Referees in Europe

Stylish Kid

I know we're forever complaining about the standard of refereeing in Scotland, but I never cease to be baffled by decisions made by referees in European matches.

Quite simply there are multiple occasions per match where an incident occurs (e.g. a foul), that is dealt with completely differently - e.g. booking for one team but the opposition doesn't get anything.

I know that we're a tinpot league but I'm genuinely shocked at the performances of European referees (particularly in lower-level matches)

Anyone else?

The more pertinent thing for me is why VAR isn't in the Conference League.  I'm guessing it's to do with stadium infrastructure.  i reckon Neilson stays on last night of that goes to VAR.  Jovic is never getting to that ball even if Neilson isn't anywhere near him.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The more pertinent thing for me is why VAR isn't in the Conference League.  I'm guessing it's to do with stadium infrastructure.  i reckon Neilson stays on last night of that goes to VAR.  Jovic is never getting to that ball even if Neilson isn't anywhere near him.

Not seen it back, but didn't the goalie handball it outside the box as well? If that's given as a red it's only 1-0 and they'd be down to 10.

Agree with the OP though, there's no consistency even within the same 90 minutes.