Dumbarton v Albion Rovers

Saturday 15th October sees Sons return home after a run of three away games during which we recorded one point and yesterday took a 6-0 pasting at Stirling. Rovers picked up a good win yesterday, but before Saturday they have a tricky Tuesday night trip to Elgin City to negotiate. Hopefully Dumbarton can get back to winning ways and the midweek efforts by the Vers give us the edge, but Rovers are no mugs. Looking forward to it, mainly because it's a day on the beer in my favourite local hostelries with 90 minutes of football thrown in.

Predictions? Rants? Conspiracies? Let's have them.

Stirling and Stenny play each other so a win could stretch our lead potentially.

Its a case of do we go back to the original plan or shake things up.Love and Orsi to return to the starting 11 maybe.

I actually thought our line up at stirling was the right one but how wrong could one be.

Anyone's guess who starts. 

I'd definitely expect changes after that horsing. Though I suspect they're unlikely to be in defence as the back four we generally pick is arguably our strongest one. So probably changes from middle to front, plus likely back to the usual 4-1-4-1 formation probably, given Farrell's comments post match yesterday about his formation change not working.

It's dangerous to underestimate Rovers as we do play some good football. Despite our lowly position we have the 2nd tightest defence behind Stirling.

As this is our first visit in a number of years is the stadium bar still only for home fans and is the Rock Bowling Club still open for us visiting fans to have a few snifters before k-o? Also, is the Stag's Head near the railway station still open?

11 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

It's dangerous to underestimate Rovers as we do play some good football. Despite our lowly position we have the 2nd tightest defence behind Stirling.

As this is our first visit in a number of years is the stadium bar still only for home fans and is the Rock Bowling Club still open for us visiting fans to have a few snifters before k-o? Also, is the Stag's Head near the railway station still open?

Stags is still there. More welcoming now as it was notoriously unfriendly in the past. Away fans are welcome in our club bar and if I'm not mistaken we've got a bar in the away end these days.

I'm hoping we try and go back to what's worked earlier in the season tactically rather than anything else here. Stranraer we had to make changes because of work, Forfar we tried Wallace as the number 9, yesterday we tried not defending it seems so I'm hoping this has been an experimental phase and nothing else. 

This is one of those weird ones for us where I hope yesterday has absolutely fired everyone up and we can get back to winning ways. The alternative, well, is something I'd hope we don't come across. 

Albion Rovers would count themselves unlucky with the result earlier in the league against us and that was with 10 men. If it takes a red card, penalty and fluke cross/shot for the win then I'll take it again. 

Stags is still there. More welcoming now as it was notoriously unfriendly in the past. Away fans are welcome in our club bar and if I'm not mistaken we've got a bar in the away end these days.
It used to be terrible

Hopfully we play well,

Just to note, we haven't won away to Dumbarton since a 4-1 win March 2001, also the only time we have ever won at The Rock since Dumbarton moved there

3 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

It used to be terrible

Hopfully we play well,

Just to note, we haven't won away to Dumbarton since a 4-1 win March 2001, also the only time we have ever won at The Rock since Dumbarton moved there

Away win, then.

I think it'll be very interesting to see what Faz does here. He could genuinely replace the entire team and I don't think anyone could have any major complaints. But I think he might stick (mainly) with the players who got us to the top of the league.

Given how McNiff was torn to shreds I think we'll see Ally Love come back in to offer a wee bit more defensive protection, likewise I wouldn't be shocked to see Kalvin Orsi replace Ross MacLean on the right. Hopefully we'll see Joe McKee back in midfield; our best performances have all been when he's played, and that's no coincidence.

Declan Byrne is our biggest attacking threat and absolutely has to start. After being rested at Forfar and then hooked at half-time on Saturday, he really should be fired up and have a point to prove.

If we get the first goal then I think we'll win. If we concede first then things could start to get a bit unpleasant. 

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think it'll be very interesting to see what Faz does here. He could genuinely replace the entire team and I don't think anyone could have any major complaints. But I think he might stick (mainly) with the players who got us to the top of the league.

Given how McNiff was torn to shreds I think we'll see Ally Love come back in to offer a wee bit more defensive protection, likewise I wouldn't be shocked to see Kalvin Orsi replace Ross MacLean on the right. Hopefully we'll see Joe McKee back in midfield; our best performances have all been when he's played, and that's no coincidence.

Declan Byrne is our biggest attacking threat and absolutely has to start. After being rested at Forfar and then hooked at half-time on Saturday, he really should be fired up and have a point to prove.

If we get the first goal then I think we'll win. If we concede first then things could start to get a bit unpleasant. 

McNiff wasn't struggling due to lack of cover, he was 'torn to shreds' by a chronic lack of pace, and Love or anyone else can't alter that.  IIRC Rovers had a speed merchant on the right wing so that's a worry.

I agree on McKee, provided he turns up, but whilst Orsi will do more working deep than McLean we are at home in a game we want to win so we need some sort of goal threat.

I also agree on Declan Byrne but the boy Haaland would be fecked in our team by 'passes' 60 yards long by 15 feet high.  Stevie Farrell should be hammering that message.

7 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Better wait til next month and you should get 2 games for 20 quid..stranraer and forfar.

Yeah, that’s probably a smarter shout. I’m working at 4.30, too, so I wouldn’t even see the full game!

Edited by FifeSons

Lynch the only player still out for us according to the preview, so no real squad excuses. Especially with Rovers having trekked up to Elgin midweek.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Partially because it feels like we have barely played at home this season, and partially because I'm absolutely choking to get last weekend out of my system. A scrappy 1-0 would do me. Especially with Stenny and Stirling Albion playing each other.

It'll be interesting to see our response after last week. In terms of team selection, tactics, but also just how we look confidence wise on the pitch. This game could be a real indicator of the direction we're heading in.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Lynch the only player still out for us according to the preview, so no real squad excuses. Especially with Rovers having trekked up to Elgin midweek.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Partially because it feels like we have barely played at home this season, and partially because I'm absolutely choking to get last weekend out of my system. A scrappy 1-0 would do me. Especially with Stenny and Stirling Albion playing each other.

It'll be interesting to see our response after last week. In terms of team selection, tactics, but also just how we look confidence wise on the pitch. This game could be a real indicator of the direction we're heading in.

A scrappy 1-0 would certainly give us a welcome three points.  But I want more than that; I want a performance in which we take the game to the opposition from the first whistle; a performance in which we ditch hopeless long balls and actually PASS the ball thro the midfield; a performance where we don't take the lead and then shitfest out a result.  In other words let's see a performance from a team at the top of the league with genuine title ambitions.