Livingston v Ross County (Sat 8th Oct)

Tough one to take, undeserved defeat, a point would have been fair. Plenty of possession during the game and did hee haw with it. An all too familiar sight - plenty of the ball but a counter attack/error from Livingston concedes the points. 

County were very lucky to finish the game with 11 men, but thems the breaks.

Guthrie will/should feel disappointed with his shift today. Seemed to be a hindrance to his team-mates at times, not as good as Nouble at holding the ball up and his first touch was pretty bad. Needs to cut out the dramatic dives and complaining to the ref act.

Plenty of possession but no end product - big opportunity for points lost today, same last week as well. Very frustrating.

The free tickets given to County didn't go down well at all eh.

That was a bit pathetic really. Knew as soon as the half time whistle went that County were winning that 1-0, chance after chance yet I don't think the County keeper needed to make a save in the first half, we've only got one player I'd be confident of finishing a chance and he was (understandably due to injury) on the bench for most of the game. 

Other than the goalmouth scramble there was no point we looked like scoring, a lot of "getting the ball in the right place" immediately followed by passing it some more until its finally lost. Stephen Kelly was almost a breath of fresh air as he actually looked like trying to get a shot off.

Off the pitch I hope that cringeworthy patter over the tannoy is packed in, I'm all for the enthusiasm which was good to hear but the "Musselburgh Xavi" etc shite was toe-curling. 

42 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Ah good, Malky gets a reprieve. 🤮

As virtue signalling goes, that’s right up there. 👌

Expected absolutely nothing from this match, so 3 points is hopefully the boost we need to kick start our season. I gather by all accounts it could and should have been 2-1. 
Was Sean Kelly really at CB? That’s madness.

Livi played well 1st half,then ran out of ideas  second half,County looked more dangerous  in 15min than Livi did the whole game
Livi could have played all day and never scored, 3 upfront and still hopeless ,certain players won't shoot when chances appear,take the easy option with a needless  pass.The back door was left open too often in the second half,and they were caught  out with a good move,Livi didn't  have that lethal attacking in them,they ended up being bogged down on the edge of the county box with little idea of how to break them down

George 5/10  Nothing to do
Devlin  6/10 
Obileye 5/10 Needs to do his main job first DEFENDING 
Kelly   3/10  Does nothing well
Montaño 3/10  Very quiet,drifted away 
Shinnie 0/10  Absolutely hopeless,lazy as feck
Holt    6/10  One pass to many
Pittman 6/10  Good 1st half,plenty effort,drifted 2nd half  
Bahamboula 6/10   Very good 1st half, invisible 2nd
Guthrie    1/10   Cant take good chances,useless
Nouble     6/10  Was better today especially  first half, the guy is left to do too much

Anderson   No effect today
Kelly      Busy bee done alright 
Penrice   Too late a sub

2 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

As virtue signalling goes, that’s right up there. 👌

I love we live in an era where not ignoring the guy who indulged in racism & has never bothered showing contrition as far as we're away is painted as a bad thing. Genius take. Because what I really crave is the approval from some football fans I've never met on a forum I barely post on.

18 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Sean Kelly at CB didn't work last time, so why is Martindale trying it again? Get him at CM or get him binned asap. We look dead in the water when we dont start Fitzwater/Anderson

Did Livi no scout how shite he is? For a massive lad he's pish defensively.

Did Livi no scout how shite he is? For a massive lad he's pish defensively.

Just started laughing to myself at the goal. Every time I’ve seen Livi so far this season, be it Sportscene or Hesgoal or whatever, he’s been absolutely fine. However, that was the Sean Kelly I’m absolutely used to right there.

8 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I love we live in an era where not ignoring the guy who indulged in racism & has never bothered showing contrition as far as we're away is painted as a bad thing. Genius take. Because what I really crave is the approval from some football fans I've never met on a forum I barely post on.

Well then why do it? 😂

38 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

Tough one to take, undeserved defeat, a point would have been fair.

Had a strange feeling of déjà vu when I read that but can't think why.  Can any of you guys help me out?

Reiterating what has been said before. Shinnie, as per most of his appearances for the club, is an empty Jersey and rarely contributes something positive. Exceptionally talented, the " pointy man" as he's is recognised as in our section is terrific at waving his arms about , telling others what to do , while being a lazy git.

Martingale has tried with Sean Kelly to convert him into a) a  solid defensive midfielder b) a comfortable centre back.  Failed on both counts. Fans from other clubs where he had been warned us about him being shit but it seems we were wrong to ignore them, especially with 2 competent centre backs warming their bums on the bench.,

Finishing , we had 13 efforts at goal before we got 1 on target. Shooting practice this week lads.

It's frustrating as there are good players out there and we can deliver some good build up play.  Must win next week to get the confidence built up.

Using Guthrie as a target and trying to pick up second balls off him can be very useful in matches where we're the weaker team. But at home against teams playing how County did today, you need to have a more deliberate attacking strategy. I'd have had Nouble at centre forward, Shinnie at left wing and either Sean Kelly up into midfield with Cancar coming in at centre back, or Steven Kelly coming into the midfield. We needed to play deliberate, patient, properly constructed attacking today, not the more direct "percentage ball" stuff using an aerial target man. I also felt Guthrie occupied the attacking space where eg. Pittman could've been arriving late into when Nouble and Bahamboula were looking to pick out someone to finish after their excellent wide play. Guthrie just stood there each time with a County centre back either side of him, blocking our own route to goal. Nouble should've been centre forward today, coming deep, drifting into channels or out wide, pulling their central defence around to leave space for Shinnie, Pittman, et al to run into. I heard Mackay's after-match interview and he said he had County defending with their low defensive line and maintaining their shape rather than pressing, allowing us to just play it to Guthrie and then they focused on winning the second balls. He knew Livi were going to do that today and we blunted ourselves with that attacking strategy. 

I thought Stephen Kelly coming on for Shinnie was the wrong sub too. That should've been Anderson, the width should've been properly maintained with Nouble and Bahamboula, and we should've gone 4-4-2. Guthrie's knock downs may've finally worked as a tactic had we done that as Anderson could've got onto them. Instead Martindale put Guthrie wide right where he was completely ineffective. 

Well done, County, earned their win. Excellent play by Hiwula and good following in by Edwards for the goal. It's brilliant seeing the second stand populated like today and all the new faces around me too. Having that as a normal home crowd is possible and I hope we can in time attract those numbers.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Off the pitch I hope that cringeworthy patter over the tannoy is packed in, I'm all for the enthusiasm which was good to hear but the "Musselburgh Xavi" etc shite was toe-curling. 

Holt is fantastic but more our Mascherano. I think Omeonga is our Xavi, he sets the tone for our build up more than Holt or Pittman and we missed him today. 

Edit: "Musselburgh Mascherano" alliterates too like Broxburn Buffon for Maley. About the tannoy announcements, the half time ones were great. I liked hearing where all the ticket groups were coming from.

Edited by FreedomFarter