Ayr United v Queen's Park

This could be 5-5. The 2 goals we lost against Morton were both from individual errors. Akinyemi will have a field day if we defend like that tomorrow. But again, we scored a great goal, missed an absolute sitter and could’ve scored a couple more with a bit more composure. 

What I’m trying to say is f*ck knows what the score will be. 

Pretty much agree with most of the above comments from Ayr fans. We need to get back to winning. 

When we played Queens Park at Ochilview we spent a lot of first half sat off of them, giving them time and space to knock the ball about, which they can be very good at. When we got in their faces, restricted space and focused on our directness both down the wings and to Dipo, they fell apart and really struggled to cope. We need to be on top of the game from the start. If not I can see us toiling against a side that have proven they're very capable on their day.

10 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Been a lot of rain here too but the San Somerset pitch should be absolutely fine I think. May get a bit torn up by the end of the game depending how much more rain there is tomorrow and Saturday.

Heavy all day today up to about 7pm. Dry tomorrow. Courtesy of the Met Office.

Perhaps time to remember that nobody tuns up to have a bad day. Aside of all the technical malfunctions, Morton were at us literally from the kick-off and it's not such a bad time for our lads to get a reminder that nothing will come easy in this league. I'll be very surprised, and concerned, if Coyle doesn't revert to the set-up that's worked well for us so far.

That said, there might well be e few more dull days to come. Several comments here already from Ayr fans, and a couple from Morton, highlighting that the "get intae them" tactic is likely to get results and so far there's a lot of validity in that. We had a good start last year too but after the first round of games coaches had us figured out and we bobbled along for the rest of the season. We'll know in the next few weeks if that pattern is emerging again.

I'll go 3-2 to QP with an extremely dubious penalty late in the game, that the SFA Referee Committe will later apologise to Ayr United for the match official getting it wrong.

Mon the Spiders1

On 05/10/2022 at 10:42, callum-ayr said:

Well after last night's results going our way and losing a couple on the bounce, it's a chance for us to reclaim second (also dependent on Friday night).  Think we might see a few changes for this one, we really need to see some others chipping in with some goals:

Albinson

Houston Kirk Musonda Reading

Mullin Murdoch Dempsey Chalmers

Akinyemi Young

Subs: McAdams, McAllister, McGinty, Bangala, JML, Smith, O'Connor, Ashford, McKenzie

Hoping for a big reaction and a return to our best defence.  Going for an optimistic 3-1 win, Akinyemi, Young and Mullin.

Totally agree and like the look of that team, my only concern though is whether Ashford and McKenzie contribute more to the team as a "sum of their parts" as opposed to being dramatically good as individuals, but I suppose leaving them out and playing potentially better individuals would answer this conundrum.

I also didn't think Dipo was at his best / sharp on Saturday as he normally is, whether this was down to excellent defending from Inverness or due to the lay off or a combination of both, who knows, but whatever he does we definitely can't fault his attitude or workrate even when things aren't dropping for him.

Will we get a repeat of QP and Ayr 1st half at Ochilview or will it be the 2nd half showing from both ?

I know which one I'd choose......

17 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

What's the drainage like at Somerset Park? Glasgow is awash.

There are no drains beneath the pitch. The top soil is comprised of a combination of sand, peat, fertiliser and lime. There is also a slight crown. Extremely unlikely to get waterlogged. 

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Ashford and McKenzie contribute more to the team as a "sum of their parts" as opposed to being dramatically good as individuals

Ashford offers a lot in support and should play most weeks, while not looking like scoring, he does cause a lot of problems and wins free-kicks around the box.

On Saturday however, he offered nothing and was deservedly hooked at half time. I think JML offered a lot more direct running when he came on but I would be keen to start Chalmers and maybe O’Conner at the expense of Mullen, McKenzie or Ashford. If he is planning on playing McKenzie wide right again then there are far better options. 

36 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ashford offers a lot in support and should play most weeks, while not looking like scoring, he does cause a lot of problems and wins free-kicks around the box.

On Saturday however, he offered nothing and was deservedly hooked at half time. I think JML offered a lot more direct running when he came on but I would be keen to start Chalmers and maybe O’Conner at the expense of Mullen, McKenzie or Ashford. If he is planning on playing McKenzie wide right again then there are far better options. 

We need the 2 wide men to contribute more in the attacking third.  Unfortunately, for all his work rate, that just isn’t Ashford.  He rarely beats a man or puts in a cross and just never looks like scoring.  That said, Bullen clearly likes a workhorse so starting Mullen and Chalmers might be too much for him.  Beginning to think Bangala must be a complete turkey as he never seems to feature.

27 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We need the 2 wide men to contribute more in the attacking third.  Unfortunately, for all his work rate, that just isn’t Ashford.  He rarely beats a man or puts in a cross and just never looks like scoring.  That said, Bullen clearly likes a workhorse so starting Mullen and Chalmers might be too much for him.  Beginning to think Bangala must be a complete turkey as he never seems to feature.

From what I’ve seen of Mullen, I’m not keen on him, He looks more of a wide midfielder than an out and out winger. Chalmers looked impressive though.

Bangala has looked ok but Bullen said he hadn’t played for six months so will need game time to get up to speed. The two have worked in midfield all season so I’d be reluctant to change that anyway. 

Extra wee spice to tomorrow now with Queens Park going top with a win, and us going into a three way tie at the top with a win. 

Albinson 

Houston       Kirk     Musonda     Reading

Murdoch   Dempsey 

Mullen               Chalmers              JML 

Akinyemi