Ayr United v Queen's Park

What a performance!

Dipo was outstanding today. Thought Mullin and Chalmers were excellent on the wings. Overall an excellent Ayr performance.

Despite us being 2 up at half time I honestly thought Queens Park edged the first half. They looked incisive on the attack and had some good chances. Albinson had some good saves.

2nd half Queens Park didn't turn up and we were pretty comfortable. Dempsey's flick for the goal was delightful .

Musonda and Kirk were class personified today. Dipo of course being the other standout. Chalmers, Smith and Albinson not far behind. Chalmers is a lovely football player. Daire was also a joy to watch at times when he came on. 

I think Bangala might be woeful unfortunately. 

I thought Bangala was fine. Definitely someone who’s limited on the ball but can be useful out of possession. He absolutely bodied a Queens Park player on the touch line so if he keeps that up he’ll be okay in my book.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I thought Bangala was fine. Definitely someone who’s limited on the ball but can be useful out of possession. He absolutely bodied a Queens Park player on the touch line so if he keeps that up he’ll be okay in my book.

When you say useful out of possession though, I’m not sure he made a successful challenge….. 

Regardless, it isn’t the night for critiques really, and it would be harsh to write him off based on twenty minutes. 

I genuinely believe we have the starting eleven to win this league though, but it all depends on injuries. We have decent cover in most positions, but Kirk and especially Musonda and Dipo are irreplaceable. We have excellent options out wide, but Chalmers brings that extra bit of quality too. 

ETA, before today I would have said Murdoch and Dempsey were irreplaceable too - hopefully Smith can maintain that level of performance when he comes in too.

Edited by No_Problemo

Really entertaining game today. In the first half I didn't think Queens were that bad going forward but we were far more clinical.

Overall though we worked far harder and I thought our press was pretty good.

It was a pretty decent overall team performance and achieved without Andy Murdoch who has been one of the standouts this season. Top marks to Dipo, obviously, but also Charlie in goal. He's having a fine start to the season. Loan signings look really good and up for it which isn't always the case. 

And to be able to empty the bench and give folk game time will stand us in good stead when injuries and suspensions kick in 

With the exception of Murdoch I think there’s a case for saying that that was our strongest starting eleven. It might not be possible to play with what was essentially a front four in every game but we were never overrun in midfield and Chalmers and Mullin did a lot of good work in helping out defensively. Brad Young also does a lot of good work to help Dipo and reminds me a lot of Craig Moore. He’ll score a few goals this season which should take the pressure off the main man.

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

With the exception of Murdoch I think there’s a case for saying that that was our strongest starting eleven. It might not be possible to play with what was essentially a front four in every game but we were never overrun in midfield and Chalmers and Mullin did a lot of good work in helping out defensively. Brad Young also does a lot of good work to help Dipo and reminds me a lot of Craig Moore. He’ll score a few goals this season which should take the pressure off the main man.

I don’t agree in the first half we were overrun consistently in the the middle. Difference was we took our chances and they didn’t. 

Queens Park were fine in the first half, Albison had a couple of really important saves at 0-0 and 1-0. They completely sacked it once the 3rd went in and it was delightful to see Murray chuck his toys out the pram after the 5th.

They can kid themselves on all they want about it being a long term project and sustainable but to bring that kind of support to a game 30 miles away when a win takes them top of the 2nd tier is a minter. I've seen garbage like Albion Rovers bring a bigger away support in the 3rd tier. It's Gretna MK2 but at least they cruised the leagues before going tits up.

22 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Queens Park were fine in the first half, Albison had a couple of really important saves at 0-0 and 1-0. They completely sacked it once the 3rd went in and it was delightful to see Murray chuck his toys out the pram after the 5th.

They can kid themselves on all they want about it being a long term project and sustainable but to bring that kind of support to a game 30 miles away when a win takes them top of the 2nd tier is a minter. I've seen garbage like Albion Rovers bring a bigger away support in the 3rd tier. It's Gretna MK2 but at least they cruised the leagues before going tits up.

Agreed. That away support was shite. I'm not giving them the 'trains on strike' excuse either, there were probably more home fans from Glasgow than away fans. Not a knock on those that did come, thought they supported their team quite well. 

13 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Haven’t listened to Coyle yet but my best advice to him is find a leader on the park.

I was surprised when we let Peter Grant go. He had his failings but he was an organiser and seemed a natural leader.

Thomas and Robson gave it everything but we gave away possession time and time again and we looked all at sea at the back.

We can play football, we can’t fight. Utterly chucked it yesterday. Zero positives. Not a single one. Shite. Had a pint in my hand by 4.20pm. They didn’t even deserve the energy that abusing them off the pitch would have used up. Folk been working all week, possibly even folk in the support out and strike, and they gave us nothing. 

12 hours ago, placidcasual said:

12 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Agreed. That away support was shite. I'm not giving them the 'trains on strike' excuse either, there were probably more home fans from Glasgow than away fans. Not a knock on those that did come, thought they supported their team quite well. 

Embarrassing takes from both of you here, crowd wanking is pathetic under pretty much any circumstances I'm afraid.

Our already small support is currently making a nearly 50 mile round trip for home games, at a time when the cost of living is a serious concern for many. People can be forgiven for not wanting/being able to travel to away games too.