season ticket that would pay for itself after six matches. 

The far bigger problem facing that is the stewarding and total nonsense 'safeguarding' issue, not price. 

Not sure of the arithmetic,  12-17 Yo is £12, Season ticket £120, so pays in ten games.

Safeguarding issue a loss to me.

Don't understand why set at 12, surely at 10 kids are able to generally look after themselves and get to the game safely.

At that age I travelled from Smithton by bus and had no issues, ok maybe buses don't run anymore and had a few drunks on them.

Stewarding is a killjoy haragnin the away away goolie is all part of the kids matchday experience.

If we see it as an issue erect an safety net behind the goal.

On 10/10/2022 at 16:05, DreamOakTree1 said:

A stop past Cartsdyke is Greenock Central, so you’ll be close to The James Watt, The Lighthouse, Tail O’ The Bank or The Old Bank, which would be my preference.

On 10/10/2022 at 16:55, virginton said:

Either go two stops further to Greenock West - The Willow is opposite the station entrance; or two stops earlier at Port Glasgow. Cross to the opposite platform and the Caledonian Bar is also right across the street from the station entrance. 

On 10/10/2022 at 17:15, Dunning1874 said:

Going to West and The Willow would be my recommendation as well. The Old Bank is shut down now so the only place showing football near Central will be The Lighthouse, which is a bit smaller than The Willow if there's a crowd of you.

Either way, you'll be able to get a train back to Cartsdyke at 44/46 minutes past from West/Central.

Cheers folks, really good of you and really helpful. Always like sampling the Norseman but fancied something different for a few hours first - these options all look ideal!

17 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Kick and rush came to mind

48 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Cheers folks, really good of you and really helpful. Always like sampling the Norseman but fancied something different for a few hours first - these options all look ideal!

Yep as others have said, if you're looking to watch the half 12 game then defo go to The Willow or The Lighthouse Bar but if you're just wanting a swally n munch you'd be as well just going to the Jimmy Watt (Weatherspoons) 

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
4 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:
Assisted by 2 long throws 

Quite possible if Connell is on the pitch at the time in fairness.

Except Little John likes to take the throws, and that leave Connell trying to get up to them!